Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Due to extremely heavy call volume

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Due to extremely heavy call volume

your call can not be answered. I get this 9 out of 10 times I call for an award resevation. I'm thinking they have like 1 agent and are discouraging me from using the phone. Too bad their website is incapable of handling my request. It's rather frustrating.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
it's sad because they don't at least let you languish on hold.. i'd rather sit on hold and than repeatedly call back.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Keeping pax on hold on an 800 number cost $$$$

NW is reducing costs by not having pax hold when there is an excessive wait time.

It cost NWA money for every minute you are on hold, it is better to advise you that they are backed up and release your line than to keep you on hold until they get to you (20 + minutes) and the other senario, you stay on hold for example, 16 minutes then hang up.

NWA eats the long distance cost while you were on hold.

RC
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I know that.

The issue is, it's very irritating to have to keep calling back when one is on a timeschedule and can't call back in an hour but only has time then to call.

people get off the phones every 5 seconds, it's just like playing the lotto.

and the cost savings are NOT that high, even when pooling everything together.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

I agree that its better to refuse to hold than put custumer on hold for 20 minutes without informing them of the time. My real point is that this does not seem to be a rare occurance, but rather happens much more oftren than not. I think NW needs more phone agents. I don't seem to have a problem getting ahold of someone if I wish to purchase a ticket, only if I wish to use an award. It seems clear to me that NW does not really care that much about me redeeming an award.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 5:26 pm

Programs: NW Gold Elite
I remember about 10 years ago AA had a call-back system. I think it's gone now (never call AA anymore), but it seemed like a good idea at the time to reduce the phone bill.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I think the issue is who are they trying to get as a customer. If I buy high priced ticket, because it is complicated and can not do it online. How many times will I call versus call someone else. If I am calling to buy a ticket, because it is cheapest I will call back. NWA needs to figure out who they want for customers.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
Originally Posted by Radiocycle
NW is reducing costs by not having pax hold when there is an excessive wait time.

It cost NWA money for every minute you are on hold, it is better to advise you that they are backed up and release your line than to keep you on hold until they get to you (20 + minutes) and the other senario, you stay on hold for example, 16 minutes then hang up.

NWA eats the long distance cost while you were on hold.

RC
Not only that. The system they have now enables them to have a lower number of lines comparing with the system when people's calls would be parked in the hold queue.

I, as a silver, have not experienced this "Call back later" thing but once during 2005. And I have been calling NWA quite a lot (3-4 times per week) regarding my award ticket.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:17 pm

don't forget, nw's call centre is in Phillipines.
So, yes, the 800 hold is costing more money than usual.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:19 pm

Uh, no.

The call centers are in Tampa, Minneapolis and Seattle.

Originally Posted by any007
don't forget, nw's call centre is in Phillipines.
So, yes, the 800 hold is costing more money than usual.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:26 pm

Hm, I learned from FT that one of the call centers is in Hawaii and that there is also another one (perhaps the GE/PE line) that is in Chisholm, MN.

I've received the "heavy call volume" more on CO than on NW. Could be that I'm calling the CO base number and the NW elite line, though.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Hm, I learned from FT that one of the call centers is in Hawaii and that there is also another one (perhaps the GE/PE line) that is in Chisholm, MN.
I left out Chistholm and Baltimore.

There is no Honolulu location.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:32 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I thought these large call centers had arrangements for telephone service that is a fixed amount (or fixed per line I should say). It doesn't make any sense to bill for millions of minutes a month, but I could be wrong.

Has the idea of hiring more people to actually answer the phone ever come across at NW? Or is that just too bizarre of a suggestion?
Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:49 pm

Programs: NW, Marriott, HHonors, Westin
Instead of using the "book award reservation" phone menus, just tell it you are booking a new reservation. and see if you don't get through. I have had very different response times in the past between calls "concerning an existing reservation" and new reservation calls placed consecutively. My hypothesis is new reservation calls generate revenue, but existing reservation calls don't. It's not hard to imagine that worldperks calls go in the same non-revenue call queue.

I don't pull this trick unless I get kicked out going the "real" way, but I'm thinking about using it more in the future.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:30 am

Yes the least they could do is let you hold on the line...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.