Old Jul 19, 2005, 9:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
92% of mechs vote for strike

Its official here it goes

Last edited by rwill11; Jul 19, 2005 at 3:25 pm
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:02 am

wow... you're good. This hasn't even been reported in any of the usual news outlets yet (StarTribune, The Freep), nor does Google list it.

Here is a link to a PDF file from AMFA Local 33 confirming that yes, 92.4% of members voted to authorize a strike.

Last edited by DJMeatBall; Jul 23, 2005 at 7:35 am Reason: removed a sentence
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
wow... you're good. This hasn't even been reported in any of the usual news outlets yet (StarTribune, The Freep), nor does Google list it.

But, to assist RadioCycle in his punting all these NWA-centric & interesting articles over to the subforum, here is a link to a PDF file from AMFA Local 33 confirming that yes, 92.4% of members voted to authorize a strike.
Im a day trader and have to be on top of things. I wish you would stop posting your quotes to religate my posts. There are alot of NW fliers out there that would like this info asap so they can plan their purchases without getting stuck somewhere

Last edited by rwill11; Jul 19, 2005 at 10:23 am
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by rwill11
Im a day trader and have to be on top off things. I wish you would stop posting your quotes to religate my posts. There are alot of NW fliers out there that would like this info asap so they can plan their purchases without getting stuck somewhere
No joke...this is an important topic, probably the most important in the forum right now. So let's leave it here where people can easily access it, comment, etc.

Last edited by Phil2016; Jul 19, 2005 at 10:25 am
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta, AA
What is the earliest date an actual strike could take place?
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snackyx
31 days after mediation board declares an impasse. They should announce this today or tommorrow
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
30 days after the National Mediation Board releases both sides from talks, which has not yet happened. But the expectation is that the release will occur shortly.

Edit: Beat me to it...and yes, 31 days, as the 30 days is the cooling off period, after which (day 31) a strike can occur.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by snackyx
My guess is for August 20th.

Is a lockout bound to the same rules?
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fromYXU
My guess is for August 20th.

Is a lockout bound to the same rules?
yes
Old Jul 19, 2005, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by rwill11
I wish you would stop posting your quotes to religate my posts. There are alot of NW fliers out there that would like this info asap so they can plan their purchases without getting stuck somewhere
Hey, I was posting my "RC is going to boot this thread" comment to point out the lameness of the Newsstand subforum. Of course the likelihood of a strike is important information any Northwest frequent flyer is going to want to be aware of.

So perhaps this thread will actually stay put here, in the main NWA forum?

Last edited by DJMeatBall; Jul 19, 2005 at 1:04 pm
Old Jul 19, 2005, 2:11 pm

I know that Northwest has pledged to keep flying in case of a strike, but what do we suppose the likelihood is that they will keep all flights or be anywhere near on time?

I'm planning a wedding in Minneapolis for the end of August, and the vast majority of our guests are flying in on NWA, so I'm definitely concerned. My fiance and I, fortunately, are scheduled to fly to MSP on 8/19, so it looks like we at least will narrowly avoid the strike. (And our honeymoon plans involve only Delta & Continental flights).
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
August 11 is my last day of NWA travel for the year, so no worries here even if they go on strike

Any further booking on NWA will depend on labor dispute situation. I'll wait and see.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by kersie
I'm planning a wedding in Minneapolis for the end of August, and the vast majority of our guests are flying in on NWA, so I'm definitely concerned. My fiance and I, fortunately, are scheduled to fly to MSP on 8/19, so it looks like we at least will narrowly avoid the strike. (And our honeymoon plans involve only Delta & Continental flights).
We've got a lot of wedding guests coming to NJ on NW for the August 20-21 weekend, too. Probably won't be as bad as trying to get to MSP, though...
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
Can NW realistically survive a strike even with replacement workers? One article mentioned that other unions could join the mechanics in a strike. Anyone know if that would be decided well in advance or would be done at the last minute?
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:00 pm

Programs: NWA Gold
Should I be worried about flying NGO-DTW-MSY on September 17th? I'm wondering whether or not to buy now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.