Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

It's Miller Time! NW makes Miller Light Official Light Beer on all flights worldwide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's Miller Time! NW makes Miller Light Official Light Beer on all flights worldwide

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2005, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Only bud light gets the AX- I still get my Sludgewiser!

I love my Sludgewiser & am glad to see only Bud Light (sissy beer) got the AX!!

Northwest takes beer battle to new heights
Airline replaces Bud Light, taps Miller Lite for flightsThe Associated Press
Updated: 6:47 p.m. ET May 5, 2005ST. LOUIS - Taking a marketing feud between the nation's two largest brewers to new heights, Northwest Airlines has tapped Miller Lite to replace top-selling Bud Light on all of its flights worldwide.

advertisement

Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest, the fourth-largest airline, said Miller Lite will be phased in aboard Northwest and Northwest Airlink-operated flights over the next several weeks as its inventories of Bud Light are depleted.

Still, Northwest will continue serving Budweiser by Miller rival Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. as its full-calorie beer on all of its flights. Northwest also still will offer up various imported brews.

Milwaukee-based Miller Brewing Co., a unit of London-based SABMiller PLC, cast Northwest's switch to Miller Lite a boon as that brewer duels with Anheuser-Busch _ maker of Bud Light _ for U.S. market share.

Northwest and Northwest Airlink _ offering beverage service on roughly 2,800 of the 3,012 flights they operate worldwide to 247 cities in 23 countries _ expects to buy more than 700,000 cans of Miller Lite a year to be served aboard its 659-aircraft fleet.

Last year, Northwest and its Northwest Airlink partners _ Mesaba Airlines and Pinnacle Airlines _ carried more than 67 million passengers.

Northwest had served Miller Lite on its flights until roughly five years ago, when the airline switched to Bud Light, airline spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch said Thursday.

Among other things, Northwest made the switch because of passenger demand for "increasingly popular" Miller Lite in Milwaukee and Minneapolis, two of Northwest's biggest markets, Ebenhoch said.

With Miller's presence in Milwaukee, "Northwest also wanted to support one of our largest companies in one of our most-important U.S. markets," he said.

An executive for Miller said the brewery was "very excited" about the changeover as the company celebrates its 150th anniversary this year.

"Now, adult passengers on Northwest can join us in toasting this historic milestone," said Joe Jones, Miller general manager of sales for Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Gary Goldstein, Anheuser-Busch's vice president of on-premise sales, said that while that brewer was disappointed with Northwest's decision, "we're glad to still have 50 percent distribution on Northwest and that passengers have an opportunity to drink the world's best-selling premium beer, Budweiser."
Old May 5, 2005, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1+MM / HH Lifetime Diamond
Talking

Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
Still, Northwest will continue serving Budweiser by Miller rival Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. as its full-calorie beer on all of its flights. Northwest also still will offer up various imported brews.

Gary Goldstein, Anheuser-Busch's vice president of on-premise sales, said that while that brewer was disappointed with Northwest's decision, "we're glad to still have 50 percent distribution on Northwest and that passengers have an opportunity to drink the world's best-selling premium beer, Budweiser."
Thank goodness. Someone still has at least 50% of a brain. Full Budweiser is my #4 beer behind Molson (Canadian), Labatt (Blue), and Bud Light. :-)

And no, I'm not an alcoholic. They want help. remember?
Old May 10, 2005, 12:05 am

Nwa stew here. I found Miller Lite on a flight today and did not know why. The employees have not been notified of this change. We did know about the discontinuation of James Page. We were told they could not keep up with the demand. We will still have Ausberger as far as I know. Keep in mind the airplane is not a Cirlce K. We can't have every brand. I can only assume the change in beer is being influenced with the major increase of flying out MKE. It is all about money. Miller is probably offering more business as does Pepsi (versus serving Coke products).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.