Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW doesn't charge the HKG departure tax on WP awards until you reach the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW doesn't charge the HKG departure tax on WP awards until you reach the airport?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.

I redeemed a WBC award on NW to HKG. The return from HKG was on KE (to ICN to NRT with a fun stopover in Tokyo before returning to SFO).

It was a great trip. The new WBC on the A330 was great. It was also fun to sit in the front of a 744, even though it was Business Class.

When I checked in at HKG at the KE counter, the friendly agent said I hadn't paid my $120 HKD (about $15 USD) departure tax yet. We both examined my paper ticket from NW WorldPerks and couldn't find any mention of it. So I paid and then she op-upped me to First Class because the flight had such high loads and I was the last pax to check in (I was on time, though).

Not much of a difference between KE J and F, but the seat seemed about an inch wider and maybe 2-3 more inches of pitch, with electric leg rests.

So I'm not complaining - just aksing: Shouldn't NW WorldPerks Reservations have charged me the HKG departure tax at the time of ticketing? United routinely does this and NW did this 3 years ago when I redeemed a similar award to HKG (albeit all on NW metal).

Where can you see it on the paper ticket receipt if it's been paid? If so, I would like to call KE and ask them for a refund or a voucher. Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2005, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by John26
Where can you see it on the paper ticket receipt if it's been paid?
The HKG departure tax has the tax code 'HK'. If you see it on your paper ticket (generally followed by a number indicating the value of the tax), then it's been paid.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
That's odd, I booked tickets on NW last year SFO-HKG and back via NRT and was charged about $60 total for all taxes and stuff. We weren't charged anything at checkin at HKG, and we were in WBC too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.