Wiki Posts
Search

Comping from dirt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2005, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Comping from dirt

A favorite topic on these boards is status comping. I got plat on US a couple years ago via a (pretty lame) challenge, and Marriott comped me plat based on my future plans. Made HH Diamond the hard way.

I fell to dirt with the airlines when my job grounded me. However, I've just started a new one and I'll be commuting MSP-BUF weekly for the forseeable future.

What do you think of my chances of getting comped at least a Silver from NW, based on flights I've already booked (4 r/ts so far) and my assumed future business? As I said, I'm currently dirt with every airline.

Of course, since I'm going in/out of MSP, they may feel I'm locked in anyhow and they don't have to give me anything --- I've got nowhere to go. But then, SW flies to MSP, and they're starting service to BUF (via MDW) in July, so ....

Any encouraging words?
Old Apr 5, 2005, 6:59 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
I'm afraid no encouraging words from this poster. I think the best you can hope for is a challenge offer if anything. That said, I will be happy to eat my hat or something to that effect if proven wrong.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Post the worst you can do...

I'll add my $0.02. You have a 100% chance of getting nothing if you don't ask.

Ask for the comp/challenge. The least they can do is tell you no and you've lost nothing.

-= a caffiene-based life-form =-
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No joy. They did offer me a challenge of 2 r/ts in the next 90 days, but they both had to be full-fare Y or F. Oooops.

I guess I'll just have to do it the hard way.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Seems as though getting comps with NW is much more difficul than it has been in the past. After having some e-mail discussions with Beth, it appears as though NWA is paying very close attention to the numbers in its elite programs so it doesn't overload them and most of its elites can get their upgrades. It will comp some status, but manages it pretty closely and seems to help if your company establishes a relationship with NW.

They also monitor the upgrade percentages very closely for each elite level and have a minimum desired threshold for each...based on the 1k giveaway to Plats, I would imagine they are trying to target somewhere above 90-95% success rates (don't quote me on that...just a guess).
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:53 am

I'm sure the fact that the OP is based in MSP doesn't help. They probably figure that the convenience of going nonstop to BUF outweighs the (two) cattle calls on WN to get there.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by divrdrew
It appears as though NWA is paying very close attention to the numbers in its elite programs so it doesn't overload them and most of its elites can get their upgrades.
That is actually excellent news, and not just because when i washed my hands of CO I went out and flew 25k NW coach miles to get my card the straight-ahead way. CO comps a lot of OP elites and look at the boat they're in. Way to go NW for trying to preserve the integrity of the elite program.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by divrdrew
... It will comp some status, but manages it pretty closely and seems to help if your company establishes a relationship with NW.
My company is me. All this is coming out of my pocket.

And, yeah ... my last gig I was based around DTW, where NW is also a major presence and stingy with cheap flights, which is why I drove BUF-DTW on a weekly basis. Can't do that from MSP.

Still, I have been able to find reasonable fares, if I book far enough out. And the direct flights are a major advantage. I guess I just shut up and keep shelling out.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by BigLar
My company is me. All this is coming out of my pocket.
BigLar:

The elite challenge is B class fares or higher. It doesn't start at Y fares and go up. I am taking a trip to get my last B class fare in from ATW-DTW-GRR RT for $310.00 and I will be Silver.

If you need details on the challenge, PM me and I will forward the email to you that I got from them regarding the challenge. I just got my elite challenge letter yesterday confirming my enrollment.

PS: If you are your own business, don't forget to sign up for BizPerks. https://bizperks.nwa.com/servlet/BPBizperks It is a great way to earn WC passes, free upgrades, etc. just for buying tickets as a small business.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE
BigLar:

The elite challenge is B class fares or higher. It doesn't start at Y fares and go up. I am taking a trip to get my last B class fare in from ATW-DTW-GRR RT for $310.00 and I will be Silver.
All I see showing up are K's, L's and some Q's. Not sure I could even book a full Y. Then again, I'm new to NW, so I don't know my way around the website yet.

Where can I find a list of which booking classes qualify for full miles (do they have some cheapos that only get 25% mileage or something?).
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:44 pm

All I see showing up are K's, L's and some Q's. Not sure I could even book a full Y. Then again, I'm new to NW, so I don't know my way around the website yet.
On the Flight Search page, look for
Do you have any preferences?
The default is set for Best Available but you can choose the alphabet fare class you're looking for.

Where can I find a list of which booking classes qualify for full miles (do they have some cheapos that only get 25% mileage or something?).
Here's where NW talks about EQM's. All NW, KL, AS & DL fares accrue 100%, but not all CO fares do.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Super! and also Duper!

I knew it had to be there somewhere. Thanks much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.