Wiki Posts
Search

Best WBC Seat 747-400

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2005, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Delta, Qantas, Hyatt, Hilton
Red face Best WBC Seat 747-400

I am currently booked in 73A on both legs of a NRT-HNL trip on a 744. Is the upper deck the best place to sit? I do not mind climbing stairs as I am in my 20's so this is not an issue. Is it true about it being a quiter cabin along with better service? Any other insights from personal experiences would be appreciated.

Seat Guru Lists these seats as the best in WBC on a 744

Upper Deck
73A,B 77A,B,J,K

Main Cabin
10A,B 9J,K

Kampai,
Klaxon

P.S. Anyone want to be my Worldclub guest at NRT on the 14th of April or
President's Club/Worldclub at HNL on the 21st of April?
Old Mar 28, 2005, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM, Marriott Plat, SPG gold, Hilton Gold,Avis PS
upper deck is nice and quiet. I usually take 77a
Old Mar 28, 2005, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Yes, the upper deck is very quiet. The exit row up there is nice, but the FA might be sitting right in front of you for takeoff and landing. The wierd thing about the upperdeck is that the windows are quite low, or maybe it's the angle of fuselage up there, but it's not the easiest windows to look out of. But you sure are high off the ground. I think 1A is a great seat. You have 3 windows to look out, and becasue it's angled you can sort of see forward. And you can't even see the wings of the plane if you try, because you are so far ahead of them.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
My favorite seats are 73A&B, no question. You have extra leg room, so much so that if you're in 73A, you can get by someone with the seat reclined in 73B. The upstairs is very quiet. I've been in row 77 too, and it is almost as good. Only downside is there isn't much space in the bin between the plane and the window seat, and the windows are funny and there isn't much of a way to see out of it.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Just got back from a trip to MNL and had 77ab over the pond, 73ab and 10ab from NRT-MNL. I would have to say that 77ab were definitely the best. Only disadvantage is that the flight crew takes orders and serves from front and back at the same time, so you are always last to get your meal. Other than that, you have tons of room in front of your seat (around 4 feet or so). On one of the planes, 77jk had a double-crew seat facing it and on a different model, there is a single crew seat on both sides of the aisle (ours didn't have the crew seat in front of it either way between DTW/NRT, but did between NRT/MNL).

The issue of bin space was true..it's a bit akward, but I still think those are the best seats in the plane.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:44 am

Programs: NW - Platinum, JL - Sapphire, SPG - Platinum, UA
I usually take upper deck, if I don't have a big carry-on bag. When I have, I usually get Row 1 to 4 (usually 1A or 1K).

Sure, it's quiet in upper deck. One thing I don't like there is I tend to hit my head when I stand up from the window seat (Though I'm only 5'10").

I like the bin space next to me, when I take window seat in upper deck. I can put my bag-pack there and it fits well.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 5:50 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
The passing of 747's may be a way off, but I have switched from a 2 B guy to a 73 A guy to get the upstairs experience while it lasts. Plus, more of my flights are to Europe on the 330 (less on DC 10), which do not have the upstairs either. Maybe with an A 380 some day, but it definitely will not have the "intimate, club-like" feel of the 747 - esp the 200 series.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:03 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, NWA Gold, UA Prem Exec, Starwood Gold
77a or 73a are both the business. I'm flying NRT-DTW April 1st in 77 A and am looking forward to it, and I'm not a fan of Motor City. The upper deck is definitely the way to go. Downstairs I'd rather pay the chump change for row 35 than sit up front..........if it was my cash of course. Your seats should be good, enjoy.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:59 pm

Programs: NW Gold, United Premier, Hertz 5 Star, Priority Club PLT, Hilton Gold

I flew in 77k and enjoyed being able to get up without disturbing the person next to me due to the emergency exit space ^
Old Mar 29, 2005, 2:01 pm
Suspended

how about economy? with search down, it might be easier to add some thoughts on coach seating here. seatguru is pretty thorough. anything to add?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by nytracon
upper deck is nice and quiet. I usually take 77a
Yes, a great seat...and if you encounter turbulence like NW73/75 into NRT on Mar 18th, there's that convenient grab handle directly above your left hand...but you can't see out of the window very easily.

RTS
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
how about economy? with search down, it might be easier to add some thoughts on coach seating here. seatguru is pretty thorough. anything to add?
bump.

i am deciding between the window in 36 (no seat in front of you but no window) and row 35 "window" (floor storage next to you since there is no seat).

do people hang out in front of row 35 thereby limiting leg room. i picked 36 but wouldn't mind switching to 35 if people aren't milling about in that area.

thanks!!!
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:14 pm

Programs: NW Plat, CO Plat
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
bump.

i am deciding between the window in 36 (no seat in front of you but no window) and row 35 "window" (floor storage next to you since there is no seat).

do people hang out in front of row 35 thereby limiting leg room. i picked 36 but wouldn't mind switching to 35 if people aren't milling about in that area.

thanks!!!
I love row 35 window and would definetely recommend it. PLENTY of leg room, except during landing/ take off when a FA can sit in front of you on the jumpseat. It also gives me the impression of being in a quieter/ more private cabin.

I have never had people hanging out in front of me during the flight (but that's probably because I leave my carry-on bag/ laptop on the floor and stretch my legs during the flight ).

It can get quite cold during the flight due to the exit window.

The only negative thing is that usually the person sitting behind you on row 36 A/ 36K will tend to stetch/rest his/ her legs on the exit window. You end up seeing (and in some cases smelling ) his/her feet next to your armseat which is not very pleasant!

He/ she would also tend to get out of his/her seat by accessing the small space between your seat and the exit window (rather than asking the 2 other passengers on row 36 to stand up).

I never tried 36A/ 36K, but based on the above, I would say you still have at least half of a seat in front of you. Also, since there are only 2 seats in front of you, your "pocket" seat is actually attached to the window wall and you share it with the 2 seats in front of you (so it's quite bulky: 3 sets of NW magazines, emergency instructions etc, leaving almost no room for your own stuff).
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by BBT in NY
I love row 35 window and would definetely recommend it.
I also second the recommendation regarding row 35. Pick B,C,H,J - you can't do wrong! There is plenty of legroom, so much so that you can put down your carryon/laptop bag and use it as a comfortable leg rest for the long flight. This type of positioning allows me to really stretch out, and actually sleep semi-comfortably on the flight (or is it the complimentary vodka-tonic that knock me out? I digress...)
It's true that FAs will sit down in front of you during takeoff/landing, but I actually like that. It allows you to get to know some of the FAs and establish a rapport with them - makes for a more enjoyable flight!

My backup to row #35 is row #51. Same amount of legroom as in row 35. But whatever you do, AVOID 51A/K - the slide takes up most of your legroom!
Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I like row 1 myself. Quiet because no one walks by you unless they are going to the closet which no one does after pushback anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.