Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Free RT in W Class - How limited are seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA Platinum

My wife voluntarily gave up her seat on a Christmas day flight and was given a voucher for "Good for one free RT ticket in W class. Seats are limited."

Does anyone know how limited these seats are? Are they the same class as frequent flyer seats?
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:54 am

I'm pretty sure W is the standard coach worldperks award class, although I'm not sure if it's the super-restricted bucket from which regular members draw rewards, or the partially-restricted bucket from which elites draw rewards.

In general, I usually advise folks to ask for a $-value voucher, rather than a free roundtrip, because they're more flexible and you earn miles on the ticket you buy (the free ticket doesn't earn miles). But the free roundtrips can come in handy for folks who live in expensive markets and/or don't care as much about accruing miles.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Depends where you want to go. We used 6 last year for Thanksgiving (MSP-SAV/CHS). Like any amard ticket you need to plan ahead and be flexible.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
W class = Worldperk seat

As a rule of thumb, I will never give up my seat unless Northwest offers $$$. I have had a number of these TCV's over the past two years, and they are challenging to use.

As my title states above, W class means a frequent flyer seat.

Good luck, and plan WAY ahead.

Originally Posted by dfwdal
My wife voluntarily gave up her seat on a Christmas day flight and was given a voucher for "Good for one free RT ticket in W class. Seats are limited."

Does anyone know how limited these seats are? Are they the same class as frequent flyer seats?
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by fromYXU
Depends where you want to go. We used 6 last year for Thanksgiving (MSP-SAV/CHS). Like any amard ticket you need to plan ahead and be flexible.
I agree. I got one of these in March (didn't know to ask for $$$ instead) and was able to use it for my upcoming holiday trip, MSP - PHL 12/28 - 1/4. I booked about two months in advance.

I got some hints from other threads in the forum and used the website to search for standard awards for my desired dates, then called to reserve and gave the flight numbers I wanted. Worked a treat But, probably beginner's luck!
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by dfwdal
.....Does anyone know how limited these seats are? Are they the same class as frequent flyer seats?
They are the same class (comes out of the fare bucket -W) as a frequent flyer award travel seat, except that these are more flexible and does NOT require a staurday night stay, unlike the simple award travel tickets. So, they are as 'limited' as an award travel reservation; depends on the route, date and time one wants to travel.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 1:53 pm

W seats often open up a few days before departure. There was no DTW to SFO W fares for months for tomorow and then 2 days ago a few opened up.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
W seats often open up a few days before departure. There was no DTW to SFO W fares for months for tomorow and then 2 days ago a few opened up.
Very good for those looking for last minute deals. Awards can open up within one week of departure to all sorts of places. Wish I could do that more often...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.