Wiki Posts
Search

A330 "C" Observations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down A330 "C" Observations

I took my first A330 flights over the past week, DTW-AMS-DTW, and was somewhat disappointed. Although the AVOD was nice (and working), the seats were less comfortable than the WBC seats on the good ol' DC-10. I thought the seats were too narrow and the "flat" sleeping angle forced me to keep my feet pressed against the footrest so I did not slide off. I was also unimpressed with the food quality and selection. The appetizers were a joke, main courses were small and the dessert selections were skimpy. On the good side, the cabin service was great and there were refills on the appetizer nuts. Overall I had better flights on my last DTW-FRA-DTW flights on the DC-10 and much better flights in BusinessFirst on CO.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:29 am
mdb

Yup - I agree -- CO BF is far superior!! I think NW needs to do something about the angle of the seats....

..... and the quality of the food and it presentation....
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by mdb
Yup - I agree -- CO BF is far superior!! I think NW needs to do something about the angle of the seats....

..... and the quality of the food and it presentation....
I'm in C next week DTW-AMS (outbound is AMS-EWR on a KL 767 ), so this doesn't give me much to look forward to... still excited to try the A330.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
I'm in C next week DTW-AMS (outbound is AMS-EWR on a KL 767 ), so this doesn't give me much to look forward to... still excited to try the A330.
Ignore them until you try for yourself. I'm a big fan of the 330 seat. I think it's really a matter of individual preference.

I find the 330 seat roughly equivalent to the CO 777 seat. Food slightly better on CO, AVOD better on NW....
Old Oct 28, 2004, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Seth
I thought the seats were too narrow and the "flat" sleeping angle forced me to keep my feet pressed against the footrest so I did not slide off.
That was my only issue with the seat too!
Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond
Looking forward to finding out how the seats are in Feb. on a standard WBC award to CDG. The seats in the -10 were great - flying la-z-boys!

Tubeman
Old Oct 29, 2004, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Agree with others who've found the new C seats uncomfort. Because they're computer controlled, it's not possible to fine tune adjustments. If you're a back sleeper, then the "lie-flat" is prob OK. But if you want to sleep on the side, then it's not possible to get into a good Z shape. Have flown nearly all of the C products over the past year, and NW new C is in the lower 1/2 of quality. IMO, CX has the best, with UA a close second.

KE 747-combis have the NW DC-10s seats ... very comfy. Bring back the DC-10 Lazy Boys!!

Also, does anyone else find the video selections way too limited? What about adding some actual short features?
Old Oct 29, 2004, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Also, does anyone else find the video selections way too limited? What about adding some actual short features?
Absolutely! While spending a fortune on these seats, they opted for a cheap AVOD system with only about 10 channels. SQ has about 60 AVOD movies, TWO comedy channels with US and British sitcoms, and more than a hundred CDs as well.
I'd say the current NW IFE is only marginally better than the old one, though the AVOD is great, as well as the options to make your own music playlist.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 6:59 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by Seth
I thought the seats were too narrow and the "flat" sleeping angle forced me to keep my feet pressed against the footrest so I did not slide off.
Exactly.

I have the same problem ... feeling like I'm sleeping on a slip-and-slide. CO 777 BF seats are not much better in this regard.

Just remember .... "flat" does not equal horizontal! Next thing we'll know, the next generation seats will recline to full vertical!
Old Oct 30, 2004, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
I just got off flying KL's 777 up front AMS-SFO, and I have to say, out of the three airlines, I liked KL's new seat far and away better -- I was able to get the most comfortable (although, as others have said, that's a person thing), and KL's new AVOD (with a large library of movies and TV to watch) stomps all over NW's (not to mention it's not laggy as all heck).

Steve
Old Oct 30, 2004, 1:01 pm

I just flew a retrofitted 744 from BKK in C with the new WBC. Overall, I found it quite comfortable and was able to sleep most of the legs without much problem. One of the FA's, however, mentioned that some pax didn't like the seats. They complained about them being too firm, narrow and the degree of the full recline a little too steep. I would have to assume your physical size plays an important role in how comfortable a position you can muster. I also like the original WBC seats. If they were to have a perfectly horizontal full recline, they'd be my preference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.