Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Are you happy with NW award/upgrade availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2004, 2:17 pm
mdb
Original Poster

I will bring this up as a new thread....

Who is happy with NWA with regard to thier award/upgrade availability? Why? Why not?
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
I think NW's award availability is absolutely fantastic...

...if you have a few month's leeway on your dates. Or if you want to leave in 3 days.

Otherwise it is pretty pathetic. Far and away the biggest drawback to a programme that it otherwise one of the best if not the best IMHO.

However, this drawback is made up for by some of the best CSRs in the business who will actually help you to find dates and city pairs that will work. And an elite programme that allows 25k mile flyers to upgrade 50-95% of the time (depending on your travel patterns).
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Award Redeption for Elites is Excellent -- Better is you have flexibility

I have redeemed 3,500,000 Worldperk miles and have never been unable to get where I intended to go.

If you are a frequent flyer (Worldperks Elite) you have improved award availability. I think NW looks at the pax that fly all the time as better customers than the occasional traveler that is looking for an award ticket.

RC
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Smile Stepfordposter / duplicate screen name

TRVLRZ has posted as Stepfordposter.

Duplicate screen names on Ft are not permitted on FT.

Stepfordposter has been permanently banned as a FT screen name.

And TRVLRZ has been timed out for 7 days.

Radiocycle
Northwest Moderator

Last edited by Radiocycle; Aug 4, 2004 at 3:46 pm Reason: FT TOS violation
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:23 pm

Programs: WP Silver
I wanted to upgrade with miles on a flight next fall from IAH-ATH and just from reading these boards, I feel like my chances are slim and none. If I can't get the upgrades at the 330-340 day window, I'll probably forget NW/KLM altogether and just try to buy a decently priced business class from another carrier (since NW/KLM seem a little too $$$proud$$$ of their product). I'm not the type to wait until 3 or 4 days before I'm ready to leave "to see if something opens up."

The other impression I've gotten from reading these boards over the last year or so is that it would be easier for me to spend no money and get a rulebuster award than it would for me to spend a decent chunk of change and use miles to upgrade. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Frankly, if one of the majors started a frequent flyer program and their "gimmick" was that they didn't have a million silly rules and hidden buckets that nobody can see, etc., etc., etc., they would have to start beating the passengers away. But then, what would we have to talk about here then?
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:26 pm

Programs: WP Silver
Originally Posted by Radiocycle

If you are a frequent flyer (Worldperks Elite) you have improved award availability. I think NW looks at the pax that fly all the time as better customers than the occasional traveler that is looking for an award ticket.

RC
RC, is this true for us lowly silvers? Because I get the impression from some of the other posters that you have to be at least gold to really get any help on this.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Arrow

I have redeemed 3,500,000 Worldperk miles and have never been unable to get where I intended to go.

RC
Please close this post, the above is obviously a blatant defamation against North west. Defamation of character, defamation of character, defamation of character!

Why would any reasonable sane person fly THREE MILLION, FIVE HUNDERD THOUSAND MILES and not get where they want to go.

You are not a nice North wester!

Please reread what I said above.

There is a difference from "Redeeming" and "Flying" the 3,500,000 worldperk miles. I usually use the miles for my family to fly with me and I use rulebuster awards from time to time.

RC

Last edited by Radiocycle; Aug 4, 2004 at 3:33 pm
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:30 pm

Here is a tool to find Worldperk award tickets

This tool has been around for several years and really helps to locate the award space (for base members) for all NWA flights

http://usr.v7.com/wpaa/

RC
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by StepfordPoster
Please close this post, the above is obviously a blatant defamation against North west.
Kid,

Are you back???

Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
From a domestic standpoint NW WP is very good, ok, great both in terms of miles given, upgrades, and ability to redeem miles (well, most if not some of the time). While not as high as RC, I have been over the years been able to redeem around 1.6M WP miles with the balance split domestic and INTL (Mrs. Hoover prefers WBC or 1st domestic ).

Now, on an international perspective, NW WP leaves a bit to be desired. While I have been able to redeem some INTL WBC WP awards over the years for Mrs. Hoover, some of those have had to be rulebuster . Regarding using miles to upgrade on INTL fares, I have had good luck when buying full Y, or, spending lots of time on the phone domesticly and from Europe to secure upgrades with miles. The NW INTL upgrade program needs some enhancements if not an overhaul as has been consistently been brought up. While NW needs to protect what product they have with WBC, they also should provide a means for customers to use their miles to upgrade, or, at least get on a waiting list for an automated upgrade using miles when the seats are released.

Plat points in theory is a nice idea, however personally I would have preffered to have seen what NW has done in the past for high milage WP members to select a perk. At least that way this year I would have seen a thankyou for last years business, or incentive for this years.

So, viva la domestic WP program ^ , time for enhancements to the INTL program .

-H
Old Aug 4, 2004, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
International redemption is poor. You can play a lot of games and be very flexible, and get what you want, but otherwise, forget about it.

Completely different from AA, where a typical redemption (and I am low-tier elite there now, no special treatment) is:

"I'd like to go from A to B in Business Class."

<tap tap tap>

"We've got the following options..." (some good, some not so good)

"What about checking a couple of days before and after?"

<tap tap tap>

"Sure, if you change your departure by a day, we have got what you want."

Steve
Old Aug 4, 2004, 6:20 pm

This tool has been around for several years and really helps to locate the award space (for base members) for all NWA flights

http://usr.v7.com/wpaa/

RC
I tried this tool. And it told me what we all know. NW free tickets are just not available like the other airlines. 1 NW mile is not equal to 1 Delta or 1 AA (or heaven forbid) 01 CO mile

From tpa to dtw, 12/23/04 + 5days
Availability as of 08/05/04 00:11 (GMT)
Standard awards for Northwest (direct flights only)

Date Departure Arrival Seats Flight

12/23/04 No award seat is available for the date you selected

12/24/04 No award seat is available for the date you selected

12/25/04 No award seat is available for the date you selected

12/26/04 No award seat is available for the date you selected

12/27/04 No award seat is available for the date you selected

12/28/04 No award seat is available for the date you selected

F: First Class C: Business Class Y: Economy Class

The std reply will be - oh its christmas - but even the NW website has flights listed every day on Delta.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 6:28 pm

Try calling the Plat Elite line for increased availability

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
I tried this tool. And it told me what we all know. NW free tickets are just not available like the other airlines. 1 NW mile is not equal to 1 Delta or 1 AA (or heaven forbid) 01 CO mile

From tpa to dtw, 12/23/04 + 5days
Availability as of 08/05/04 00:11 (GMT)
Standard awards for Northwest (direct flights only)

Date Departure Arrival Seats Flight

12/23/04 No award seat is available for the date you selected

12/24/04 No award seat is available for the date you selected

12/25/04 No award seat is available for the date you selected

12/26/04 No award seat is available for the date you selected

12/27/04 No award seat is available for the date you selected

12/28/04 No award seat is available for the date you selected

F: First Class C: Business Class Y: Economy Class

The std reply will be - oh its christmas - but even the NW website has flights listed every day on Delta.
The Worldperks lister doesn't give increased availability because you are an elite member.

If you call into the elite line, you will get an agent that has the access to increased (more seats) award availability.

Try it and let us know if you find anything.

Good Luck!

RC
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:11 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, I personally have far too many unused NWA miles to redeem.

Yet it apparently could be worse!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...3&page=1&pp=15

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=326497&page=2

I should be trying harder I suppose!

-Mark
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, National Emerald Club, Hilton Gold
Granted I haven't had as many opportunities to redeem miles as I have had to earn them, but the couple of times I need domestic tickets, NW has always come through for me. I will, however, say that both times they were relatively last minute bookings but hey a standard seat was available! As much as I would like to find things to complain about with NW, I just can't!! Call me Red Tail Blooded I guess.

Jer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.