Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

UPDATED 747-400 & 747-200 Seating Advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2004, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold, CO silver, CX Asia Miles Silver/Oneworld, UA, US Airways,

After searching extensively on this topic, I only found a bunch of old threads with bits of info here and there. Hopefully someone can aptly address these issues:
Am flying on a 747-400 economy from DTW-NRT and then a 747-200 economy from NRT-HKG (am a silver elite)
Im interested in (order of pref)
- Window seat (with a window)
- T.V. screen
- Legroom
Now I usually take seat 51A/K on both flights but I wanted to try something different. SO I am currently seated on 21K for BOTH segments. Now from previous threads, I believe there is a tv screen on the wall in front of row 21 in the 747-200 BUT NO VIEWABLE TV SCREEN (at least from seats 21A/K) in the 747-400. Seeing that this is the longer flight, Im thinking of switching to another seat for the first segment on the 747-400.
Any suggestions/advice/experiences to share???
Old Jun 4, 2004, 7:53 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Thumbs up Keep 21K!

I just came back from a trip to BKK, and had 21K on one 742 and three 744s. The 744 has a small LCD screen in front of the seats 21A-B-C and H-J-K. Only thing I don't like about this screen is that if watching a movie with darker scenes, the image starts to "blotch out" in dark areas and lose detail, or actually start projecting a negative image. This seems especially so if viewing from an angle such as in the A or K window seats. A problem that would be easily corrected with a brightness and contrast adjusment as on a laptop, but there is none on this screen!

The benefit of row 21 is that the seats are in a quieter section of the aircraft compared to row 51, which is aft of the engines. Also, on the 744 the window seats on row 51 are spaced such that the window divider is just forward of the seat back, at the precise location where you want to put your arm. Thus, you are cramped compared to getting a few extra inches for your arm if the divider were slightly more forward or aft. This is not a problem for 51K on the 742, as there are only two seats there, and the window seat is not butted up against the window, but actually is a few inches away from it. Stay with what you have!
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I agree somewhat with the previous poster. I'd stick with 21K on the 742, especially with the extra little legroom cut into the bulkhead. But the 744 doesn't have it, so I find it actually quite confining. I highly recommend 36A/K, which is an exit seat but actually is behind a row of 2 seats in 35. If you're not very overweight, you should be able to squeeze in and out in front of you, past the person in 35A/K, and still be able to have an exit window, while miraculously being able to avoid the dreaded NWA exit window door jutting out into your seat! I'm sorry I can't remember the video monitor situation in either seat, since I usually sleep or read inflight. Enjoy!
Old Jun 5, 2004, 5:24 am

don't forget to try www.seatguru.com

that site is good start.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold, CO silver, CX Asia Miles Silver/Oneworld, UA, US Airways,
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
don't forget to try www.seatguru.com

that site is good start.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I think Ill stick with 21K for the second segment on the 747-200 but am still undecided on keeping the 21K for the LONGER 747-400 segment. The problem with seat 36A/K that seatguru does not show but nwa.com shows is that these windos seats apparently have no windows, which is something I genreally prefer when flying. Additionally, any info on the location of a tv monitor would be helpful.
But thanks regardless!
Old Jun 5, 2004, 1:23 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Good point about whether windows are really present-

I find it quite annoying to assume I have a "window" seat, only to find that there is no window in that row. I think you're right about row 36 not having one. Also, several rows ahead of 36 are missing windows. The 747 must have some wiring or duct work in these locations that prevents placing windows there.

Someone else correctly noted that the 742 has a "cutout" in the bulkhead on row 21, so you can store small items in front of you similar storing under a seat ahead of you. The 744 does not have this.

Still, I find row 21 desirable on 742 and 744 alike, and no problem with legroom there. In fact, I can usually get up from the window seat and get out without disturbing the other passengers in the center and aisle seats. The one thing that would be great in row 21 however, would be a little grab handle on the bulkhead, near the aisle, so that when the window passenger gets up, he can grab hold as he is stepping over the other passengers' feet on his way to the aisle.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
I just came back from a trip to BKK, and had 21K on one 742 and three 744s. The 744 has a small LCD screen in front of the seats 21A-B-C and H-J-K. Only thing I don't like about this screen is that if watching a movie with darker scenes, the image starts to "blotch out" in dark areas and lose detail, or actually start projecting a negative image. This seems especially so if viewing from an angle such as in the A or K window seats. A problem that would be easily corrected with a brightness and contrast adjusment as on a laptop, but there is none on this screen!

The benefit of row 21 is that the seats are in a quieter section of the aircraft compared to row 51, which is aft of the engines.
Does row 21 on the 744 have AMPLE legroom, or just typical bulkhead legroom? The reason I ask, I usually like to use my carryon rollerboard as a foot rest during long flights. Will I be able to fit my carryon and stretch my legs fully in row 21? (don't worry, the other person in the row is travelling with me, so it won't be a stranger who will get offended that I'm taking up some of his space)
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:50 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Does row 21 on the 744 have AMPLE legroom, or just typical bulkhead legroom? Will I be able to fit my carryon and stretch my legs fully in row 21? (don't worry, the other person in the row is travelling with me, so it won't be a stranger who will get offended that I'm taking up some of his space)
No - it doesn't have enough room to do this; it's basic bulkhead legroom. If you're in an aisle seat (i'm assuming you were talking about a window seat) in row 21, you will have unlimited leg room but you couldn't place your carryon in front of you since it would be in the aisle/next to restroom basically.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:30 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by UMprof
No - it doesn't have enough room to do this; it's basic bulkhead legroom. If you're in an aisle seat (i'm assuming you were talking about a window seat) in row 21, you will have unlimited leg room but you couldn't place your carryon in front of you since it would be in the aisle/next to restroom basically.

Thanks - that's all I needed, I'm now in 35. Sounds like this seat will make our ride much more comfortable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.