Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

LAX-DEN Turnaround Mileage Run - Can I do this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2004, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys

Not sure where best to post this... I think it belongs on NWA because it's not a true multi-segment mileage run, I'm getting the miles by taking advantage of an NWA triple EQM offer that's on right now.

I've got a few days to burn in LA, so I've bought the following itin for $178:

NW0960 LAX-DEN WED 1145-1451
NW0961 DEN-LAX FRI 1600-1719

That's about 5100 EQMs at 3.5 c/EQM, not great by the "professional" mileage runner's standards but pretty good for me.

Now I've just found out for $158 I can add ANOTHER roundtrip starting in DEN on the Wednesday after I get there, so my itinerary would be:

NW0960 LAX-DEN WED 1145-1451 TICKET 1 (already purchased)
NW0961 DEN-LAX WED 1600-1719 TICKET 2 (proposed)
NW0962 LAX-DEN WED 1800-2106 TICKET 2 (proposed)
NW0961 DEN-LAX FRI 1600-1719 TICKET 1 (already purchased)

This would bring me within easy reach of gold for the year, which is my goal, and would be 3.3c/EQM. Best of all, the flights seem to have good SE upgrade possibilities.

I could also do TICKET 2 on the Thursday, but I really want a mini-getaway in Denver and environs, so that's out. Plus, there would be a spousal veto issue.

Questions:
(1) Can I do this? Is this violating any nested ticketing rules, etc?
(2) There is a 41-minute turnaround in LAX. How would this work? I would have time to re-check in in DEN, could I get both boarding passes there?
(3) Can I get in trouble for this? Or stuck back in LAX?

Without giving too much away, let's just say I need to know ASAP because my trip is coming up sooooon...
Old May 4, 2004, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Nothing Wrong

Nothing wrong with this and Kudos!

In MOST cases, nesting is perfectly legal. In this case, during your stay in DEN "plans" arose and you were required to return to LAX?!? It is hidden city ticketing that most folks refer to which would be LAX-DEN-MSP (ex.) and jumping off in DEN.

I am contemplating a similar "run" in the next few weeks, were I just go back and forth for a few days (family in both cities) and get that pesky requalification over with With the promo and Plat bonus, it is pretty nice not having to go coast to coast.
Old May 4, 2004, 6:18 pm

Programs: NW Plat Elite, SPG Gold, National Emerald Club
Are you sure??

I was under the impression that back-to-back ticketing (as opposed to end-to-end) wasn't allowed...
Old May 4, 2004, 6:19 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
This would appear to be back-to-back tktg and is frowned upon by the airlines. Would segments 1 and 2 price the same, less, or more than 1 and 4? If more than 1 and 4, you would be attempting to circumvent NW pricing structure and NW would likely not be pleased.

You could slightly modify your segment 2 and 3, however, and do DEN-LAX-XXX and return and the trip would be perfectly fine - as long as XXX is not a LAX co-terminal. But then, I think that you wouldn't get the miles that you are looking for, as I think that under that promo, you had to book LAX-DEN RT only....???
Old May 4, 2004, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Not Back to Back

It is not "back to back" ticketing

A back to back routing would be (ex.) LAX - DEN (DEN - MSP - DEN) DEN - LAX where you are "actually" flying LAX - MSP; but, ticketing as such would offer a price benefit. Or, an extension to the tail of a reservation which would offer a price benefit.

I can imagine the argument, sir this is a back to back routing because you are going from LAX to LAX?!?!?

Next time just go to nwa.com and use the multi segment tool to purchase a LAX - DEN - LAX - DEN - LAX
Old May 4, 2004, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I would say this is NOT back-to-back ticketing and is ok, since Ticket 2 has no minimum stay.

Probably Ticket 1 also has no minimum stay.

It's only back to back ticketing if you violate the minimum stay requirements.
Old May 4, 2004, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
LAX-DEN or DEN-LAX only

Originally Posted by tvl4free
You could slightly modify your segment 2 and 3, however, and do DEN-LAX-XXX and return and the trip would be perfectly fine - as long as XXX is not a LAX co-terminal. But then, I think that you wouldn't get the miles that you are looking for, as I think that under that promo, you had to book LAX-DEN RT only....???
Correct, the promo does not allow for a 3rd city. Must be O/W or R/T DEN-LAX or vice versa.

Last edited by TrayflowInUK; May 4, 2004 at 10:09 pm Reason: Submitted before finished writing...
Old May 4, 2004, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by mjcasta
Nothing wrong with this and Kudos!
Thanks! (I hope)

Originally Posted by mjcasta
In MOST cases, nesting is perfectly legal. In this case, during your stay in DEN "plans" arose and you were required to return to LAX?!? It is hidden city ticketing that most folks refer to which would be LAX-DEN-MSP (ex.) and jumping off in DEN.
I thought about this excuse as well, a typical mileage runner's bailout answer , but remember my itinerary...

NW0960 LAX-DEN WED 1145-1451 TICKET 1 (already purchased)
NW0961 DEN-LAX WED 1600-1719 TICKET 2 (proposed)
...only 41 minutes in LAX
NW0962 LAX-DEN WED 1800-2106 TICKET 2 (proposed)
NW0961 DEN-LAX FRI 1600-1719 TICKET 1 (already purchased)

I can't imagine an excuse good enough to explain why I need to jump back to LAX just in time to board again!

Which in turn leads me to my other question... could I get my BP for LAX-DEN when checking in at DEN after my first leg?

Also, what would happen if Flight 2 was delayed beyond the departure time of flight 3?
Old May 4, 2004, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Cool Maybe I should call NW?

If I called NW and asked them about this, would I get a straight answer? Or would I get a three different ones if I called three times? Is it worth doing?

Both flights 2 and 3 are so empty I think there's tumbleweeds blowing through the coach cabin, so I can't imagine NW losing sleep over $158 extra in their coffers. I seriously doubt I'd be losing them any revenue.
Old May 4, 2004, 10:25 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Chana is right

Originally Posted by channa
I would say this is NOT back-to-back ticketing and is ok, since Ticket 2 has no minimum stay.

Probably Ticket 1 also has no minimum stay.

It's only back to back ticketing if you violate the minimum stay requirements.
There is nothing wrong with flying to the same city and back as long as it does not violate any of the rules of the original booking.

THis would be an example of back to back ticketing and not allowed by the airlines:

A to B on Thursday Ticket one ($100 dollar ticket due to Sat night Stay)
B to A on Friday Ticket two ($100 dollar ticket due to Sat night Stay)

A to B on Monday Ticket Two (flight not used)
B to A on Monday Ticket One (Flight not used)

VERSUS A to B Thursday ($1100 dollar ticket no Minimum Requirement)
B to A Friday Ticket 3
Old May 4, 2004, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
Which in turn leads me to my other question... could I get my BP for LAX-DEN when checking in at DEN after my first leg?
It will probably spit out DEN-LAX-DEN all at once. NWA's system will spit out the next BP if it is within 4 hours, which it is.
Old May 4, 2004, 10:52 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
Thanks! (I hope)

Also, what would happen if Flight 2 was delayed beyond the departure time of flight 3?
You will probably be on the same aircraft, there is a way to check but I am not sure how. Radiocycle or one of the more experienced people could tell you where to look.

If you are not on the same aircraft and you are delayed, than NW will put you on "the next available flight" since I would think it would be considered a Misconnect. If flights are that empty than you should have no trouble getting back.
Old May 4, 2004, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Misconnect would be very bad...

Originally Posted by wldtrvlr
You will probably be on the same aircraft, there is a way to check but I am not sure how. Radiocycle or one of the more experienced people could tell you where to look.

If you are not on the same aircraft and you are delayed, than NW will put you on "the next available flight" since I would think it would be considered a Misconnect. If flights are that empty than you should have no trouble getting back.
Definitely not the same equipment, DEN-LAX is a 319, LAX-DEN is a 320.

Next available flight means redeye through DTW or MSP, so that's not attractive because I'd lose my hotel room in DEN.

But, these are the risks we take! If it was a non-WX-related misconnect I assume I would get accommodation if flight was in morning (or none if red-eye).

The key is whether NW would give me any grief about it...
Old May 4, 2004, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by channa
It will probably spit out DEN-LAX-DEN all at once. NWA's system will spit out the next BP if it is within 4 hours, which it is.
Great bit of info, Thanks Channa! ^
Old May 4, 2004, 11:54 pm

You are correct that if it is the airlines fault they usually do provide accomodations IF YOU ASK FOR THEM.

I don't think they would use the red-eye w/connection unless you requested it. They should book you on the next available direct flight. If you are on the last of the night than you would be booked the first one of the morning or a later one if you ask for it. I had a mechanical in DTW and told them I did not want the first flight out so I got a 10 am one.

I don't think you will have anything to worry about, but it is always best to know your options before setting out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.