Search

Need advice on miles redemption

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2004, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA
Question Need advice on miles redemption

Hello
I'm very new to the miles program. I have only about 55K in my account. Would it make a good investment to redeem them for 2 tikets LGA-MEM? In the beginning I thought so but now I doubt.
Also I have a reservation to Vienna. My other option would be to upgrade for 40K miles. Is this a good deal?
And one more question, when is it better to call to find upgradable seats available? I'm flying intl Sep 2-20 (MEM-AMS-VIE). Should I call closer to the date or asap?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by bublik; May 3, 2004 at 8:50 am
Old May 3, 2004, 7:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by bublik
Hello
I'm very new to the miles program. I have only about 55K in my account. Would it make a good investment to redeem them for 2 tikets LGA-MEM? In the beginning I thought so but now I doubt.
Also I have a reservation to Vienna. My other option would be to upgrade for 40K miles. Is this a good deal? And one more question, when is it better to call to find upgradable seats available?
Thanks a lot.
Ultimately you have to make the decision as to what the best use of the miles are going to be for you. One of the members posted a formula about multiplying the miles earned and adding the price of the ticket against the cost of the miles used to determine whether they would buy the ticket or turn in miles. (Sorry I can not find the thread but maybe someone else wil or I will look later when I have more time.)
If it was me and I was on a qualifying fare I would take the international upgrade without any hesitation.
Old May 3, 2004, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
As said by others, it is up to YOU as to what is a good value. There are some people that would ALWAYS use them for LGA-MEM type flights and others that would NEVER use them.

And to those people that try to put the $.02 per mile value on them, be very careful.

Personally, tickets that I can buy for around $300 or less I buy. Others have a different $$ level. I like to keep some miles handy for last minute flights. I am guessing that flights for LGA-MEM can vary from $250 to $1000 each depending on flight times, advance planning, etc. (just a guess). So, if I had to fly there next week I would much rather use 25,000 miles than shell out big bucks.

As to upgrading INTL, make sure you check what fare classes are eligible. Most on the board would only fly in business and never in coach. But, keep in mind, that 80% plus fly in coach on every plane. Again, personal decisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.