Tickets - Norway Train - Oslo to Bergen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...

So my understanding is that train tickets from Oslo to Bergen go on sale 90 days prior to travel. I am looking at tickets for the end of April (specifically Sunday the 28th) and tickets are on sale Sundays before and after my date of travel (I am seeing them Sunday April 21st and Sunday May 5th) but no trains have tickets for sale on April 28th. There is a message about track work on the day I am traveling both near Oslo and Bergen...

Anyone have any insight on the ticket sales for the train? FYI, I am using vy.no to look for tickets. I don't want to rearrange hotels because they have skyrocketed in price...
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SAS Eurobonus
It appears there are three separate bits of track work on the route. It is likely that the Sandvika-Asker work won’t actually close the line but could cause delays. Arna-Bergen work means in my experience the train will end short and require a bus. There is also a message about work all along the line, which says rail replacement buses but it’s not clear when (this is scheduled to finish at 11:00)

The trains are currently all showing as sold out but my guess is that’s because they haven’t finalised the work schedule. You should keep checking back if you really want to take the train and you may well get a seat but in your position I’d almost certainly choose to fly. That said, I’m Norwegian resident and so this trip is not a once-in-a-lifetime option that it might be for a visitor.

Vy.no is the place to look for both tickets and information.
fwfdan likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by HogwartsExpress
It appears there are three separate bits of track work on the route. It is likely that the Sandvika-Asker work won’t actually close the line but could cause delays. Arna-Bergen work means in my experience the train will end short and require a bus. There is also a message about work all along the line, which says rail replacement buses but it’s not clear when (this is scheduled to finish at 11:00)

The trains are currently all showing as sold out but my guess is that’s because they haven’t finalised the work schedule. You should keep checking back if you really want to take the train and you may well get a seat but in your position I’d almost certainly choose to fly. That said, I’m Norwegian resident and so this trip is not a once-in-a-lifetime option that it might be for a visitor.

Vy.no is the place to look for both tickets and information.
Thanks,

Thanks, That is what I figured... I hope it is not a weekend of no train travel.

Vy.no is where I have been looking... I will keep an eye on it. I guess we can book a refundable air ticket just in case...

Do you know anything about the bus?

We were really looking forward to the train - I hope I can make it work out.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SAS Eurobonus
The trains shouldn’t be off completely.

Going by bus will capture the scenic wonder but the journey will be extremely long and not terribly comfortable (the buses are fine in themselves but there is a limit and 8+ hours is well beyond it in my view).

I don’t book many domestic flights and certainly not for cash but my guess is you don’t have to worry about booking a flight just yet, I think you can wait at least a week or two to see if the train works out without flight fares skyrocketing. There are loads of flights to Bergen.
fwfdan likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:51 am
Original Poster

HogwartsExpress I did a chat with vy.no last night. They pretty much validated what you said and that there will be trains with bus travel where there was track work but that the schedule was not yet firm. They did suggest that I book Oslo to Voss just to make sure that I had seats at least that far on the train I wanted (we want Plus seating) so I booked refundable seating.

Thanks again. Looking forward to visiting Norway (and Sweden and Denmark!) for the first time!

Last edited by fwfdan; Feb 15, 2024 at 3:35 pm
Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HogwartsExpress
The trains shouldn’t be off completely.

Going by bus will capture the scenic wonder but the journey will be extremely long and not terribly comfortable (the buses are fine in themselves but there is a limit and 8+ hours is well beyond it in my view).

I don’t book many domestic flights and certainly not for cash but my guess is you don’t have to worry about booking a flight just yet, I think you can wait at least a week or two to see if the train works out without flight fares skyrocketing. There are loads of flights to Bergen.
Trains showed up for sale today! We got lucky as Saturday 27APR is all busses from Oslo to Bergan. We are traveling Sunday and goes back to trains (with a bus sector on the first train in the morning)

Thanks for your help! Looking forward to visiting Norway (and Sweden and Denmark!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.