Search

Help me plan my short trip to Helsinki

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Help me plan my short trip to Helsinki

So I'll be flying into HEL from LHR at about 11:00 PM. I fly out of HEL and back to LHR the following day at 4:00 PM. I know it's not a lot of time. I've never been to Helsinki before. For something this short, I think I should stay at a hotel near the airport. Any recommendation? With this less time, I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of sleep just to do/see something quick. Is this possible? What's the absolute latest time to start heading towards the airport?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

When are you travelling?

There is a Hilton by the aiport ( covered walkway) and there is a train station at the airport taking around 30mins to the city centre . There is also the Hilton Helsinki Strand hotel closer to the centre

Things to do in the morning ( you will not have time to see eveything)

Senate Square and the Helsinki Cathedral
Uspenskin Cathedral
The Esplanadi park
The ferry from Market Square to Suomenlinna Island ( island fortress)- ferries are quite frequent so you may be able to have an hour on the island
Sibelius park and monument
Olympic Stadium

Leaving Helsinki at 1330 you would be at the airport at 1400

Regards

TBS
lsquare and Venezuela-Miami like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

When are you travelling?

There is a Hilton by the aiport ( covered walkway) and there is a train station at the airport taking around 30mins to the city centre . There is also the Hilton Helsinki Strand hotel closer to the centre

Things to do in the morning ( you will not have time to see eveything)

Senate Square and the Helsinki Cathedral
Uspenskin Cathedral
The Esplanadi park
The ferry from Market Square to Suomenlinna Island ( island fortress)- ferries are quite frequent so you may be able to have an hour on the island
Sibelius park and monument
Olympic Stadium

Leaving Helsinki at 1330 you would be at the airport at 1400

Regards

TBS
How long is the walk from HEL to the Hilton or I'll need to take a shuttle?

​​​​​Have you stayed at that Hilton before? Comments about the hotel?

What time is the last train to the city centre? I wouldn't mind doing that if it makes the morning convenient and when heading back to HEL.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:38 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
The last train to the city is at 1:22 (1:52 on weekend nights) so this shouldn't be a problem.
The _Banking_Scot and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm leaning on staying at the Hilton Helsinki Airport. For my stay, I'm looking at €133/night, which seems reasonable. I think I'll leave my suitcase there and take the train to the city center and take the train back. This way I won't have to carry my suitcase around.

If there is one place to go and stroll around that would define Helsinki (worthy of taking a picture), where should I go?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
The Hilton is right next to the terminal and the best way of reaching it from the terminal is by foot.

If you are going to check in your suitcase, you could do it already in the morning (AY in HEL allows checking in luggage anytime during the day, for morning flights also the previous evening) so that you don’t have to worry about it later. In that case it would be enough to arrive back in the airport 45 minutes before your flight, if you don't want to spend time in the lounge before your flight.

Senate Square is the iconic view of Helsinki. The Market Square and the Esplanade park are really close to it. The Suomenlinna sea fortress is considered the top sight in Helsinki and the ferry there (15 minutes each way) departs from the Market Square.

You could build a half-day itininerary from the following depending on your interests:
- seeing the Senate Square (10 mins walk from the railway station)
- visit the Cathedral at the Senate Square
- visit the Market Square (3 mins walk from the Senate Square)
- walk through Esplanade park (5 mins extra if you walk through it when going from Market Square to the railway station)
- see the Rock Church (15 mins walk from the railway station each way)
- see the library Oodi (modern wooden architecture), almost next to the railway station
- Suomenlinna Sea Fortress (ferry from Market Square every 20 minutes, takes 15 minutes each way). Even the ferry itself is worthwhile, but you can spend as much time as you want on the fortress islands. There are also several museums there. The main museum has a 25-minute film about the history of the fortress

Last edited by r2d2; Apr 13, 2022 at 2:02 pm
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

really depends on when you plan to travel eg Suomenlinna ferry is lovely around summer but it may not be as appealing in near or below freezing windy weather 6 months a year...
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
really depends on when you plan to travel eg Suomenlinna ferry is lovely around summer but it may not be as appealing in near or below freezing windy weather 6 months a year...
It'll be in June.
Old May 1, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Similar question from me. Will be staying in Tampere overnight, want to go to Moomin Musuem and then drive to Helsinki. Leaving Helsinki first thing next day. What to do half a day Sunday afternoon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.