Search

Perplexed about Norway

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Perplexed about Norway

Have a half-baked plan to travel to Norway in August. We're thinking to start and end in Bergen, this may be day trips or a couple or an overnight trip in the middle. Eight days total on the ground. Problem is I'm not big on heights or on scary train rides. Any other suggestions for how we can fill our time in smaller towns? Thanks.
Old May 13, 2018, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by squeakr
Have a half-baked plan to travel to Norway in August. We're thinking to start and end in Bergen, this may be day trips or a couple or an overnight trip in the middle. Eight days total on the ground. Problem is I'm not big on heights or on scary train rides. Any other suggestions for how we can fill our time in smaller towns? Thanks.
I haven’t considered any of my train rides in Norway scary. But if you can give an example of a scary train ride you’ve taken, it may be helpful to figure out what to suggest.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you like train rides, the one between Bergen and Oslo is very nice. Depending on when you go, it can be spring or fall on both ends, but at a few stations in the middle, snowmobiles will meet the train to pick up passengers going to small hotels. I didn't find it scary, but the ride basically consumes a day. I don't know how easy the logistics would be to take it only party of the way for the scenery and then return to Bergen. There's also a scenic train trip that's somewhat oriented toward tourists, but I've never done it. IIRC it mostly follows a river leading into a fjord and there could be places where the tracks hug the side of a steep hill overlooking the river.

To avoid scary trains, don't take the cog railway to the top of the hill in Bergen. However, you can walk or drive (I'm not sure whether there's a public bus) to the top for the impressive view over the old port and all on Bergen. Assuming it's still open, there's a concession at the top consisting of a not very appealing sit down restaurant and more of a fast food place. Hiking trails start here.

Within Bergen, don't miss the historical museum or the unique leprosy museum in an old convent which unfortunately keeps very limited hours. Walk along the old port and check out the fish market. The city has some pleasant parks and pedestrian zones. There are excellent restaurants specializing in new Norwegian cuisine, although unfortunately the wine selection is limited and expensive. Try to go to one of the places in a historic building, for example along the port.

Outside of town (doable by public bus) there's a very old wooden church. Farther outside, you should try to see some fjords. This is easiest by rental car, but pay attention to the ferry schedules to avoid long waits.

Depending on the time you have, you might want to consider doing a cruise along the coast to see the fjords (and go above the Article Circle to Lapland) by postal boat.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I
Depending on the time you have, you might want to consider doing a cruise along the coast to see the fjords (and go above the Article Circle to Lapland) by postal boat.
However, it may be too late to reserve a cabin on the postal boat (Hurtigruten). When I did the trip from Trondheim to Bergen in 2011, I reserved in March and got the last single cabin on the ship. It's a fantastic trip, though. It's hard to believe that one small country could have that much incredible scenery.

I didn't find the funicular to the top of the mountain to be at all scary. You never leave the ground, after all. The view is amazing, and the walk down is pleasant. I'm glad I didn't have to walk UP, though. In fact, I didn't think any of the train rides were scary.

Classical music fans should be aware that the tourist information center sells combined concert +bus tickets to Trollhaugen, Edvard Grieg's home on the outskirts of the city.

Anyway, it sounds as if you need to purchase a guidebook and decide what you really want to see. With eight days, you have plenty of time to travel to Oslo, a lovely city with some fine museums and an all-around pleasant atmosphere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.