Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help from FlyerTalkers in Sweden and Denmark

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Need help from FlyerTalkers in Sweden and Denmark

I have some leftover Swedish Kronor (520 SEK) and Danish Kroner (200 DKK) from a trip in 2009, before both Sweden and Denmark changed their currencies. Because there's new currency, I cannot exchange the old bills at my local bank.

I found information regarding SEK (https://www.thelocal.se/20170531/tim...swedish-kronor) that indicates what I have "expired" last year and becomes worthless on 30 June 2018, but can be deposited until that date at full value. I am looking for someone in Sweden to whom I could send the money, and who could return me current SEK or some other currency.

I haven't found anything definitive regarding DKK, but I believe it's still valid and am looking for someone in Denmark who could do the same.

If you would like to help out a fellow FTer, please PM me.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There is a processing cost (to exchange some old notes for new notes) that is charged by the Swedish banking authority, thus not making it all that worth it for small value amounts.

I've got a few old 500 SEK notes that I plan to get exchanged at some point down the road, but I’m waiting to get a larger proportion of my suspected old SEK notes in hand before I do a submission for exchange of expired tender. But between that and the conversion costs to dollars, not sure what I’ll end up doing.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There is a processing cost (to exchange some old notes for new notes) that is charged by the Swedish banking authority, thus not making it all that worth it for small value amounts.
According to the article I linked, that should only be when dealing directly with the Riksbank (required after the 30 June deadline). I have verified that deadline on the Riksbank website.

I can get some money back using leftovercurrency.com, but I'm hopig to recuperate a bit more this way.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
According to the article I linked, that should only be when dealing directly with the Riksbank (required after the 30 June deadline). I have verified that deadline on the Riksbank website.

I can get some money back using leftovercurrency.com, but I'm hopig to recuperate a bit more this way.
The Riksbank fee applies currently IIRC, unless dealing with a Swedish commercial bank accepting cash deposits without a fee. It seems you want someone with a Swedish current account where the utilized bank/branch doesn’t charge a cash handling fee or isn’t otherwise “cash-free” for deposits. [Some Swedish bank branches are staffed only to be cash-free and/or charge even their own current account holders a fee to deal in cash.]
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

It seems you want someone with a Swedish current account where the utilized bank/branch doesn’t charge a cash handling fee or isn’t otherwise “cash-free” for deposits.
Correct.

For the Danish notes, any Danish bank will do it according to http://www.nationalbanken.dk/en/bank...s/Default.aspx.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:48 pm
Suspended

I have to do this in April and May for my “old” notes from Denmark, Norway and Sweden, so thanks for reminding me about needing to do this very soon in more than just Sweden.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:00 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Old DKK including coins and Faroese notes since 1949 doesn't lapse, and can be changed at any commercial bank, including Danske Bank at CPH airport, or the central bank (which has limited opening hours) if the Danske Bank staff are not confident about authenticity. Furthermore, the train ticket machines at CPH accept DKK notes from the 1997 series for ticket purchases (at least the ones which take cash). So these can just wait until your next trip to Denmark or if you happen across someone who is going.

If you have 520 old SEK, this means you have at least one old 20 note. This cannot be deposited into a bank account - only the 100kr and 500kr from the previous series can be. Old 20, 50, 1000kr and the 100/500 with a similar design to the previous series, but without a foil strip, can only be redeemed by posting them to the central bank, which charges a 100kr fee for this. Furthermore, this redemption is at the central bank's discretion, and for the past 2 years it has refused to redeem notes if the person sending them has ever sent old notes of the same series previously, or if there are large amounts.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
Old 20, 50, 1000kr and the 100/500 with a similar design to the previous series, but without a foil strip, can only be redeemed by posting them to the central bank
Thanks for the details. I actually have 2x100, 4x50, and 6x20, so it looks like my best bet is just to send it all to the Riksbank. I just need to get the deposit information for one of my bank accounts so I can fill out the form. At least I'll get the equivalent of 420kr out of it (after the 100kr fee).
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Thanks for the details. I actually have 2x100, 4x50, and 6x20, so it looks like my best bet is just to send it all to the Riksbank. I just need to get the deposit information for one of my bank accounts so I can fill out the form. At least I'll get the equivalent of 420kr out of it (after the 100kr fee).
Will your bank charge fees for dealing with incoming transfer and currency exchange? That could hit the c. $50 expected.

I still think it contemptible what the Swedish Government has done with regard to old notes and coins. The number of little kids robbed by government action on this front is ridiculously high; and claims that this kind of demonetization would deliver a major blow to criminals of various sorts is just a sham claim — as most tax evaders and serious criminal organizations could easily manage to launder their SEK cash into alternative assets before demonetization.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Will your bank charge fees for dealing with incoming transfer and currency exchange? That could hit the c. $50 expected.
No fees for incoming wires under $500. (It's also around $65. Note my location.)

I still think it contemptible what the Swedish Government has done with regard to old notes and coins.
As do I, but it is what it is. Unfortunately, other countries have done the same.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:09 am

You may want to check out leftovercurrency.com, although they have horrible exchange rates for withdrawn banknotes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.