Questions re in-city travel logistics, in Oslo and Copenhagen:

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Questions re in-city travel logistics, in Oslo and Copenhagen:

Per a thread that I started as background, please see here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...utshell-2.html

I have decided to take the overnight cruise from Oslo to Copenhagen. Assume that my hotel in Oslo is the Radisson Blu Plaza and in Malmo the Renaissance. Neither hotel has been booked yet, subject to ground logistics. Hence these question below:

1. In Oslo, what is the best way to go from Radisson Blu Plaza to the DFDS Terminal? Walkable? Or taxi?

2. In Copenhagen, how do I get from DFDS Terminal to the Renaissance Hotel in Malmo? I try not to hire a taxi, given it is quite expensive. It appears that DFDS offers a shuttle to Norreport Station (is this a subway or train station? or both?). From Norreport, take M2 to CPH airport, and M2 to Malmo Central Station? Walk to Renaissance.

Appreciate your suggestions!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:21 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The ferry terminal's about a 15 minute walk from the station in Oslo. Not sure I'd do it with luggage. There's also the number 60 bus, but a taxi is undoubtedly easiest.

Norreport station is a metro/rail interchange. The metro is fastest. It's a slightly confusing station (you've got two rail lines on one level, and the metro underneath). The easiest way down to the metro is to head towards the market hall (Torvehallerne) and take the elevator directly down - this avoids the steps and escalators via the railway stations. Assuming the bus drops you at the bus station, you cross the main road from the bus/pedestrian area, next to a Fona shop. You'll see a glass structure with a red M on it - this takes you straight down. If you have time, pop into the market hall for a coffee and a pastry, there's some great ones on offer...

Although the signs for the railway station may include Malmo as a destination, this is no longer direct due to the immigration switch at Copenhagen Airport. You can take an airport train (as opposed to metro) if it's easier for you - it will take slightly longer, particularly if there's a scheduled break at Copenhagen H).

Then you change at Copenhagen Airport. You come out the metro, head towards the terminal, and the station is beneath where the escalators take you down to. You'll go through an immigration pre-check as you reach the platform. Enjoy the ride over the bridge!

The Renaissance is an easy walk from Malmo C. You'll emerge from the underground tracks up a long escalator or elevator. Go out through the main station (again, some decent places to pause for a bite to drink or eat if you're in need, plus a little supermarket). Follow the crowds to the Stortorget, then take the passage on the right just before the Scandic Stortorget (not the Scandic Kramer - yes, there's two Scandics on the same square).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Stut,

I am blown away by your local knowledge of ground logistics, and the willingness to share! The Europe Forum (and UK + Ireland) is blessed to have you as Moderator. Thank you so much. I shamelessly copied/pasted your post onto my travel notes.

How about getting metro/train tickets? I assume there will be ticket office, or kiosks that accept credit card and with instructions in English.

Is the Oslo Pass ticket available at the Norreport Metro Station? (I incline to refrain from using the Oslo Pass App on my mobile for various reasons). Did scanned their web site briefly.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Stut,

I am blown away by your local knowledge of ground logistics, and the willingness to share! The Europe Forum (and UK + Ireland) is blessed to have you as Moderator. Thank you so much. I shamelessly copied/pasted your post onto my travel notes.

How about getting metro/train tickets? I assume there will be ticket office, or kiosks that accept credit card and with instructions in English.

Is the Oslo Pass ticket available at the Norreport Metro Station? (I incline to refrain from using the Oslo Pass App on my mobile for various reasons). Did scanned their web site briefly.
Edit: Change Oslo to Copenhagen. I want to know if Copenhagen Pass ticket is available at Norreport Station? Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:10 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You're too kind I did work for a Danish company for 4 years!

The Copenhagen Card? Yeah, you can buy it in the 7-11 at Nørreport station (the one in the middle of the square amid the bike racks, not the one on the opposite corner). IIRC they'll also sell you tickets to Malmö if you just want that. There are machines around that do too, although i can't remember if the ones in the metro station do as well, or just the railway ones in the station square.

You can also download and register the Skånetrafiken app (use +1 for a US number) which will let you buy mobile tickets (all Copenhagen-Malmö tickets include metro). You can buy when you have WiFi and activate offline. It's handy around Malmö too, although if you're travelling a lot, you might invest in a Jojo card.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Very helpful. ^

Thanks again stut
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:38 am

For general travel in Copenhagen--- We used Uber several times with excellent results. Fast and relatively inexpensive.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pqflyer
For general travel in Copenhagen--- We used Uber several times with excellent results. Fast and relatively inexpensive.
Thanks for the heads-up about Uber. I do like to use where it is available, and public transport deems impractical.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:11 pm

There have been some news about Uber in Denmark today:

https://www.thelocal.dk/20170328/ube...r-new-taxi-law
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Arctifox
There have been some news about Uber in Denmark today:

https://www.thelocal.dk/20170328/ube...r-new-taxi-law
Thanks for the link re new laws that affect Uber ops in Denmark.
Too bad, I like open markets with lots of choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.