Short trip to Iceland...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short trip to Iceland...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Lightbulb Short trip to Iceland...

Hi - my fiancee and I will be visiting Iceland in early June for a short two day trip (arriving Friday 4am and departing Sunday at 3pm). We are planning to rent a car at KEF and potentially grab a relatively inexpensive hotel room in Reykjavik upon arrival early Friday morning so we can shower and freshen up from a red eye flight. We are planning to stay at Hotel Silica on Friday and Saturday nights and spend the morning/mid day on Saturday at the Blue Lagoon.

We have some free space to fill into our itinerary, notably on Friday 10am-3pm until we will want to head to Hotel Silica to check in, then from 6pm-midnight we can go exploring and grab dinner. We will also have Saturday afternoon/evening after spending the morning/midday at the Blue Lagoon, and also potentially a few hours on Sunday morning before heading back to KEF and departing on a 3pm flight.

Any recommendations you can make regarding drives, sites and restaurants would be great given the short amount of time we will have in Iceland! Thanks very much.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:05 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
The Reykjanes Peninsula, where the airport and Blue Lagoon are, is a great place to take a drive and explore! There are multiple lighthouses, there are 2 geothermal areas, there's the Bridge Between the Continents, and many other things to see.

I never suggest airport hotels, but unless you're doing something in Reykjavik you might do better with your early morning hotel price and location wise by getting something near the airport.

There's a great restaurants in Grindavik, just south of the BL called Salthouse. Great fish and priced much more reasonably than comparable Reykjavik restaurants: http://salthusid-english.weebly.com/
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:43 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

If you want a massage at the Blue Lagoon, then I recommend booking it early. I also recommend getting there when it opens before the tourist buses get there.

As for driving, you won't have enough time for the Ring Road so the Golden Circle is probably a good option. There's lots to see.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
You can probably head to the golden circle on that trip, this would the area north of Reykavik where there are some spectacular sites. I put a trip report up in the community section on this trip, so you can find some photos if you're interested. You might have very long daylight in June, so you could even head up to the Golden Circle Friday evening. The sites I'm referring too are about 60 - 90 minutes from Reykavik.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.