Reload this Page >

Finland 100 years in 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FFlash
Finland became an independent state on December 6, 1917.

Events in Turku (old capital of Finland, 2 hours west of Helsinki):
15-25th May Wood anemone flower blossom in Ruissalo natural park
13th June IAAF World Challenge "Paavo Nurmi games""
29th June - 2nd July Medieval market
7-9th July Ruisrock rock music festival
14-16th July Turku Castle Medieval Tournament
20-23th July "Tall ship's races" by the riverside with half million visitors expected
27-29th July Famous city music festivals "Down by the pier"
General recommendation in Turku is NOT to look anything special in town nor marketplace, it is ugly. The places you SHOULD look is the beautiful and lively riverside and surroundings where people pass their time.
Print Wikipost

Finland 100 years in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I was in HEL a couple of weeks ago - 2nd visit - and am looking to come back while it's still cold and AA Vacations still has deals . I'm a huge hockey fan and the weekends where AA has deals, both HIFK and Jokerit are on the road. Is there anything else re other leagues? U20? IIHF something? Also, what happened to the street hamburgers, the ones with an egg all sorts of other goodness? My first trip was filled with those (wasn't healthy at all ). A couple weeks ago, everything seemed closed. What did I miss?

As for the 100 yr celebration, anything coming up in the next 6 weeks or so that makes one weekend better than the next? A Lakka weekend?

Cheers -
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by thegrailer
I was in HEL a couple of weeks ago - 2nd visit - and am looking to come back while it's still cold and AA Vacations still has deals . I'm a huge hockey fan and the weekends where AA has deals, both HIFK and Jokerit are on the road. Is there anything else re other leagues? U20? IIHF something? Also, what happened to the street hamburgers, the ones with an egg all sorts of other goodness? My first trip was filled with those (wasn't healthy at all ). A couple weeks ago, everything seemed closed. What did I miss?
Many of those traditional street burger stalls are open only in evenings. Also some newer street food trailers were evicted from near railway station because they wouldn't respect the maximum number of trailers allowed there. It was an experiment where they were allowed to sell their food without too much red tape but they were supposed to work out things like that themselves. But you can still should be able to get traditional meat pie or burger "with everything" fairly easily at least after 6pm.

In Helsinki area (neighboring cities) there are two hockey teams playing in second highest league Mestis: Espoo United and Kiekko-Vantaa. Unfortunately both teams as well as league itself, seem to have their website only in Finnish:

http://www.espoounited.fi/
http://kiekko-vantaa.fi/
http://mestis.fi/

If you have any specific dates, me or some other Finn can surely find something.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm a huge hockey fan and the weekends where AA has deals, both HIFK and Jokerit are on the road. Is there anything else re other leagues? U20? IIHF something?
Why not go 'on the road' yourself? Finnish trains are good and, at least in the south, distances are short. Check the SM-Liiga schedule and you might find an interesting matchup in Lahti, Turku, Hämeenlinna or Tampere (only 1h29m on the fast trains). And, for all of these places, if you buy in advance, you can get a round-trip ticket for less than 20€.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Great ideas about hockey!!!
I'll look into both -- ^

As for the burgers, Ill look later at night. I was looking evening-ish around about the skating rink and the railway station. No luck.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Kallio
Many of those traditional street burger stalls are open only in evenings. Also some newer street food trailers were evicted from near railway station because they wouldn't respect the maximum number of trailers allowed there. It was an experiment where they were allowed to sell their food without too much red tape but they were supposed to work out things like that themselves. But you can still should be able to get traditional meat pie or burger "with everything" fairly easily at least after 6pm.

In Helsinki area (neighboring cities) there are two hockey teams playing in second highest league Mestis: Espoo United and Kiekko-Vantaa. Unfortunately both teams as well as league itself, seem to have their website only in Finnish:

http://www.espoounited.fi/
http://kiekko-vantaa.fi/
http://mestis.fi/

If you have any specific dates, me or some other Finn can surely find something.
Originally Posted by henry999
Why not go 'on the road' yourself? Finnish trains are good and, at least in the south, distances are short. Check the SM-Liiga schedule and you might find an interesting matchup in Lahti, Turku, Hämeenlinna or Tampere (only 1h29m on the fast trains). And, for all of these places, if you buy in advance, you can get a round-trip ticket for less than 20€.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Amazing, probably a good time to finally visit Scandinavia
Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Great ideas about hockey!!!
I'll look into both -- ^

As for the burgers, Ill look later at night. I was looking evening-ish around about the skating rink and the railway station. No luck.

Thanks
There are not that many burger joints in Helsinki, but recently popping up more.
"Naughty Brgr" is one that I tasted and it was good in comparison to others but not world-class.

Just opposite the railway station is "Friends n brgrs" but after 3 tries it is not anymore on my go-to list. While their burgers are fresh and well made, that is their problem, they are too "perfectioned" with the classic ingredient setup, there is nothing that stands out and makes you come back. It is a 4/5 but not calling you back.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

A bit lazy for posting, but anyways...

Since a couple of days now, just started winter world tournament, FIS Nordic Ski Championships in Lahti, which is situated a 1-hour highway drive north from Helsinki, easily connected with train as well.
For those around the area and interested in winter games, the championship will go on for another week still, so there is plenty of time still to go and enjoy the atmosphere
Old May 4, 2017, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Almost ashamingly low activity in this thread, despite the festival year. I should start posting some events here if I only had time to compile some.

Anyways, I see that there is a Wiki now by muji's last edit, nice official logo there
Old May 15, 2017, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Tips for travellers in Finland right now is to look for spring blossom in the forests and parks that are free for all.
Not that we have anything as great as Japanese Hanami but there is a cherry park in Helsinki Roihuvuori park where they have a celebration the coming Sunday (link in Finnish only, sorry)

My special recommendation right now is to go to Ruissalo natural park in Turku where the wood anemone white flowers just started full blossom, lasting 1-2 weeks and is abundant in the unique forest park, fabulously beautiful (and not crowded!). I go there every "mother's day celebration" with my wife and the park is just lovely and she is always overwhelmed by the fields of anemone blossom.
Tourists can easily get to Turku by train/bus from Helsinki, 2 hours ride, and then local city bus nr 8 from Turku city center marketplace to the Ruissalo natural park.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:24 am
Original Poster

here a link to a webpage with some photo of wood anemone field
Old May 15, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Added some recommended summer events in Turku city southwest of Helsinki, lovely especially during summer.
Will try to update more events in other parts of Finland too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.