Wiki Posts
Search

Early Aug or Late Sep visit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Early Aug or Late Sep visit

I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip to the Nordic Countries. (any and all tips welcome)

I remember when I went to Europe in September, there were plenty of places that were packed with people. How would a visit in Aug vs. Sept compare? Crowd wise, would a September visit (21st) be much better? I know the temps will be cooler but I'd rather put on a jacket than deal with crowds.

Secondly, is there a particular time (like many places in Europe) that a lot of places are shut down because it's the time when everyone goes on holiday?

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:43 pm

Generally, the nordic countries doesn't shut down during holidays. However, early august would be the time when school kids are still on summer leave and parents are on vacation so expect a bit more crowding at beaches, at outdoor bars etc.

I don't think it would make much different which of the two times you chose. Early aug will be the beginning of the best part of nordic summer, late september would mean lower temperatures and more darkness.

If you're going very far north (as in the northern parts of Sweden and Norway) I'd suggest august because of the amount of sun you'd get.

In any event, welcome!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by nollbit
If you're going very far north (as in the northern parts of Sweden and Norway) I'd suggest august because of the amount of sun you'd get.
Actually late September is one of the best times to visit Lapland as there are autumn colors and mosquitoes plaguing the northern summers are mostly gone. It won't be warm but not yet freezing either. For the southern part of the Nordics I'd say August is better because of the weather. I don't think tourist crowds are big problem anywhere in the Nordics.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
After mid-August when the schools start, many venues may already close for the winter or have more limited opening times. OTOH since July is the most important vacation month, things have already somewhat calmed down.

I generally refrain from giving these kind of advice as YMMV, but on this question the answer is IMO August.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I visited Stockholm this year in the first half of September. It seemed an ideal time - hotel prices had come down as it was no longer peak season, but the temperature was still nice and the crowds were lighter than they would have been a few weeks earlier.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Hey! Thanks for the info. Good to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.