Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

KEF->CPH->MAD Separate Tickets, Sufficient Time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Hi all -

Apologies if this doesn't warrant its own thread, I didn't see any hits on this though who knows if I searched correctly. Also for the 'dumb' question(s) on paperwork/processing

Looking to travel from Iceland (KEF) to Madrid on Jan. 1, 2017. While a quick search online shows a 1-stop (of 2hr15min) option through DUS, I was wondering if you all could provide some feedback on the below 'create my own', which we might prefer in order to get some extra post-new-years eve sleep in Iceland.

KEF-CPH arrives 6:15pm IcelandAir, then CPH-MAD departs 8:30pm norwegian air. I know the 2 airlines operate out of different 'terminals' (2 and 3), but I also gather those are really one large area.

Likely to have a bag checked in, and I assume it won't be possible to have them check through to the final destination (who do I contact to try this? Iceland Air since it's the first flight?)

So is 2hr15min on Jan. 1 enough time to arrive, go through any paperwork requirements (inexperienced travelers on US Passports), pick up luggage, then re-screen and make it to the 8:30pm flight?

Any other questions I should be asking/considering? Time before Norwegian Air departure that checked bags need to be screened? Etc.

Knowing enough to be dangerous, I'm aware that the separate tickets means it's likely our problem if we don't make it...anything else I should know?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:53 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You're right that you won't be able to check the luggage through - Norwegian is a low-cost airline, who allows interlining only on its own network.

You won't have to go through any immigration (Iceland, Denmark and Spain are all in the Schengen zone). Instead, you'll just head downstairs, collect your luggage, and walk round to the check-in area, then back upstairs and through security. The terminal designation is fairly meaningless at CPH - it basically designates the two check-in areas. 3 is the area right by the railway station; 2 is in the old area just off to the right as you go past the escalators up to security.

If you can get by without luggage, it's easier - no immigration, no security, just walk from one gate to the other.

Your risk factors here are flight delays and luggage delivery (the latter of which can be rather slow at Copenhagen). You basically have to be at check-in 45 minutes before departure, so 7:45. So you have 90 minutes from landing to get there, including picking up luggage. Any delay to the flight makes this incredibly tight, and DY are under no obligation to reaccommodate you if you turn up late.

Without luggage, it's less risky.

Personally, I have a rule of thumb that say a minimum of 4 hours between separate ticketed flights. But that's just me
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I'd rate your chances at 90% that you can make this connection work.

The question is, are you okay with a 10% risk factor and having to pay for another flight?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Stut and BostonFlyer1624! I think you both basically confirmed what we suspected - likely to make it, but the question is how acceptable is the (minimal) risk that we don't, along with what that entails.

While we're still running through some of the planning, it seems like we're going to leave Madrid on the 4th to come back to the States. So the extra 1hr40min of sleep in Iceland is being weighed against the risk of essentially losing half our time in Madrid, plus paying for a new flight from CPH, overnight hotel, etc. etc.

I'm on my way to the Iceland thread to try and learn about NYE there, and what type of experience we'd have if the goal is getting to sleep at a reasonable time - while still getting something of a night out

Thanks again, appreciate the detailed info on CPH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.