Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lapland, Finland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Anyone know how close the north pole marker is to Lapland? Would love to get a pic with it.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It wasn't that rare that I saw American friends and relatives wearing shorts in -20C weather when going to school in the US.
This made the rounds a few years ago. It's a propos:

+15 °C Spanish wear caps, gloves and winter coats, Finns are sunbathing.
+10 °C French desperately try to get their central heating on. Finns plant flowers.
+5 °C Italian cars won't start. Finns drive with convertibles.
0 °C Pure water freezes. Water in river Vantaa thickens a bit.
−5 °C First people are found frozen in California. Finnish midsummer festival ends.
−10 °C Scottish turn the heat on in their houses. Finns start to use long-sleeve shirts.
−20 °C Swedes stay indoors. Finns are having last barbeque before winter.
−30 °C Half of the Greek people have frozen to death. Finns start to dry their laundry indoors.
−50 °C Polar bears evacuate North Pole. Finnish army starts its winter training.
−70 °C Siberian people are moving to Moscow. Finns are furious since the Koskenkorva can't be stored outdoors anymore.
−273 °C Absolute zero. Finns admit that it is quite cold outside.
−300 °C Hell freezes over. Finland wins the football World Cup.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:25 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Anyone know how close the north pole marker is to Lapland? Would love to get a pic with it.
North Pole? Or Arctic Circle? Former is quite far... Arctic Circle goes basically through Rovaniemi in Lapland.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPBanker
North Pole? Or Arctic Circle? Former is quite far... Arctic Circle goes basically through Rovaniemi in Lapland.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
You guys may not know this but I'm from Chicago. -30C is not scary to me.
In that case you're set to go. Floridans or Californians on the other hand...
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The northernmost point in Finland (and the EU) is Nuorgam, Utsjoki, Lapland at 70°05′32″N 27°57′20″E. From here it's nearly 20° northward to the pole, so it's about 20x111km = 2220km as the crow flies. Quite a trek, I'd say
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
In that case you're set to go. Floridans or Californians on the other hand...
California and Florida have lots of so-called "snowbirds", but they like to escape the cold rather than head for it in winter.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Took a look at the kelo glass igloos and they're not cheap, damn.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by henry999
This made the rounds a few years ago. It's a propos:

+15 °C Spanish wear caps, gloves and winter coats, Finns are sunbathing.
+10 °C French desperately try to get their central heating on. Finns plant flowers.
+5 °C Italian cars won't start. Finns drive with convertibles.
0 °C Pure water freezes. Water in river Vantaa thickens a bit.
−5 °C First people are found frozen in California. Finnish midsummer festival ends.
−10 °C Scottish turn the heat on in their houses. Finns start to use long-sleeve shirts.
−20 °C Swedes stay indoors. Finns are having last barbeque before winter.
−30 °C Half of the Greek people have frozen to death. Finns start to dry their laundry indoors.
−50 °C Polar bears evacuate North Pole. Finnish army starts its winter training.
−70 °C Siberian people are moving to Moscow. Finns are furious since the Koskenkorva can't be stored outdoors anymore.
−273 °C Absolute zero. Finns admit that it is quite cold outside.
−300 °C Hell freezes over. Finland wins the football World Cup.
Just found this. A good one ^ While otherwise quite correct, I still have minor substitutions:

−20 °C Swedes stay indoors. Russians still have barbecue, but Finns finally don't complain anymore about bad winter weather (wet and slashy) but start to enjoy that the snow holds and is good for skiing.
−30 °C Half of the Greek people have frozen to death. Finns start to dry their laundry indoors.Not true, it is perfect dry weather to dry laundry outdoors, my wife does that
−50 °C Polar bears evacuate North Pole. Finnish army starts its winter training.I had my obligatory camp at -52C. My rifle got stuck and my team lost a battle.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
A family from California visiting Lapland this coming Christmas...

Trying to find a one way rental car from Rovaniemi to Kolari, but haven’t had much success. Found a company called Scandia Rent that serves Kolari, but it refused to confirm my reservation due to “one way rental during high season” even with the one-way rental surcharge.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
A family from California visiting Lapland this coming Christmas...

Trying to find a one way rental car from Rovaniemi to Kolari, but haven’t had much success. Found a company called Scandia Rent that serves Kolari, but it refused to confirm my reservation due to “one way rental during high season” even with the one-way rental surcharge.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
I understand (and generally agree with) the 'keep it simple' approach to presenting information. However, if you gave us a bit more detail, we'd be better able to give you good advice.

Rovaniemi - Kolari is not really that far. Why don't you want to drive back? How long will the car rental period be? One idea that pops into my mind might be a little complicated to organise but it would be quite convenient for you: hire someone to drive the car back. He would have to meet you when you collected the car in order to sign on as second driver, but then he could make his own way to Kolari when it was time to take the car back. Wouldn't be impossible to find a reliable person able and willing to do that.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by henry999
Rovaniemi - Kolari is not really that far. Why don't you want to drive back? How long will the car rental period be?
My original plan was to drive from Rovaniemi to Akaslompolo, spend a couple nights there, then ride the train back to Helsinki from Kolari. I try to avoid backtracking if possible. Unfortunately most rental car companies are located in Kittila airport.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Bumping an old thread as it has some savvy people all ready on it.

Looking at 4 nights in Feb end for a special occasion. The hotel needs to be luxury and available on hotels.com and close to a location that Finnair flies to so I can use my points.

Ideally it should have kid friendly activities and good chance to see the northern lights. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:36 pm

Any recommendations or reviews of Kakslauttanen Artic Resort?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.