Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking of Iceland

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Thinking of Iceland

Been seeing and reading some nice write ups on Iceland and have started looking at a trip. Looking at a 5 day trip in either May or June, I understand the weather should be pleasant around this time, but is there a better time to make this trip? And should I adjust the schedule plus or minus a day? Is there more to see with an extra day? Or will I get bored and should shorten the trip?
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:59 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Hi,

My guess would be that spring is a good time to go to Iceland, just as my trip in November was a good time. Not too crowded with a lot of tourists, but the weather should probably be past its worst.

I did a 5 day trip. If I would do it again, I would rent a car 3 days instead of 2(possibly have a day of organised excursions) and only stay in Reykjavik for 2 days (of which one is Blue Lagoon). I would even consider driving around the whole island, and spend a night or two in another place than Reykjavik.

In my opinion, Reykjavik isn't much to see. One day is more than enough and the best parts in Reykjavik are the fabulous restaurants. However, you don't have to go far outside Reykjavik to see amazing things, and that's why staying in Reykjavik and renting a car and making day-trips from Reykjavik is not a bad option.

Niksal
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:29 am

Iceland is a destination that defies words! I'd allow a day for Reykjavik ... good half day tour with Reykjavik Excursions visiting the Presidential Residence, Perlan etc and then wandering ... possibly having a meal at the Seabaron eatery and visiting Puffin Island, and there's lots of other things to see from Reykjavik, bearing in mind that some of the days are long ones .......... Snaefellsness peninsula, Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon, (these are the long days), and the Golden Circle and a half day at the Blue Lagoon ... really relaxing.

Car hire is very expensive, especially if you are hiring from the airport. You might consider taking the flybus for your transfers instead and hiring from the city centre. Should you want to explore without the stress of driving and perhaps even going off-road, up a volcano or onto a glacier, might I recommend the company we used - Iceland On Track (Omar Sigurdsson, Tel. +354 899 5438, Oli J Kristjansson, Tel. +354 895 0985, www.icelandontrack.com) - as we got to experience 'real' Iceland in the capable hands of well-informed and most friendly locals.

You'll have a great time whatever you choose to do.

Last edited by Alsacienne; Jan 5, 2011 at 4:09 am
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:52 pm

Do they rent bicycles or motorscooters there?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by sdtumbleweed
Try these - http://borgarhjol.net/english. I have no first hand experience with them but they're closely associated with the Youth Hostel so I assume they're good at what they do.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by sdtumbleweed

Motorcyle rentals:

http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/eur...ik_rental.html

http://www.bluemountain.is/rental/
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Thanks for the tips.

I would love to do this on a bike as well, but the costs compared to getting a econo car just doesn't seem to make sense.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Been seeing and reading some nice write ups on Iceland and have started looking at a trip. Looking at a 5 day trip in either May or June, I understand the weather should be pleasant around this time, but is there a better time to make this trip? And should I adjust the schedule plus or minus a day? Is there more to see with an extra day? Or will I get bored and should shorten the trip?
Be sure that you get out of Reykjavik while you're there. You can take a bus out to the eastern side of the country via Landmannalaugar, which is an amazing trip and easier to do than be yourself.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:48 am

I would rather come in June than May. You are more likely to have warmer weather then, than in May.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:16 am

Rent a muscle car!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_D6nxAa7rA

I wonder if I could work out a visit with Björk whenever I make a trip there?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:11 pm

Note that she is here only about 1/3 of the year.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black, A-Club Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold, Rica Gold, EBB
I´ve heard that some people suggest you to rent a 4 wheel drive. Do you really need to do that? Won´t a normal small car be sufficient if you come in summer or late spring?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:13 pm

Make time to visit the National Museum in Reykjavik. Great "stuff" and when I was there in 2006, a baggage carousel was part of one of the exhibits.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: SK *B (?)
Originally Posted by micke100
I´ve heard that some people suggest you to rent a 4 wheel drive. Do you really need to do that? Won´t a normal small car be sufficient if you come in summer or late spring?
Depends on where you want to go. When you leave the large roads it can get really rough.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by micke100
It depends on where you want to go. Small cars are restricted to the area directly around Reykjavik. You're able to drive out to Geysir and Thingvellir no problem, but you will not be able to drive to the remoter locations of Iceland. For that, you will need a 4x4. Things might have changed since I was there last, but I remember that detail very clearly. It was a cover on the steering wheel that told us that, along with advising us that "Sheeps do not obey road laws".

Also, if you intend to go into the central part of the country, you will be fjording rivers once the road stops. It's best to have a guide. Insurance doesn't cover pulling your 4x4 out of the river/water damage from that I remember reading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.