Wiki Posts
Search

Fixing bad AirBnB Beds

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2021, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Fixing bad AirBnB Beds

I am thinking about spending a few weeks in Florida at an AirBnB. I have a few places that fit my needs...except for the beds. I don't know why, but it seems AirBnB hosts have a preference for thin, hard mattresses.

I am willing to spend a hundred dollars or so on better comfort, but what could I do? Is a mattress topper going to fix it? And more importantly, what o I do with it when it is time to leave?

Ideas?
Old May 25, 2021, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
You can always message the potential/confirmed AirBnB hosts in advance to ask if they can accommodate. Some hosts are willing to do things.
I don't mean buy a new mattress, but at least be able to confirm that the mattress is not rock hard thin, or be able to add a topper for you, etc.
Old May 25, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I am thinking about spending a few weeks in Florida at an AirBnB. I have a few places that fit my needs...except for the beds. I don't know why, but it seems AirBnB hosts have a preference for thin, hard mattresses.

I am willing to spend a hundred dollars or so on better comfort, but what could I do? Is a mattress topper going to fix it? And more importantly, what o I do with it when it is time to leave?

Ideas?
You could do like lots of folks do in Hawai'i. Buy the item from Costco, use it for the month, and then return it. Yes, I am just kidding, but I couldn't believe how much of this we saw during our trip. However, you could buy an inexpensive topper and then donate it to a homeless shelter.
M60_to_LGA and arollins like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I'm not sure how you're assessing the mattresses right now, if the exact model isn't published, how can you tell it's thin and hard?

A topper is only going to take a bad mattress so far.
Old May 25, 2021, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
We rented a beach place last year with just enough beds, including a thin sofa bed mattress. We just rotated so no one had to sleep more than 2 nights on it. I’ve bought things for Air BnB homes, but I wouldn’t spend that much. Can opener? Sure. Mattress? No way. Toppers don’t do much. I wouldn’t bother.
Old May 25, 2021, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Do the reviews say the beds are terrible?

Maybe offer the owner to go halfsies on whatever mattress topper you buy.
Old May 25, 2021, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Maybe there is an abnb vendor who has thicker mattresses?
my big abnb sigh is that most beds are smaller than King so in some ways, embassy / Marriott suites are more appealing due to their King beds :-)
Old May 25, 2021, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Inflatable air mattress?
chrisl137 likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cloudship

Ideas?
There’s zero other abnb with a better mattress? I go on holiday in order to have nice or nicer things. Mattress management seems like an avoidable hassle.

I like corky’s idea of the air mattress and will suggest buying it there at BBBY because it’s bulky annoying on the plane. Plus other PAX might not like being bumped with the mattress, soft as it is. I don’t even know if a mattress fits through or on the tsa conveyer belt.
Old May 25, 2021, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
There’s zero other abnb with a better mattress? I go on holiday in order to have nice or nicer things. Mattress management seems like an avoidable hassle.

I like corky’s idea of the air mattress and will suggest buying it there at BBBY because it’s bulky annoying on the plane. Plus other PAX might not like being bumped with the mattress, soft as it is. I don’t even know if a mattress fits through or on the tsa conveyer belt.
Huh?
You don't carry it on the plane inflated!! It fits in a box. I have one that I used years ago that my niece would sleep on when she visited and she loved it. I just had it on the floor but if you put it on the mattress, it would be even better provided it didn't slide off in the middle of the night. I think it came with something to inflate it using a hair dryer.
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/intex-dura-beam-classic-downy-queen-airbed-19itxuqndrbmdwnyrcsl/19itxuqndrbmdwnyrcsl?sku=20677586&camp=CSESG_927 00048853362810_lia_pla-825732825839&segment=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwLKFBhDPARIsAP zPi-LxBUu9JZfrBZSfFymcHAp7sxyV4P_33ZhNZnxqFItW18YSEMB6 1gAaAvPXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old May 25, 2021, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
Huh?
You don't carry it on the plane inflated!! It fits in a box. I have one that I used years ago that my niece would sleep on when she visited and she loved it. I just had it on the floor but if you put it on the mattress, it would be even better provided it didn't slide off in the middle of the night. I think it came with something to inflate it using a hair …
s
Well, if it’s deflated, then that’s a lot of blowing to do without the electrical inflator. Also inflated or not, it’ll be another 20 pounds weight.
Old May 25, 2021, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by gaobest
Well, if it’s deflated, then that’s a lot of blowing to do without the electrical inflator. Also inflated or not, it’ll be another 20 pounds weight.
It's $15 and weighs 9 pounds. The inflator is $12 and probably weighs 5 pounds. That's far less than 20 pounds, and they are inexpensive enough that one can simply buy it at the location, use it, and either leave it, or take it back in their luggage. Likewise, if one doesn't want to haul it, USPS priority mail shipping can work as well.
corky likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
FWIW, the name "AirBnB" originally referred to... air mattresses on the floor. That was the origin of the company -- some guys sharing a rented apartment who couldn't afford to live there unless they rented out air mattresses on the floor to visitors/tourists. They ran an "air mattress B & B."
BamaVol and hedoman like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kipper
It's $15 and weighs 9 pounds. The inflator is $12 and probably weighs 5 pounds. That's far less than 20 pounds, and they are inexpensive enough that one can simply buy it at the location, use it, and either leave it, or take it back in their luggage. Likewise, if one doesn't want to haul it, USPS priority mail shipping can work as well.
One Christmas vacation a few years ago, when I was UA Platinum, we packed a (deflated) queen-size AeroBed into a small duffel bag as a second checked bag for the kids to use in my parent's condo's living room. The bed and built-in pump weighs about 15 pounds. Easy peasy, and the kids were comfy.
corky likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
You could do like lots of folks do in Hawai'i. Buy the item from Costco, use it for the month, and then return it. Yes, I am just kidding, but I couldn't believe how much of this we saw during our trip. However, you could buy an inexpensive topper and then donate it to a homeless shelter.
Can you donate mattress toppers in Florida? That idea occurred to me, but in Mass you are not allowed to donate mattresses or toppers. I figured that would be the same down there.

Unfortunately A $2000 budget for four weeks does not go far in South Florida. This isn't a vacation - it's an experiment to see if I could handle living down there. I was hoping I could do it while I had a chance before we had to go back to work in person. That means a shared room isn't going to work for me, and ther aren't a ton of decent options. I found a few places that checked off most of my requirements, but the one thing missing was a decent bed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.