Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Timesharing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Timesharing

Our Family loves to stay at Timeshares. We own in Scottsdale,Sedona,Palm Desert and South Tahoe all 2 bedroom lock off units and enjoy the flexibility of being able to cook. We bought on the resale market.

We don't buy into upgrading to points. For instance Diamond Resorts Sedona Summit is a nice property and down the road people pay $200 at the Best Western if not more during the holidays.

I know people like their hotel rooms and suites but resorts let us spread out. Those Studio units have a couch,some have a two burner stove and full fridge. The main unit often bas a Jacuzzi.

Any other FT members own and enjoy Timesharing?

Yes there are Maintenance Fees but this is how we budget our stay and we also exchange via RCI and II.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:52 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to Non-Hotel Lodging Services.
Please follow there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: Free Agent
Loves to stay at timeshares is a stretch for me but we do it.
Own three:
One in Breckenridge, CO
One in Vail, CO
One in Austria

All purchased on the resale market for $1. They are quite nice with maintnece fees ranging between $950-1,750 a year. However its been a burden to try to use them all every year. We may have over purchased .

We do bank them but find the RCI program to be difficult with a lot of lower tier properties. In fact Tahoe in particular seems to be a dump as far as trading into. Im sure the nicer ones (like yours i assume) all get used like my vail one i suppose.

The Colorado ones are dedicated ski weeks in Jan & Feb.

Probably try to get out of them in the next few years.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
RCI is not the greatest exchange company for our needs. We have to use, emphasis on the word HAVE to use, RCI for two of our resorts, but we really love Interval International. We get great exchanges into Marriott, Hyatt and Westin/Sheraton/ Vistana resorts.

If you have the opportunity to use II, use it. It's a lot better than RCI. I am very negative on RCI, as you can tell. My exchanges through RCI are not the quality of II. RCI does have the Hilton brand, but if you don't want to go to Las Vegas, Oahu, Big Island, or Orlando, the Hiltons are going to do you much good.

Our niece and nephew just exchanged into a week at Hyatt Beach House in Key West, FL for 7/30, a 2 bed, 2 bath, and they were planning to get rid of their timeshare week (fees of $710 per year) because they didn't want to go to North Carolina every year. This gem of an exchange is worth every cent of their exchange and membership fees for Interval International. So now they discovered exchanges and are sold on their timeshare again. Exchanging is great, but low fees for exchanging is key.

We love timeshares and rent what we cannot use. We own quite a few, and some people make a business of renting timeshare, and they make a great deal of money, but there are risks involved.

You cannot rent exchange weeks, it's against the exchange companies' rules. You can only rent your deeded weeks, and the key is to at least get your maintenance fees reimbursed in your rental, so you don't have to deposit weeks in RCI.

The question one has to ask is how much is too much for a hotel room, when compared to a timeshare with more room and the guaranteed experience of staying at your owned week.

We own three weeks on Maui at a very ordinary resort on Lower Honoapiilani Hwy, but our weeks are deeded oceanfront, and we did that so we are guaranteed that oceanfront view every year. The timeshare is literally 40 feet from the ocean, and our lanai is oceanfront. It's 2 bed, 2 bath, has a full kitchen and washer/dryer. It's clean, and we love it. We bought the weeks on ebay, floating weeks 1-50, so not including Christmas/ New Year's weeks. We go during whale season. The price we pay is steep for those weeks, $1650 in MF's and taxes for each week, but what would a hotel cost that is oceanfront, 40 feet from the water, and located in West Maui?

I am on the BOD of a very small timeshare in Frisco, only six townhouse-style units, which is next to Breckenridge. We rented our two weeks this year, both weeks were prime ski weeks. I could never rent our summer weeks for this resort for MF's, so I will have to deposit those to RCI. Bummer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.