Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO
Reload this Page >

VRBO / HomeAway double booked my reservation. What do I do now??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VRBO / HomeAway double booked my reservation. What do I do now??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
To the OP

Wow that is really a rotten owner, I would be extremely upset also.

I have rented numerous times on both VRBO and Home Away, in the US, Mexico and Belize and I guess I have been lucky.

A curiosity question... did you follow up with a phone call to the owner?

I generally book several months out, once it was a year out. Daughter getting married and I needed nine bedrooms all with onsuite.

I always call at the time of rental, and every couple of months after.

I hope your CC company comes thru for you.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:05 am

I don't think that the owner should have to pay the difference between his property and the Hilton. In my mind the most the owner should pay is any difference in price of the Hilton between the time OP booked the homeaway property and the time OP booked the Hilton. The PayPal thing is strange, the property owner should have returned the money to the credit card OP paid with through the Homeaway system. The credit card fee would have been refunded to the homeowner and there would be no grounds for disputing the charge since all of the money was returned to OP
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
If VRBO allows owners to rate guests (do they have that?), we'd have a good rating as our 7 or 8 completed rentals have all been pleasant and without any kind of dispute with owners over payment, damage, etc.
No they don't have that. But as an owner, and having had some bad experiences with guests, I now research the guest online before accepting a booking.

As to the OP, he should get exactly what the contract states he should get.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
No they don't have that. But as an owner, and having had some bad experiences with guests, I now research the guest online before accepting a booking.

As to the OP, he should get exactly what the contract states he should get.
This is a key difference between hotel chains and one-off property owners/managers. Hilton might cut some slack because it wants to keep your business. So, people get used to getting taken care of as a matter of customer service even when the contract doesn't require it.

But, VRBO is all about one-off's. Why does the San Diego property manager care about OP? He doesn't. He will never see him again, either way.

Last edited by Often1; Jun 11, 2015 at 11:33 am
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Are you willing to say how you research guests online, and what you're looking for?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:05 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Cancellation agreements are usually bi-lateral and damages limited to the amount you paid. Think about it, if innkeepers had unlimited liability in this situation, they would never accept reservations at all. At least with hotels, they have an incentive to make things right because they care about your future business.

This is not much different than an airline canceling and refunding your cheap advance purchase ticket and leaving you forced to buy an expensive walk-up fare at the airport.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: AC 25k, A3 *G, BA, Westjet Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
Be sure to leave a review on their website about your experience. The owner is not permitted to block the post, he is supposed to work with you to change the review if you disagree. He will get his chance to respond with the owners' comments. At least others will know what happened and can conduct themselves accordingly.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

VRBO / HomeAway horror story - could happen to anyone

You booked a property on VRBO or HomeAway and have already paid in full. Are you prepared for what can happen next?

The property owner / manager can cancel your reservation at any time before you take possession of the property for any or no reason leaving you with no place to stay. For example, a property manager may book his rental to somebody else who is willing to pay more money through a different website. When you arrive on site, he may inform you the unit is no longer available, even though you paid in full and confirmed your paid reservation with him days, weeks, or months in advance.

The property owner / manager is only obligated to refund the amount you paid for the booking. This can take days or weeks to get returned to you through the VRBO / HomeAway site. Hopefully you paid with a credit card so you can have the credit card do an immediate charge back and return the money you paid back to you.

The property owner / manager is under no obligation to find you alternate lodging or reimburse you any cost difference between his property and wherever it is you find to stay (assuming you can find a place to stay). If you have to pay more to stay somewhere else, that is coming out of your pocket, not his.

You will never be allowed to leave any sort of negative feedback for the property owner / manager on the VRBO / HomeAway website since you never actually stayed there. No future potential customers will ever know that person double books his property. You have zero recourse against the person who just scammed you.

Please don’t be as gullible as I was and believe this cannot happen to you. I went to a conference in a major US city and booked what was advertised as a luxury condo next to the convention center for a reasonable price. I paid in full via a credit card. I received an email confirmation from VRBO / HomeAway. I contact the property manager to confirm the reservation three weeks ahead of my check in date which he happily confirmed. Thirty minutes before boarding my plane to fly to the conference, the property manager texts me telling me he double booked it and I have nowhere to stay. His alternative lodging options were ridiculous – one was a house under construction and the other was a flea-bag motel. Both options were miles from the conference center. Calls to VRBO / HomeAway went nowhere. I was able to get my credit card to do a charge back very easily at least. I ultimately ended up paying close to double the VRBO / HomeAway condo price for a decent last minute hotel.

My advice – if you are going to use VRBO / HomeAway, you need to have a plan B from the very beginning in case your property is not available when you get there. I have been using these sites for years without incident thinking when I paid in full I was securing and guaranteeing the property. This is not the case.

I am posting this in hopes I can prevent this from happening to somebody else. Please understand what you are getting yourself into with these sites and plan accordingly. Thanks for reading.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
I have heard quite a few people having trouble with VRBO, I think we should start a name & shame list with the property owners names.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by uwcableguy
Y

I went to a conference in a major US city and booked what was advertised as a luxury condo next to the convention center for a reasonable price. I paid in full via a credit card. I received an email confirmation from VRBO / HomeAway. I contact the property manager to confirm the reservation three weeks ahead of my check in date which he happily confirmed. Thirty minutes before boarding my plane to fly to the conference, the property manager texts me telling me he double booked it and I have nowhere to stay. His alternative lodging options were ridiculous – one was a house under construction and the other was a flea-bag motel. Both options were miles from the conference center. Calls to VRBO / HomeAway went nowhere. I was able to get my credit card to do a charge back very easily at least. I ultimately ended up paying close to double the VRBO / HomeAway condo price for a decent last minute hotel.

I am posting this in hopes I can prevent this from happening to somebody else. Please understand what you are getting yourself into with these sites and plan accordingly. Thanks for reading.
What's the name and location of the property?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As you've already posted about this, why keep saying the same thing? It's not going to change things and what happened to you is nothing new, strange or unlikely.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:38 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Thread has been merged with the existing discussion from the same member from a few days ago. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I appreciate this thread greatly, and thank the OP. It reminds me that VRBO is not at all like a hotel, and that I need to read the contract very carefully before selecting a VRBO to stay at, whether overseas or domestic.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to help others avoid this mess

For those who were asking, it's this property - VRBO Listing #3925381ha

Originally Posted by Often1
As you've already posted about this, why keep saying the same thing? It's not going to change things and what happened to you is nothing new, strange or unlikely.
I'm simply trying to help other people avoid a similar situation by presenting facts as they are unfolding and asking for advice from others. I tried to create an executive summary in a separate thread for easy reference but it was combined with this thread by the mods, and that's why it appears as duplicate information. I must ask, what have you added to this discussion by your last comment that is quoted above? Or advice like 'suck it up'? You come across as a travel elitist and it doesn't help. You can see by the posts by other travelers in this thread that this situation is indeed something that is 'new, strange, or unlikely' to many of us. If you are not going to help contribute to the community in a helpful manner, please exercise some restraint and refrain from commenting.

On second thought...I suppose if you keep commenting this thread will stay on the front page meaning more people will see it and possibly be saved from this same situation.

Last edited by uwcableguy; Jun 14, 2015 at 1:22 am Reason: correction
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by uwcableguy
For those who were asking, it's this property - VRBO Listing #3925381ha

I don't see a review for that listing from you. That would be the proper way to warn others - not FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.