Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:12 am

Good point - taxes

Perpignan, good point! I used once, in 2013 AirBnb for a short stay in Barcelona, but it was so not good, that I ended up moving to a serviced apartment, just across the Corte Ingles, in the city center. It was from a a local company.
Few friends of mine tried it, but 4 out of 5 weren't so happy!

And regarding the taxes, I was reading that a law was passed in US forcing them to pay taxes, as well the owners!

It is an invasion of sites like AirBnb. I am wondering if it is a bubble or is here to last, this business model?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, US Silver
I rented a place in Los Angeles for a weekend and it was a nice change from a hotel. I enjoyed being able to stay in a more residential area.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:21 pm
Suspended

The question is whether the people you were staying next to enjoyed you staying there daeagle.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:33 am
sfx

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
The question is whether the people you were staying next to enjoyed you staying there daeagle.
how'd they know?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
My wife and I stayed in Ojai this past weekend at an AirBnB booking. It was a separate suite on the property, a wing of the U-shaped Spanish style hacienda with a central courtyard around a fountain.

The place was spacious and immaculate, thoughtfully decorated and thoroughly comfortable. It was in one of the most desirable areas of the valley, in an oak forest, yet walkable to the commercial part of town.

The host was charming and at the same time respectful of our privacy. In the morning she provided fruit, cereal, milk, coffee, tea, fresh squeezed orange juice and a nice boiled fresh egg from her hens. The mini-fridge had snacks, even iced coffees.

It was $210 for two weekend nights, AirBnB fees included. If you know the area, you are aware of what a value this is.

We have upcoming AirBnB stays in NYC and France and many past stays including Turkey, Mexico, Hong Kong, Hawaii, Chicago and San Francisco. We are able to stay in areas we could not otherwise afford if we required hotels. I'm sorry for those who have had issues, we are quite thorough with our research of the properties and always make personal contact with the owners before booking.

We are disappointed anymore when we have to book and stay in a hotel. It's usually one night in or near an airport and we use points.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by sfx
how'd they know?
He was probably quieter and less of a problem than the permanent residents in the area
Old May 3, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
I just had my first stay through airBNB (for $0 with a code off of Mighty Traveler blog, thanks!)...a thing I didn't realize is that hostels sometimes put their lodgings on there! I was able to get 2 nights in Asakusa, Tokyo, 5 minutes' walk from Senso-Ji temple for what would've been $49 all-in if I didn't have the code- basically a steal. My place had some long-term residents mixed in with the tourists and they were all really nice- one even gave me a free ticket to a museum where her art was being shown! Another took me out to eat at this 250 yen bento place nearby, and the owner supplied us all with free "overfermented" wine (it was a little sketch, but not as bad as he made it sound. But, free? no one got ill).

I thought airBNBs were a lot more expensive than hostels but since I'm learning they are not in all cases (found rooms as low as $20-30 for upcoming trip in Oahu) I'll keep an eye on them in my lineup of budget places (hostelbookers, hostelworld, kayak, and the budgetly-ist, CS)

A few friends have used it and have only had positive comments thus far.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: Accor Platinum
I stayed in Hong Kong, Taipei and Seoul through airbnb and it was a positive experience, mainly because I could stay very cheaply in a city center every single time.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), DL GLD, AL GLD, SPG GLD, HY DMD, MRTT PLAT
Stayed at AirBNB in Miami Beach. Was 10 out of 10. Beats hotel anytime!
Old May 8, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by jtmnyc00
Stayed at AirBNB in Miami Beach. Was 10 out of 10. Beats hotel anytime!
That's like saying I ate at a restaurant in New York City, and it was the best ever. Unless you link to the property, or give more details, it doesn't carry much weight.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by Daichovo
I just had my first stay through airBNB (for $0 with a code off of Mighty Traveler blog, thanks!)
Hmm, what's that code? LOL... share the love
Old May 17, 2014, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by EtoileFilante
Hmm, what's that code? LOL... share the love
It's expired, and was only valid for Japan.

They do have ones that they release every now and again, so you might keep your eyes open.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:17 pm

I was an airbnb host in Orlando, and have now used airbnb in: Phoenix, Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba and Seville. I am not so sure I would do it anymore. I am currently in Spain (April/May 2014) and booked most of my airbnb before I left on my trip.

In Madrid my host was not there. She was in Peru on vacation for 2 months. In Spain not many people speak English, so communication was not easy. I did not understand that she was going to be gone. What I have come to realise is that airbnb places are not near the sights. Duh.. they are in a residential area. It was easy enough to find the place, but I didn’t really like the area. Her friend welcomed me in and showed me around. He did not speak any English. It turned out there was no phone in the apartment, the washer was broken and I couldn’t get hot water the whole time I was there. I had a few challenges while there which just made it annoying. (My door key didn’t work for 2 days). While I really liked having a kitchen to use, the bed was not very comfortable and in general I could have rented a room in a Hostal for the same price.

Next stop was Toledo, Spain. My host was super nice, but his place was a bachelors house. It was not very clean. Fortunately I was only there one night, but I was really uncomfortable in the bathroom which I thought was very untidy. The kitchen was pretty dreadful as well. Definitely not hotel standards. Again, the price wasn’t that cheap and many Hostals are the same price.

I then went to Cordoba. It turned out the place I stayed at for 3 or 4 nights was a place that is becoming a Hostel of it’s own. The room was nice enough, bed comfortable, but the bathroom was across an outdoor patio which was not lit at night. Again, for the price I could have stayed at a Hostel in town with my own bathroom. It was not clear from the post that this place has many rooms that are rented out and it is a work in progress.

Seville was the last place I did airbnb. The hostess was really nice. I had some difficulty finding her place, and it was further out from the main part of town than I realised. My biggest challenge was she did not have internet which was important to me. Her post did say internet, but she had disconnected it since she wasn’t there much and forgot to change the posting. Another place that didn’t have a phone. I had purchased a cheap cell phone to use in Spain but I had trouble using it. In this day and age, a lot of people no longer have land lines because they use their cell phone so much. I paid a little more for this place because it looked very nice from the photos. It was a nice condo, but I might have found a hostel closer to the city for the same price.

I did pick places that had reviews. I tried to find ones at a good price but didn’t realise that in Spain a Hostal is not a Hostel. They are nice hotels that aren’t 4 star, but are clean and nice and reasonably priced. Not every property owner is clean. When staying at someone’s home I don’t really feel comfortable using a bathroom that isn’t particularly clean. I guess I am too much of a clean freak. The other thing I realised is that the locations are not as good as a hotel or hostal.

Currently I have been hosting a place in Torremolinos Spain that has 3 bedrooms and one bath. Two of the rooms are posted on airbnb and I get to host for someone. The one bathroom has to be shared by whomever is here. I take great care to clean this place really well every time someone leaves. Most of the guests are just here for 1 night, a few have been here for 4 nights.

The big plus is being able to use a kitchen so you don’t have to eat out all the time. Not ever host will let you have use of the kitchen though, and the use of a washing machine is also a nice add on. You really have to take the time to read all the details of the listing, email the owner and ask questions.

So far I have been disappointed with every one of my choices. The hosts were all nice, but the locations weren’t that great and for the price they charged, lacked many of the amenities a hotel offers. I am going to Barcelona next and I was shocked to see what people want for a room! You can get a room in a hotel cheaper! Airbnb was a good concept but I think too many people are charging too much for what they are offering. They aren’t a hotel, don’t offer a room as nice as a hotel, and often aren’t even there. That was one of the reasons I wanted to use airbnb, to meet local people and two of my 4 hosts didn’t live at their place.

The best deal I got was in Phoenix - a room for $20. Now that makes sense. There was only a bed in the room, but it was comfortable, the bathroom was separate and very clean. For a single night stay it worked fine.

I would only use airbnb again if I couldn’t find a hotel at a reasonable rate.
Old May 23, 2014, 2:44 am

I've now tried AirBnB for 5 stays in the USA and Canada, and it worked out well. In each case, I did so because the prices were cheaper than I could otherwise obtain for a hotel, and sometimes on par with a hostel dorm bed. They all had shared bathrooms (except for one upgrade).

All of the hosts have been pleasant people. Sometimes I've been too busy to chat much, or they weren't around when I was, but they were all nice.

In some cases, like New Orleans for the Jazz Fest, the price of a reasonably located hotel was so stratospheric that I felt I had no choice. I liked visiting the two non-French-Quarter neighborhoods I stayed in, and I had chosen them with an eye to safety and convenience, and it worked out well.

I agree that it's important to make sure of the convenience of the location of your AirBnB host. Many live in places that are not convenient for public transit, and so I disregard those.

In general, I prefer a nice 3* or 4* hotel with an included high-quality breakfast buffet like is typical in Germany, but realistically, that sort of hotel room often costs more than I want to pay (although I will use every trick I can to find the cheapest room - thanks FlyerTalk and BetterBidding).
Old May 23, 2014, 2:46 am
sfx

I've found AirBNB is used different in Europe. Only tends to be worth if if travelling as a family/group.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.