Blue Hill Restaurant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blue Hill Restaurant

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2009, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Blue Hill Restaurant

The New York Times reports that President and Mrs. Obama dined last night at "Blue Hill, a restaurant off Washington Square Park that specializes in cuisine from the Hudson Valley. (It sounded like the choice of Mrs. Obama, who favors local food.)"

Has any New York City forum regular had a meal there? Did you like it? What did you have?
Old May 31, 2009, 10:14 am

Been there twice. Focus is on locally grown and in season food. I was last there last summer. Think simple dishes like grape tomatoes served on a pin rack as an amuse. It's been some time, so I can't remember all the dishes I had, but the main was lamb. Some of the best lamb I have ever had. The experience at Blue Hill was everything that I had expected to have at Chez Panisse (but ended up being very dissapointed with).

I hear Blue Hill at Stone Barnes (up on the farm) is even better.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a great dinner there about 3 years ago. I only remember the foie gras. Then again, foie gras is usually always pretty delicious.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I should have realized that this was not going to escape Bruni's attention.

From All the President’s Rhubarb

During the 2008 campaign Mr. Obama sometimes came across — and was often portrayed — as someone almost joylessly disciplined and restrained around food, and that discipline and restraint went hand in hand with an unflappability that, on occasions, made it difficult for him to connect.

It would have been fun to see the president contradict that impression and play against type when he and the first lady sat down to dinner in New York. It would have been interesting to watch him bust loose and reach for something rich, messy, decadent, gluttonous: a plate of fatty lamb ribs at Resto; some pâtés and terrines at Bar Boulud; one of the offal dishes at Babbo; that killer bone-in New York strip at Minetta Tavern; the oyster pan roast at the John Dory . . .
Old Jun 1, 2009, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
They do meat there very well! Good, simple, local food.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A bit late to the thread but I had dinner with my husband there about six months ago. I don't specifically recall the dishes but I remember absolutely loving almost everything and thinking that the wine pairings were very well done.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by StudentExplorer
Been there twice. Focus is on locally grown and in season food. I was last there last summer. Think simple dishes like grape tomatoes served on a pin rack as an amuse. It's been some time, so I can't remember all the dishes I had, but the main was lamb. Some of the best lamb I have ever had. The experience at Blue Hill was everything that I had expected to have at Chez Panisse (but ended up being very dissapointed with).

I hear Blue Hill at Stone Barnes (up on the farm) is even better.
The Stone Barn in Tarrytown is phenomenal. I have the misfortune (Phenomenal=ungodly expensive...) of living right down the road, and it tempts me constantly.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was the farm location featured on Top Chef last season?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dugernaut
Was the farm location featured on Top Chef last season?
Yes.
Old May 15, 2011, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Absolutely phenomenal.

Be sure to get the daily egg dish... I had the duck egg and the yolk was amazing. Great restaurant.
Old May 16, 2011, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Absolutely phenomenal.

Be sure to get the daily egg dish... I had the duck egg and the yolk was amazing. Great restaurant.
You. Eat. Well.

<eom>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.