Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Need decent Manhattan hotel <$200 with ensuite bathroom.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need decent Manhattan hotel <$200 with ensuite bathroom.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2008, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by craz
Yep thats what Us True NYers call it, or at least those of Us who at 1 time or another drove a Yellow or Radio Car.

The 3 East River Bridges were called The BB (Brooklyn B), The Willy B (Willamsburg B) and the Manny B by many

I learned something today, "Manny". I drove Yellow, years ago (still have my hack license), never heard the term Manny, the term "the city" for Manhattan, all the time, & Of the 3 B's the only one I ever abbreviated was "Willy". But then again I'm from Queens, so I still call the Queensboro Bridge, the Queensboro instead of the short term (59th st. bridge).
Old Jul 12, 2008, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by nytango
sorry I think I am a true ny'r having been born here a very long time ago. No one from manhattan ever called it manny and it has been a very long time since a true ny'er drove a cab here.
It's true, it's been awhile since a native drove a cab / car service in NY. But I am one, born in Manhattan, grew up in LIC, then Flushing, Queens (you know one of the outer boro's) and never heard that phrase, neither in my professional yellow cab driving life or anytime either. But I guess some people use the phrase (just not me..........)
Old Jul 12, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: DL, B6
Try the East Houston Hotel (www.hoteleasthouston.com) on E. Houston @ 1st Ave. in the LES; its a boutique that just opened in the style of the Rivington Hotel, etc.. I am staying there for $199 on Monday through a booking on their website; free breakfast included. Oct. weekends might be tough with fashion week, good weather, conferences, etc.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Pricelnie and hotwire are the best bets. The doctrine is that you book a "cancellable backup." That is, now, you book something that's the best balance of prince and convenience you can find. The prior posts are accurate -- you'll pay alot for the pseudoconvenience of being in Manhattan./Manny/whatever you call it . You'll pay less to be in Jersey by the train that's almost as cconvenient as being in the city. It's too early for good inventory to be available on priceline or hotwire. Good inventory may never be available.

You shoud:
1) Book your cancellable backup.
2) keep looking at hotwire for price drops and
2a) keep trying priceline every few days
3) pray that something opens up a few weeks before your stay on priceline
Old Jul 14, 2008, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Smile Thank you for all your input.

We decided to compromise and bid on New Jersey. I bid on the Secaucus/Meadowlands zone on priceline and for 2.5*, there are usually 3 properties. (Courtyard, LaQuinta & Hyatt Place). Anyone of these would be acceptable with Hyatt Place my first choice. Courtyard 2nd & LaQuinta 3rd. I went up to $90 and won the Hyatt Place. I had a $161 fully refundable res at the Hyatt Place which I promptly cancelled after winning this bid. It is approx 20 min bus ride (302 NJ Transit) to the area where I want to be in Manhattan. ^ No carrying my luggage up/down stairs. ^ My first choice was Jersey City (for New Jersey) however, I went to $150 on PL for 3* and nothing. We have some extra $$ to try all the excellent food, etc.

Now the only question is what to do with one larger piece of checked luggage. Any luggage storage places in midtown? I heard that is a place named Schwartz Travel that will store luggage.

Thank you for all your help & suggestions. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.