Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Subway for Dummies / Subway 101

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 2:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
hopstop.com is another great source of point to point bus and subway directions in New York.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: Continental, Starwoods, Intercontinental, Marriott
subway

I would also recommend hopstop.com there is an app for iphone as well.
There are also apps for the subway that you can download.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
The problem with the subways is you need to loop through Manhattan to get to Brooklyn, and as noted above there is not a subway stop at LaGuardia.

Two ways out that I know of. The M60 bus to Astoria Ave and pre-plan your route from there. Or Q33 bus to Roosevelt Center and go from there.

Its kind of an adventure the first time, but is how I've done it for years. But you have to have some idea what you are going to ride because New York just moves fast. Check with the hotel what the closest stop is on what line and train, and work backwards from there. I'm sure the board will help you but we need a bit more information.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:36 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
It's been years since I bought a Metrocard at a Hudson Newsstand at LGA, but I remember they didn't have the denomination I wanted. So I'd go straight to the vending machines and save a few minutes. A metrocard is so very convenient that for four days of running around the city it's hardly worth the time of calculating how many fares you might use. How much are those hop-on/hop-off busses?

Just remember, 18 minutes is the minimum wait between card swipes in the subway or on a single bus route.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Just remember, 18 minutes is the minimum wait between card swipes in the subway.
At the same station, that is.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:05 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
For an unlimited ride card. If you have a pay per ride card you can swipe it up to four times at one station so four people can use it. For the unlimited, each person will need their own card (or you need to wait 18 minutes between each person)
Old May 11, 2010, 11:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I'm resurrecting this thread.

Anyway, I think I'm heading into NYC on Saturday and would like to pull the Adidas Store/Niketown double. I'm not sure if I've ever done it before, though I've thought about it, because the Adidas Store is on Broadway and Houston, and Niketown is at 57th and 5th.

I just went to mta.info and they actually found me direct rides from Grand Central Station to the Adidas Store on the 6 and back uptown to Niketown on the F. Is it really that simple?

Actually, it would be more simple if I remembered where I put any of my MetroCards.
Old May 12, 2010, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
I just went to mta.info and they actually found me direct rides from Grand Central Station to the Adidas Store on the 6 and back uptown to Niketown on the F. Is it really that simple?
I'm not sure what the question is.

Yeah, you can take the 6 from GCT to Soho, and the F back uptown, but you've already looked at the map and figured this out, no?
Old May 12, 2010, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by nerd

Yeah, you can take the 6 from GCT to Soho, and the F back uptown, but you've already looked at the map and figured this out, no?
Whenever using the subway on the weekend, log onto mta.info and check for service changes impacting any of the lines that you want to use. Construction is done on the weekends and the MTA can do some funky things with the lines.
Old May 12, 2010, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Whenever using the subway on the weekend, log onto mta.info and check for service changes impacting any of the lines that you want to use. Construction is done on the weekends and the MTA can do some funky things with the lines.
It's also a good idea to confirm your route on www.hopstop.com, which seems to do a good job incorporating late-night and weekend service changes into its directions (though they did make a mistake last weekend, re-routing uptown pax from the C to the F, when it was actually the downtown C that was running on the F).
Old May 12, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
I'd also recommend "Exit Strategy" if you're an iPhone user so you can ensure you'll be in the closest car to your exit or transfer when you reach your destination. Also great for maps surrounding the stations and a general subway map.

And if you don't have HopStop installed, the built-in Google maps can give you good directions for public transportation. Just tap the bus icon once the directions are entered.
Old May 12, 2010, 12:01 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by MumbaiFlyer
I'd also recommend "Exit Strategy" if you're an iPhone user so you can ensure you'll be in the closest car to your exit or transfer when you reach your destination. Also great for maps surrounding the stations and a general subway map.
Interesting! Current price in the App Store is $3.99, :-::-::-::-:

http://www.exitstrategynyc.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've merged this Subway 101 thread with the older Subway for Dummies thread that was already linked from the sticky as both contain some good general resources.
/Moderator

Last edited by dstan; May 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Old May 12, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Originally Posted by nerd

Yeah, but the thing is, I've always just assumed that since one store is in northern-ish Midtown and the other is in Soho, there would be no direct route. I think it's because in Boston, there would not be a direct route.
Old May 12, 2010, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, but the thing is, I've always just assumed that since one store is in northern-ish Midtown and the other is in Soho, there would be no direct route. I think it's because in Boston, there would not be a direct route.
Makes sense. Manhattan is shaped different than Boston, and there are more subway lines.

Sometimes it works out in your favor. (And the rest of the time, it doesn't. )
Old May 13, 2010, 9:32 pm

We New Yorkers aren't interested in competing with Boston

http://twitter.com/aikank/status/13454908980

"We New Yorkers aren't interested in competing with Boston. We simply CRUSH them!" -MTA CEO Jay Walder #mtadev

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.