Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Parking Options (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Not so much a parking question as a question on options to get to JFK from NorthEast. Assuming you aren't traveling with others (doesn't sound like it)

It sounds like you are debating price vs. well price as train with luggage is as difficult as bus with luggage.
Can I add another option to your list (sounds like no problem for you to get to South Station):
5 - MegaBus (approx $8) 11:59pm departure arrives near Penn Station NY at 4:14am you would have about 2 hrs to get to JFK by 6am which takes about 35-40 minutes via LIRR or even cheaper route via subway (about an hour at that time)

5a -Greyhound (approx $15) 1AM departure arrives Port Authority 5:20am - @ PA get on JFK Airport Shuttle (http://www.nycairporter.com/) which should get you to airport within an hour (going against traffic) for another $16 . Yup cost more to get from NYC-Manhattan to NYC-Queens vs. Boston to NYC.

On the return you do the reverse.
The LIRR does NOT go to JFK, taking the LIRR means going to Jamaica Station and then going down and over to the AirTrain which is another $5 per person each way

Im not sure how frequent the trains run at that hour to Jamaica where just missing 1 may mean having to wait another hr. Also its doable witha carry-on wouldnt want the hassle if Im flying with any checked bags

Dont where the OP is heading but unless its say a 6 hr flight , if they drive all night with the little sleep they get (<6hrs) on the plane = being exhausted when they land. (Ive flown the 6am JFK-LAX/SFO flights many times and stayed up all night and slept the whole way to LAX/SFO and its just not the same as having slept in areg bed btw Im usually in Biz on UAs ps)

Although I like #5s pricing I wouldnt go with it and would go with Greyhound instead, alot easier simply putting the bags under the bus and not having to schelp them up and down any stairs etc etc

I like the Park N Fly best and getting a reg nights sleep in a bed, when returning Id drive either all the way to BOS or to some place in CT and check in for the night. If the rates are thru the roof, then Greyhound it would be
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:28 pm

JFK Airtrain & Long term parking?

Thinking about using the long-term parking lot at JFK. It looks like after parking you use the Airtrain to get to your terminal, and there appear to be two Airtrain stations within the long-term parking area-- Howard Beach station and Lefferts Blvd station.

I see that there is a cost ($5 pp) to board Airtrain at Howard Beach. Is there also a cost to board at Lefferts Blvd? I can't seem to find anything definitive about that.

It's clear that this long-term parking area is quite large. For those who have had experience parking there-- do you typically have to walk a long way from where you are able to park to get to the Airtrain station? Do they have a shuttle bus in the parking lot that takes you to the station?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:37 pm

I believe there is a shuttle bus that trolls the lot to take folks to the AirTrain, but I don't know how often it runs.

I'm also pretty sure (but not 100% sure) that there's a way to get on the AirTrain at Howard Beach from the long term parking lot without paying the $5 AirTrain charge (the charge is meant for folks transferring from the subway at Howard Beach). You definitely don't pay $5 if you board at Lefferts.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
I believe there is a shuttle bus that trolls the lot to take folks to the AirTrain, but I don't know how often it runs.

I'm also pretty sure (but not 100% sure) that there's a way to get on the AirTrain at Howard Beach from the long term parking lot without paying the $5 AirTrain charge (the charge is meant for folks transferring from the subway at Howard Beach). You definitely don't pay $5 if you board at Lefferts.
That's very helpful. Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:35 am

Decided to try SmartParkJFK-- glad we did. Everything went smoothly. Driver loaded our bags onto the van and immediately drove us to our terminal. When we returned I called after we got our luggage, gave them our claim check number, and was told where to meet the shuttle. Shuttle came on time and our car was waiting for us when we got to the lot.

We were 100% satisfied and will definitely use them again when we travel from JFK.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:21 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The AirTrain is free within the airport (this includes Howard Beach and Lefferts Blvd,); imbedded in the parking fee is free use of the AT.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:46 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
How safe/secure are the remote lots (including the official JFK one)? We've got a 6 day trip out of JFK next month, so not worried about snow, but my wife (who is from that area, but not close enough to park in a friend's street) is adamant that we be in a somewhat secure lot, even if it means parking at the "short term" lots for $33/day.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:57 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
any info on my question?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
any info on my question?
Define safe? As in will your car get broken into or vandalize? Most lots are well secured (even long term) so unless you leave a ton of gadgets in your car or some vandals are attempting to mess up a lot of cars I can't say your chances are higher vs. lower than short term parking (just save money). I would select the lots your are interested in and search for reviews or feedback from other patrons.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Define safe? As in will your car get broken into or vandalize? Most lots are well secured (even long term) so unless you leave a ton of gadgets in your car or some vandals are attempting to mess up a lot of cars I can't say your chances are higher vs. lower than short term parking (just save money). I would select the lots your are interested in and search for reviews or feedback from other patrons.
There won't be gadgets in there, but we'd prefer something that is somewhat locked up. Of course anyone can walk into any garage at the airport and do what they will, but we're concerned more about acres of concrete with no one walking by type situations.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
... but we'd prefer something that is somewhat locked up ... concerned more about acres of concrete with no one walking by type situations.
Not clear about your concerns - personal safety walking from the parking spot to the AirTrain location at long-term/short-term lots? Or, about safety/security of your parked vehicle while away?

The official JFK lots are lighted at night & there are cameras ... They photographed each & every vehicle entering the lot and it's associated with the parking stub, and checked upon exiting to verify payment for length of stay. PANYNJ do provide 24/7 security at its parking lots - I cannot say for sure that they do or do not patrol the acres of spaces on foot whereas I know they do have other measures in place, even for employee parking at remote/satellite lot(s). Their liabilities are limited & spelled out in contract language and posted/on the stub.

Lock the vehicle, remove valuables/leave it at home & take the keys along with the parking stub with you (don't lose it as there will be a penalty fee) - and pick a "good" spot to park for the trip duration. Lastly, relax & have a nice trip.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Not clear about your concerns - personal safety walking from the parking spot to the AirTrain location at long-term/short-term lots? Or, about safety/security of your parked vehicle while away?

The official JFK lots are lighted at night & there are cameras ... They photographed each & every vehicle entering the lot and it's associated with the parking stub, and checked upon exiting to verify payment for length of stay. PANYNJ do provide 24/7 security at its parking lots - I cannot say for sure that they do or do not patrol the acres of spaces on foot whereas I know they do have other measures in place, even for employee parking at remote/satellite lot(s). Their liabilities are limited & spelled out in contract language and posted/on the stub.

Lock the vehicle, remove valuables/leave it at home & take the keys along with the parking stub with you (don't lose it as there will be a penalty fee) - and pick a "good" spot to park for the trip duration. Lastly, relax & have a nice trip.
Not as concerned about personal safety as I am the vehicle's safety, as we arrive and leave in daylight. As I said, my wife is from the area and remembers the bad old days of car thefts, etc. And, although my license plate advertising my affinity to my local (dreadful this year) baseball team often gets me thumbs up in this area, it might cause a local to cast aspersions (or cinderblocks) upon my ride, if they have easy access to the parking area and limited risk to their actions.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:08 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've found that parking near the Howard Beach stop, I have a better chance of getting a space close to the entrance--probably safer than parking a long distance away and using the shuttle bus to get you to the AirTrain. They also have observation booths, which I guess are used to watch the lot from "above"!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond, Carlson Gold, Accor Platinum,
I was hoping to find lots of great deals posted here too and can't believe that with so many cars being parked every day at all three airports this conversation moves so slowly.
EWR is the cheapest out of all three and it's easy to find good Groupon deals, even for around $7 a day. LGA not so much, I'm seeing around $15 a day which kinda seems expensive. Any thoughts? deals?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 2:48 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deemkaa
I was hoping to find lots of great deals posted here too and can't believe that with so many cars being parked every day at all three airports this conversation moves so slowly.
EWR is the cheapest out of all three and it's easy to find good Groupon deals, even for around $7 a day. LGA not so much, I'm seeing around $15 a day which kinda seems expensive. Any thoughts? deals?
Amazon Local in conjunction with SmartparkJFK was running a promo--I'm not sure it is sill being offered (1/2 price...). There are now so many JFK off airport lots, many are reducing their rates due to the competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.