Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Transit time

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO OnePass, NW WorldPerks
EWR Transit time

I'm new to this board, so please bear with me if this isn't the right place to ask this:
We have a trip planned this April to travel from ALB (Albany, NY, USA) to SAN (San Diego, CA, USA) on CO. The switch is in EWR, but the layover is right now listed as 32 minutes (and 28 minutes on the way back). Catch is that the ALB-EWR flight might pull in to Terminal B, and the EWR-SAN flight flies out of Terminal C (verified by CO rep).

Does anyone have experience in switching terminals like this for connections at EWR? I know I'll have to go through security again during the switch. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jandk98
I'm new to this board, so please bear with me if this isn't the right place to ask this:
We have a trip planned this April to travel from ALB (Albany, NY, USA) to SAN (San Diego, CA, USA) on CO. The switch is in EWR, but the layover is right now listed as 32 minutes (and 28 minutes on the way back). Catch is that the ALB-EWR flight might pull in to Terminal B, and the EWR-SAN flight flies out of Terminal C (verified by CO rep).

Does anyone have experience in switching terminals like this for connections at EWR? I know I'll have to go through security again during the switch. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
I'm pretty certain that B to C requires you to take the air-train and go through security again. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I know there is an airside connection bus that goes to Term A from C, if CO has many flights in B-- I'm sure it will stop there as well. If this is the case, you will not have to go through security again. But 28 min on the return SAN-EWR, can be pretty tight, as delays in arrival do occur 'occaisionally . What is the EWR-ALB next flight you can get on ? Are you checking luggage ? With a very tight connection, it may not make it.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:36 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
jandk98, welcome to FlyerTalk! To get even more help for your question, let me move this seamlessly to our New York City area travel forum where questions about the greater N.Y.C area airports are addressed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome

According to the Continental website

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../maps/ewr.aspx

The bus is only between A and C, and even so at under a half hour that's still pretty tight. If you do B to another terminal you will need to leave, catch the train, get to the next terminal, clear security again, etc.

I would see if there is a better connection for you, this is just too tight. Remember, depending on where your seat is on the plane, you could be waiting another 10 or 15 just to get off.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Who is operating the ALB-EWR flight? If it is operated by CO Express (and they are the only carrier I see who does operate ALB-EWR) then you will arrive in terminal C, not terminal B. You will not need to change terminals.

The ERJs are slightly slow to deplane because of gate-checked luggage needing to be removed from the hold and brought back to plane-side (in the jetway for EWR). This will potentially slow you down even if you don't have anything in the hold as the deplaning process will be slowed by those waiting for their bags. And the flights from ALB-EWR are among those likely to be delayed if there are weather issues in EWR, which happen more frequently in the afternoons than mornings.

If it is a morning flight you'll probably make it (though just barely). If it is an afternoon flight your chances go down. I'd be more comfortable with a 1 hour connection in EWR if at all possible.

As to the airside bus it does not stop at terminal B. The only CO planes that arrive at terminal B are some international arrivals during the peak arrival time in the afternoon. Since international arrivals are airside when they clear customs anyways the move from B to C for onward connections isn't such a big deal.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Who is operating the ALB-EWR flight? If it is operated by CO Express (and they are the only carrier I see who does operate ALB-EWR) then you will arrive in terminal C, not terminal B. You will not need to change terminals.

The ERJs are slightly slow to deplane because of gate-checked luggage needing to be removed from the hold and brought back to plane-side (in the jetway for EWR). This will potentially slow you down even if you don't have anything in the hold as the deplaning process will be slowed by those waiting for their bags. And the flights from ALB-EWR are among those likely to be delayed if there are weather issues in EWR, which happen more frequently in the afternoons than mornings.

If it is a morning flight you'll probably make it (though just barely). If it is an afternoon flight your chances go down. I'd be more comfortable with a 1 hour connection in EWR if at all possible.

As to the airside bus it does not stop at terminal B. The only CO planes that arrive at terminal B are some international arrivals during the peak arrival time in the afternoon. Since international arrivals are airside when they clear customs anyways the move from B to C for onward connections isn't such a big deal.
Wow. sbm12, I am impressed with your knowledge; you certainly seem to be one with the EWR! More particulars & more questions:

1. The ALB-EWR leg will be a big-ish prop (DH8) by Colgan Air (d/b/a CO Connection <- is that different than Express?). It's a "new" flight as of Feb 1, replacing an ERJ by ExpressJet (d/b/a CO Express). My events coordinator (aka Wife) called CO/OnePass this AM, and they actually checked with EWR. They said this flight will be arriving at Term C, so 32 minutes should be OK (I agree that 1 hour would be much better). Also, since the connection is for EWR-SAN at 8:10am, there's a high possibility that'll be delayed anyway (although it is a Sunday). The seats are up towards the front of the plane, so maybe people will get out of our way quick!

2. Return flight is a bit trickier. There is actually less time for the connection (<30 minutes), which we were told is actually not possible - CO had to force a change to a much later flight (4+ hr layover). They said we could try standing by if we actually make it for the original connection. Looks like we'll be having dinner at EWR. Best place to eat in Term C = ?

3. Out of curiosity, what if we were to ditch our last leg (EWR-ALB), and rent a car to get home (~3 hour drive). How would that work with checked baggage?

4. The odds of CO's schedule to change between now and then (April) is very high, so this may all be a moot discussion if they delay the departure of the EWR-SAN flight. ALB seems to be very regular, especially in the mornings.

5. Sounds like everything CO comes in to Terminal C, for the most part. Do you know what doesn't? It's been a while since I flew through/out of EWR - I thought I remembered a separate little terminal for commuter-type flights (like ALB-EWR), but I could be thinking of somewhere else...

Thanks for all your input. It helps me feel better about going through one of the busiest airports I can think of!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:18 pm

Way back in the day (~'96 was the last time I used it) there was a commuter terminal at EWR's C terminal. That was what you're probably remembering for the puddle-jumpers. It was demolished and replaced with the new C3 pier that includes Customs/FIS for CO's arriving international flights. (Almost) All the commuter traffic was moved to the middle C2 pier, where the ERJs have jetways rather than having to walk across the tarmac and/or bus like many other airports do. I'm not positive about how they are going to deal with the Q400s, but I would assume the jetways (propways?) will continue to be used. I would not expect the early morning EWR-SAN to be delayed at all, which you allude to in your post.

Your outbound will probably be OK, though the flight will be boarding when you get to the gate and you may be some of the last to board. Your checked luggage should have no trouble making the connection.

You will not be able to get checked luggage back at EWR and just drive home. You might be able to price the ticket out as an ALB-SAN-EWR open-jaw, but I would imagine that would cost more so you'll pay for the privilege of not flying that last segment.

As for CO flights that regularly don't use terminal C, all flights to/from Atlanta, Boston, Chicago (MDW & ORD), Dallas (DFW) and Washington, DC (DCA & IAD) use terminal A. In addition, the Saturday departures to Cancun use Terminal A, or at least they were for a while; that may have discontinued. A number of International flights arrive at Terminal B every day, though I don't remember exactly which ones. There is a thread in the CO forum titled "CO officially using terminal b" or something like that if you're really interested in digging it up. I believe that it was authored by rkkwan.

Good luck with dinner in Terminal C. There is some decent fast food-type stuff (a step up from McD's) in the C3 pier, a food court in C1 (including McD's), a "diner" in C1 and Gallaghers in C3. Gallaghers will draw very, very, very emotional responses if you ask CO flyers about it - there are a few who have made it their mission in life to make sure everyone knows how much they hate the place. But it is also one of the only real restaurants in EWR.

Keep the questions coming if you have any more - I'm happy to keep answering them
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Way back in the day (~'96 was the last time I used it) there was a commuter terminal at EWR's C terminal. That was what you're probably remembering for the puddle-jumpers. It was demolished and replaced with the new C3 pier that includes Customs/FIS for CO's arriving international flights. (Almost) All the commuter traffic was moved to the middle C2 pier, where the ERJs have jetways rather than having to walk across the tarmac and/or bus like many other airports do. I'm not positive about how they are going to deal with the Q400s, but I would assume the jetways (propways?) will continue to be used. I would not expect the early morning EWR-SAN to be delayed at all, which you allude to in your post.

Your outbound will probably be OK, though the flight will be boarding when you get to the gate and you may be some of the last to board. Your checked luggage should have no trouble making the connection.

You will not be able to get checked luggage back at EWR and just drive home. You might be able to price the ticket out as an ALB-SAN-EWR open-jaw, but I would imagine that would cost more so you'll pay for the privilege of not flying that last segment.

As for CO flights that regularly don't use terminal C, all flights to/from Atlanta, Boston, Chicago (MDW & ORD), Dallas (DFW) and Washington, DC (DCA & IAD) use terminal A. In addition, the Saturday departures to Cancun use Terminal A, or at least they were for a while; that may have discontinued. A number of International flights arrive at Terminal B every day, though I don't remember exactly which ones. There is a thread in the CO forum titled "CO officially using terminal b" or something like that if you're really interested in digging it up. I believe that it was authored by rkkwan.

Good luck with dinner in Terminal C. There is some decent fast food-type stuff (a step up from McD's) in the C3 pier, a food court in C1 (including McD's), a "diner" in C1 and Gallaghers in C3. Gallaghers will draw very, very, very emotional responses if you ask CO flyers about it - there are a few who have made it their mission in life to make sure everyone knows how much they hate the place. But it is also one of the only real restaurants in EWR.

Keep the questions coming if you have any more - I'm happy to keep answering them
Thanks, again!
I'm almost certain that the old commuter terminal is what I'm remembering - I lived within < 1 hour driving distance to EWR from '98 to 2000, and flew out of EWR regularly on CO. Haven't been back since (except maybe a connection once). Sounds like we'll be in Term C for all exchanges now, though. Do you think there's any chance they'll sneak any of my flight legs into Term A (aside from a serious problem, of course)?

Also, any thoughts on where long distance domestic CO flights leave from C? I suppose I can ask CO that question - a question they might be able to handle... We're headed to SAN - would that be down C1? If so, I'm assuming that you can pass between piers without going through security. Right?

Finally, thanks for the food tips. I was kind of hoping there were a couple sit-down options, like there are at ATL...

If I may ask: you seem to know a great deal about CO at EWR... Do you work there?

Thanks for all your input - so glad I found this forum!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Also, any thoughts on where long distance domestic CO flights leave from C? I suppose I can ask CO that question - a question they might be able to handle... We're headed to SAN - would that be down C1? If so, I'm assuming that you can pass between piers without going through security. Right?
Start plugging your flights into the flight status every day and you will see a pattern of gates if there is going to be one.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by jandk98
Sounds like we'll be in Term C for all exchanges now, though. Do you think there's any chance they'll sneak any of my flight legs into Term A (aside from a serious problem, of course)?

If I may ask: you seem to know a great deal about CO at EWR... Do you work there?
I'm not an employee, just a relatively frequent passenger. After going in and our of EWR 20+ times a year you start to notice the little things, like where the restaurants are Come on over to the Continental Forum if you really want to immerse yourself in the nuance and crazy that is CO fandom.

The chances of your flights operating to/from terminal A are as close to zero as they can get without actually being there. I cannot think of any reason or circumstance where it would happen, but I'll never say never. The SAN flight could arrive and depart out of C1 or C3 - there isn't much rhyme or reason to why they do what they do for those departures. The flight is on a 737, so it can fit at pretty much any gate, unlike some of the wide-bodies that can only use certain gates. You'll be inside security the whole time at EWR, so no worries there. From the farthest gate in C2 to the farthest gate in C1 or C3 should be no more than 10-15 minutes, though less if you're impared by luggage or a bum knee.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:13 am

Hello people

I'm sorry but I'm going to briefly hi-jack this thread (stick 'em up ).

I am in the process of doing some trip planning. I did however reach a small hic-up planning my return journey. I am planning on flying into EWR on Sunday, May 18th, aboard SQ 022, which should arrive at 5:50pm at Terminal B. I would then be catching a connecting flight back to Canada (Ottawa specifically).

This is where my problem is, I am torn between the following three choices (on a separate ticket from my SQ one):

1. 7:30pm departure to Montreal on an AC/QK flight (Terminal A)
2. 7:40pm departure to Toronto on an AC flight (Terminal A)
3. 8:00pm departure to Ottawa on a CO/XE flight (Terminal C)

What I am worried about is whether or not I will make my connecting flight. As I will be travelling with a Canadian passport, when I arrive back to EWR, I will assume that I will have to go to the foreign passport line at customs/immigration (which of course could add a lot of time).

Ultimately I would love to fly on choices 1 or 2 as I could get points towards my Aeroplan account, but if it is not a good idea, so be it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Last edited by yowstudent; Jan 24, 2008 at 6:43 am
Old Jan 24, 2008, 7:19 am

I'm not sure what the line is like at customs at that time, but most of the international arrivals should be completed earlier in the afternoon, so you shouldn't be competing for agent time with a lot of other flights. That being said, the flight to where you're actually going isn't much later than the others and it is only 500 miles that you're talking about (plus elite bonus, etc.). Given those numbers I'd take the flight to where I actually want to be rather than the miles plus drive.

If you're on a single itinerary where you'll be checked in all the way through, or if you can do online check in prior to the SIN-EWR departure you'll likely be OK for any of the three (though not a ton of leeway on the earlier two). If you would have to check in on arrival in EWR you may have issues due to the 60-minute cut-off for check in.

S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.