Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empire State Building (ESB) vs. Top of the Rock

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
+1 for Top of the Rock

Last edited by RooseveltL; Jun 26, 2012 at 10:37 am Reason: spell out abbreviation
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:13 am

Here's another vote for the Top of the Rock. Generally, the daytime views from Top of the Rock are better because you can see Central Park (which is a black space at night), and the views at night are better from the Empire State Building (especially of the Chrysler Building). However, the waiting time is awful at the Empire State Bldg., the staff isn't the most pleasant, and they try to upsell you for the Skyride, which is a complete waste of time and money.

There are combination tickets for Top of the Rock and the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), and they sell a Sunrise/Sunset ticket that allows two entries. Here's their special offers page:

http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/speci...combo-tickets/
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Top of The Rock vs Empire State Building

Thanks everyone for the great advice .. Decided to do TOTR . Purchased Sunrise/Sunset and the tour as well.. Looking forward to it.. Now need to find a great app for the NYC subway system
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flyiboy
Thanks everyone for the great advice .. Decided to do TOTR . Purchased Sunrise/Sunset and the tour as well.. Looking forward to it.. Now need to find a great app for the NYC subway system
Get a free map from any subway station. Done.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Top of The Rock vs Empire State Building

True.. I know I should go green but I'm addicted to technology
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:05 pm

True.. I know I should go green but I'm addicted to technology
I would think that going app is green as you're not contributing to trash or tree felling. BTW there are a bunch of suggestions in your other thread which are all fine. Embark probably has the most up to date timing info though.

PS: One thing that isn't mentioned as being a plus for TOTR is that from TOTR you can see the ESB.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:20 pm

Many visitors seem to want to "meet the locals," and the best way to do that is to open a map on the street (be sure to step to the side!). You'll be surprised how quickly a New Yorker (or several) will ask if you need help or directions. Same with the subway. Instead of relying on a phone app, just ask whoever happens to be standing next to you.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Spaghetti
Many visitors seem to want to "meet the locals," and the best way to do that is to open a map on the street (be sure to step to the side!). You'll be surprised how quickly a New Yorker (or several) will ask if you need help or directions. Same with the subway. Instead of relying on a phone app, just ask whoever happens to be standing next to you.
Yup!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:05 pm

As a lifelong NYer, I just went to Top of the Rock for the first time yesterday (with visitors from France ) and I have to say it's light years better than the ESB. First and foremost is that you get that great view of the ESB. (The view of the Chrysler Building, however, is obstructed by the MetLife Building from this view).

The lines are smaller and the interior wait area is much nicer than the ESB. (Employees were friendlier, too.) The elevator ride up is very cool with a glass ceiling and 'light show' as you ascend.

Top of the Rock has 3 viewing levels and you can get great photos from all angles. They also offered a AAA discount. I would do this over ESB any day.

Have a great visit.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I like itrans NYC app.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spoiler Alert!!!
Originally Posted by flyerwife
the elevator ride up is very cool with a glass ceiling and 'light show' as you ascend.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 6:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Spaghetti
Many visitors seem to want to "meet the locals," ....
As a Flyertalker, I've met a few locals just by participating here, then letting them know when I'm in town.

And like I've done in London, I swam with a masters swim group last night. Everyone was happy to meet me, and surprised that I'd take some time from my vacation to workout. I do this nearly everywhere I travel, so I come prepared with answers to all the questions--they're nearly the same questions no matter where.

I even got the chance to walk back to the subway with 2 gals, one was on the same subway and made sure I got to the stop I wanted.

When I was a kid and would come into the city, it seemed that everyone had a thick New York accent. On this trip, I've hardly heard any.

And thanks for the tips on Top of the Rock. I've been to the Empire State Building several times, but never TOTR. Looking like we'll do that ^
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:27 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I have done a search of this and the only thing I found was back in 2008..
Which one is better for the value for 1 adult and 1 senior TOTR or ESB? Which has better views? Better customer service ?? Etc...
We are 2 swedes visiting for 2 days..
The OP very correctly searched and, finding only an older thread, started a new one. ^ However, since the information in our existing thread, which is linked from the Sticky, remains current and consistent with sentiments expressed herein, I've gone ahead and merged it in.

/Moderator
Old Jul 1, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by aztimm

When I was a kid and would come into the city, it seemed that everyone had a thick New York accent. On this trip, I've hardly heard any.

If you want to hear what is commonly denominated as a "New York accent" you might have better luck on the Jersey Shore.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Just want to add my 2 cents that Top of the Rock was preferable to Empire State Building. Especially with the joint ticket with the NBC Studio Tour.
Was great at night, being able to see ESB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.