Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empire State Building (ESB) vs. Top of the Rock

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by upperdeckplease
The conversation went like this.

Guard: 'See that sticking up on the horizon?' (it was definitely more than JFK x 2 away, over the water a long way)
Me: yes
Guard: 'That's the very top of the Trump Tower in Atlantic City'
Me: You're kidding
Guard: 'I don't lie'
I suppose it might be possible. According to this calculator, from 1000 feet above sea level you would be able to see something 525 feet above sea level (the tallest building in AC is 160m) up to 95 miles away. Still seems highly unlikely, though.

I wonder if it was the lighthouse in Sandy Hook or something?
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Speaking of lighthouses, I would want to be shown the Barnegat Lighthouse first before anyone convinced me that AC was also visible. Barnegat Light is a good sized lighthouse on the northern tip of Long Beach Island. I'm having a hard time believing that one can see LBI from the ESB. At that rate, why not tell visitors that they can see the Philly skyline.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I can see Russia from my house.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Thumbs up

Recommend getting tickets for Top of the Rock for about 30 min before sunset. We were there last week and saw a beautiful view of the city, a gorgeous sunset, and the lights of the various buildings, within a 90-minute span. If it gets too cold outside, there is an enclosure with a light display. There is also an interesting historical display in the lobby, but allow additional time before going upstairs if you want to read the details.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:03 pm

I want to second (third? quadruple?) the opinions expressed in this thread. ESP is a nightmare, top of the rock a bliss. Let it be said, loud and clear: you can buy your ticket in advance, for a preset time. Meaning at that time, you walk directly to the elevator, and up to the top. No wait.

It's usually impossible to convince a tourist not to do the ESB, believe me I tried. If it happened again, I think I would pay a friend rather than following him to the 86th floor.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:28 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by stevenshev
I had to take a foreign friend there last year who was in New York for the first time. Let me explain to you how the psyche of Steven works: impatience trumps cheapness, which, in turn, trumps laziness. So we (read: I) paid the $70 pp for the queue-jumper tickets. The entire process took <5 min from entry to the top, and even less for the way down. Bloody brilliant.
So if I was to take my 84 yo mom there on her first visit to NYC, using the 'steven rule', then it wouldn't be too onerous?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Even with the queue-jumping surcharge paid, I would say ESB is too onerous for an 84-year-old mum. You're still on your feet for a long time, and in tight, confined spaces crowded with other people. I think the Top of the Rock experience at sunset described above, accessed via a timed ticket, would be much more congenial.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:18 pm

Programs: CO Plat Lifetime, Million Miler
The Rock

Originally Posted by beckoa
Second on the thanks for posting... no clue about the "fee" to go up...

Heading to NY next month (first trip) with a friend and going to spend a Saturday in the city. To get a good view, is "The Rock" the best deal, as described in this thread, or is another structure better?

Thanks again!
By all means, do the Rock. You go up the North and look that way then cross to the South side to look and go back down. Crossing through, you have a great experience with public inter-active art! (Disclaimer - my son designed and created the art effect!)
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:30 pm

My kids and I had a 6 hr layover at JFK so we checked our bags (which we never do) and took the long island railway to penn street station and then headed to the ESB. We stood in line forever, made it to the top, took 10 minutes to look around and take pictures and then started our decent and headed back to JFK. We go there just in time.

It took 6 hrs to get from the airport to the top of the Empire State Building and back!

Next time we'll do the Rock.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:31 am

Programs: LH SEN since 2007
I did the ESB several times in the 90s and hated it each time (way to cramped, even then) will be heading back with my wife in December and the rock sounds like the perfect alternative. Thanks for this!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 4:13 am

Programs: AA, QFF eternally Bronze. Accor Advantage Gold
I decided to do the ESB on my first trip to NY In sep just gone. I bought one of the citysaver passes knowing full well that there would be a line and the the pass gives me queue jumping.
I got there on a monday around 11am and there was barely a line. That being said as we were deposited on the 80th floor we were required to walk up the remaining 6 floors as they were reserving the lift for disabled people. I was ok with that and quite frankly needed the exercise anyway.
View was amazing and I got some great photos. I was happy that I had still saved some money too on the admission price with the pass.
I think much of the problem is the current state of the renovations tied in with the popularity of the site. Sure is a tourist trap but many places are. And with no WTC anymore to climb up it is the natural attraction for most. All in all if you can handle the wait and understand why its not that bad. |I waited twice as long to get up the CN tower in toronto and was still thoroughly satisfied.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OzinUK
...we were deposited on the 80th floor we were required to walk up the remaining 6 floors as they were reserving the lift for disabled people. I was ok with that...
I think very many people would not be OK with that.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
The Rock

As many people have written in this thread, I strongly suggest The Top of the Rock. Customer service is way better than ESB. Also, it is one single charge for going all the way to the top. Lines are quicker and better organized. Also, the map that shows the landmarks is $2 at the Rock as opposed to $8 in ESB.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snod08
As many people have written in this thread, I strongly suggest The Top of the Rock. Customer service is way better than ESB. Also, it is one single charge for going all the way to the top. Lines are quicker and better organized. Also, the map that shows the landmarks is $2 at the Rock as opposed to $8 in ESB.
What are ticket prices for TotR?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
IIRC, many years ago it was free (or almost) to go to the observation deck on the ESB. However, it cost to ride the elevator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.