Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what to do on a Friday night?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2004, 9:25 am
Original Poster

what to do on a Friday night?

I know, I know... there's tons to do on a Friday night in Manhattan.

My fiance has never been to New York, so I'm surprising him with a birthday trip. We probably won't get checked into the hotel at about 9:30 PM or so, but we will want to get out and gt a little taste of the city, even if we're not night club kind of people (or at least I'm not).

Should we just go to Times Square... people watch... grab dinner wherever we find it?

Any better ideas?
Old Jun 7, 2004, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by doubleflyaway
My fiance has never been to New York, so I'm surprising him with a birthday trip. We probably won't get checked into the hotel at about 9:30 PM or so, but we will want to get out and gt a little taste of the city, even if we're not night club kind of people (or at least I'm not).

Should we just go to Times Square... people watch... grab dinner wherever we find it?

Any better ideas?
See how she feels. Go out for a bit to eat, find a cozy bar in which to enjoy each other's company, or just wing it.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:36 am

How about taking in a Broadway play? You can get half price tix in Times Square at TKTS.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Times Sq is fun for people watching. It's pretty intense. Instead, why don't you walk around Little Italy / Chinatown (1 block apart).
These are fun neighborhoods with lots of New York charm and character. There are plenty of good places to eat. Little Italy has plenty of good places to snack too!

SOHO is a bit north (maybe 15 minute walk). This is where there are some trendy shops. Some of the side streets are still paved with cobblestones.

Walk over to 30 Rock (Rockefeller Center is between 5th and 6th Ave - 49th and 50th Street. Plenty to look at there. Central Parks southern boundary is 57th Street. Try going to the Plaza Hotel on 5th Ave and 57th Street. Nice place to have a drink.

By the way, where are you staying?
Old Jun 7, 2004, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

9:30pm arrival is too late for theatre. Two sources I use for stuff to do: the magazine "Time Out New York" and http://www.craigslist.org
Old Jun 8, 2004, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Cool... thanks for the ideas, guys!

We don't know where we're staying yet. I know the Embassy Suites isn't in the touristy part of Manhattan, but I'm considering it, as I've found a good price, and it gets good reviews.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 9:41 am

I wish people on FT would stop staying there. It's much less convenient than other hotels, unless you're headed for the WFC neighborhood. It's really worth throwing down an extra few bucks to be in a more interesting part of town.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Dinner at Balthazar. They are open late, outstanding food, reasonably priced for the quality and a bit of a scene on a Friday night. Heck, any night really.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Dinner at Balthazar. They are open late, outstanding food, reasonably priced for the quality and a bit of a scene on a Friday night. Heck, any night really.
I like Pastis better - same idea, but you go north instead of east.

Both are awesome, though.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 3:30 pm

Cool

Travelzoo has some pretty descent lodging deals in NYC.
We are headed there for a couple of days in July and picked up the Clarion on 5th Ave Queen room for $115/night. Tripadvisor "reviews" loves the location and we were going to spend almost double that before I came across this deal. BTW anybody know where I can pick up some Mamma Mia tickets for a Sunday night show? I know about TKTS but that is a crapshoot on what's available that day.!!

thanks for any input!
Old Jun 9, 2004, 6:23 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
For discounted theater tickets, go to www.broadwaybox.com. They will provide a code for all shows that offer discounts. You can order in advance, no problem. Just be sure to read the restrictions carefully....certain dates, etc.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Marysunshine
For discounted theater tickets, go to www.broadwaybox.com. They will provide a code for all shows that offer discounts. You can order in advance, no problem. Just be sure to read the restrictions carefully....certain dates, etc.

Yes, but they are looking for something to do after 9:30. That sort of leaves theatre out, well, maybe they could enjoy a good second act
Old Jun 9, 2004, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by JeremyZ
I like Pastis better - same idea, but you go north instead of east.

Both are awesome, though.

I cant believe I havent tried Pastis yet. I have heard nothing but good things about it as well. I guess Im usually around more downtown. In any case, Im sure either would provide a great late dinner in New York on a Friday night. Actually, 9:30 isnt that late for a Friday dinner, lots of places are open that time, even fairly high end places like, say Picholine. Im not sure about Pastis but I think Balthazar serves its full menu until 11 or 12, then a somewhat reduced menu after that. Even the late menu has plenty of choices though. There is also a bar there, integrated with the dining room which will be packed on a Friday night.

Another one I would recommend for late dinner, although maybe not for a first time visitor (its a little tougher to get to) is Schillers Liqour Bar which is a restaurant as well.

The ultimate late dinner in NY is possibly Fanellis. Best burger in town until 4 AM when the bar closes.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 7:24 am

GadgetFreak - go to Pastis immediately.

It's probably a little more "country" to Balthazar's "city," but it's equally as good. Kinda past the white-hot days, so it has a little neighborhood vibe. Feels like Odeon's somewhat cooler little sister.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 3:51 pm

More Interesting Locale At Night

I will enthusiastically second the recommendation for Balthazar for the food but I will admit that the area around Pastis is more interesting and lively at that time of night on a Friday. The meat-packing district is just hipster heaven these days -- too much hipness for an old codger like me -- but if you want someplace to walk around and get a bit of the NYC nightlife, Pastis is a good starting point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.