what to do on a Friday night?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what to do on a Friday night?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:14 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okey dokey, I am going to have this similar problem, but I'm going to have it next Thursday night. We are eating dinner with a friend and they will probably pick a restaurant someplace on the east side in the 60s. Where can we go after that for either some interesting comedy or an interesting crowd, given that I am too old to wait in line behind a velvet rope (but don't mind hopping into a cab to get there)?
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Okey dokey, I am going to have this similar problem, but I'm going to have it next Thursday night. We are eating dinner with a friend and they will probably pick a restaurant someplace on the east side in the 60s. Where can we go after that for either some interesting comedy or an interesting crowd, given that I am too old to wait in line behind a velvet rope (but don't mind hopping into a cab to get there)?
If you have a say on the restaurant, I would highly recommend Maya which is on 1st avenue and 64th (1191 1st ave.). It is a great Mexican place. If you want comedy, Dangerfield's comedy club is at 1118 1st ave. and Comic Strip Live is at 1568 2nd ave.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
If you like Jazz, go to a jazz club. Check Time Out or NY Magazine for listings.

If you'd like something, head for dinner to Little Korea, East 32nd St between 5th Ave and Broadway. Many restaurants are open 24 hours (my personal favorites for barbeque include Kum Gang Sang and Kang Suh).

If you have a Palm or Pocket PC, I highly recommend using Vindigo for giving names of places by distance from a particular location as well as directions for both public transportation and walking.

If you want a late night place which is less "hip" but still fun, there are many restaurants & hotels which have nice bars. Don't known if it is your taste, but Le Cirque 2000 bar gives you a sense of the main place and you can just have coffee, drinks, and/or dessert.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 9:15 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the suggestions so far -- any more? I certainly know Le Cirque since it is in my hotel (and I have eaten there too)!
Old Jun 14, 2004, 2:56 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Honestly, just get out and walk. The bars in NY don't close until 4:00am so you'll be able to find plenty of things to do.

7th Ave. South area around Christopher St. is full of upscale restuarants, Jazz clubs and bars, Piano Bars, Karaoke Bars and regular bars.

The East Village, while a bit funky has a nice collection of Lounges and Bars - 1st Avenue - Avenue A from Houston up to St. Marks (8th Street) is the most lively.

Don't discount 9th Ave (Clinton/Hell's Kitchen area) in the upper 40's and lower 50's either for lounges and bars.

If you do plan to stay at the ES in Battery Park City, you can walk into Tribeca where you'll find... you guessed it - more bars and restaurants.

Enjoy your trip to my city.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 10:46 am

Its NYC, so do whatever you might like that evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.