Wiki Posts
Search

Jackets a "necessity" at dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2003, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, 1MM; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
Jackets a "necessity" at dinner?

I'm trying to find the perfect romantic restuarant in New York to celebrate our 10th anniversary, and I've noticed most of the places classified as "romantic" in Zagat also say jacket required. Is the jacket still an expectation in New York? (forgive my much more casual L.A. perspective

Specifically I was looking at One If By Land, Two If By Sea. I don't mind wearing a jacket...but just want to know how formal I should expect things.

Haven't been to New York in 10 years, and then I was only 19 so this sort of thing didn't matter then (when my tastes were a little less refined!)

Thanks for the help--
WNLuvr
Old Sep 22, 2003, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Most restaurants have gone casual unfortunately (IMHO) but if you are unsure, just call the restaurant beforehand. Since it is your 10th anniversary, why not wear the jacket as a token of the romance to take place that evening.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I hope Im not too late, but here goes...
I have seen people without jackets at some very formal, high-end places (Le Bernadin comes to mind) but not at all frequently. There are probably a few places that wouldnt let you in, but not many. However, if you go to a place where they say jackets required/recommended everyone or certainly almost everyone will be wearing them. If you arent you might feel a little out of place. Im not familiar with that particular restaurant so I cant help out with that.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
To WNLuvr,

Most high end romantic restaurants in NYC will ask men to wear jackets.
However, my personal observation is that places below 14th Street, are a lot less strict about the policy.
One if by Land, TIBS is definitely a jacket optional place. However, you should dress up a bit to at least "upscale casual" and not "LA Casual".
Old Nov 4, 2003, 10:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MollyNYC:
However, my personal observation is that places below 14th Street, are a lot less strict about the policy.</font>
Welcome to FT Molly!

I think restaurants on both the UWS & the UES also have gone casual as well. With the way the city is now, if you're willing to dine out expensively, they'll accept you in your pajamas.

Old Nov 16, 2003, 3:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MollyNYC:
However, you should dress up a bit to at least "upscale casual" and not "LA Casual".</font>
WTH is "LA Casual?" By your definition, that is ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.