Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Patrick's Day Parade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2003, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

St. Patrick's Day Parade

If you're doing business in Manhattan Monday, be aware that the St. Patrick's Day parade clogs Fifth Avenue north of 42nd Street starting at about 11 a.m. I, of course, have an 11:30 a.m. date on one side of the parade route and a 1:15 p.m. appointment on the other side. There's good news, however. Temps are forecast in the low 60s.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 6:44 am

Programs: Level 5 Kayaker
Isn't this the most dreaded day of the year in NYC?

[rant]There's no good reason for this parade to be held on a weekday. Why can't it be held on the weekend just like all the other parades celebrating the contributions of various immigrant groups that are part of NYC's delightful melting pot. (N.B. Many of those parades also celebrate specific days -- Kosciuszko's birthday, Greek Independence Day, etc. -- but are held on the weekend rather than the exact day. This year's St. Patty's Day parade could have been held yesterday, allowing more people to attend.) And the same goes for the only other parade held on weekdays: the Columbus Day parade.[/rant]
Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Parade-goers enjoyed sunshine and highs of 73 degrees along Fifth Avenue. Fifth, Madison and Sixth were mob scenes in the 40s.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Y_me?:
Isn't this the most dreaded day of the year in NYC?

[rant]There's no good reason for this parade to be held on a weekday. Why can't it be held on the weekend just like all the other parades celebrating the contributions of various immigrant groups that are part of NYC's delightful melting pot. (N.B. Many of those parades also celebrate specific days -- Kosciuszko's birthday, Greek Independence Day, etc. -- but are held on the weekend rather than the exact day. This year's St. Patty's Day parade could have been held yesterday, allowing more people to attend.) And the same goes for the only other parade held on weekdays: the Columbus Day parade.[/rant]
</font>
Not for me. The worst for me is the Puerto Rican Day parade. More parades should be held in winter as it usually calms down the masses. Yesterday's unusual temps are the exception.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Silver
Analise -- you beat me to it. The PR Day
Parade is so notorious that there was a Seinfeld episode about it. My apt. in NYC was at 87th/3rd or a block away from the official parade route end (actually for most parades). The noise, cars with blaring music, trash, etc. goes on well into the night despite a 10:00 a.m. or 12:00 a.m. start time (in fact the funniest part of the Seinfeld episode was that Elane wanted to get home for "60 Minutes" but was still stuck in the parade-- very inside to know that the parade never ends). I recall going out to run the next morning one year and there was a pizza box with 5 plates around it on my sidewalk -- folks just walked away from the picnic leaving the trash where it was. I was amazed.

Given that 5th Ave. buildings actually cover their shrubs and board their windows for the PR Day Parade -- I think it wins the annual Most Dreaded Day hands down.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 6:05 am

Programs: Level 5 Kayaker
Yeah, you have me on that one: The PR Day parade bites big time.

I agree about the noise and the party-never-ends attitude. One year, I got stuck in PR Day traffic for hours returning from a weekend camping trip -- and, of course, it was one of those in which it rains the entire time, everything is wet and muddy, everyone is grumpy.

I have a friend who once worked as a security guard at the Met, and as a newbie he got the dreaded assignment to keep people from sitting on the step during the PR Day parade. The next year, he called in sick on that day.

And while we're bashing holidays, what's with the July 4th tradition of setting off fireworks starting a week before the 4th and lasting a week after the 4th???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.