Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK T8 security is a nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

JFK T8 security is a nightmare

Last week I arrived on BA173 travelling First. Was second off the aircraft heading towards security. There were two lines at security and I joined one and over the next 15/20 minutes moved quite close to the desks. Then a TSA agent directed me and a number of people I'd been in First with and some others to join a different, even longer line. It took another 40 minutes to clear security and I saw people who were a lot further back in the original queue clear it 20 minutes before me! It meant priority disembarkation meant absolutely nothing. Utter chaos.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Security? Or immigration?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Since when did you have to clear security on arrival?

I assume you mean immigration? Which would mean the CBP, not the TSA.

Global Entry is your friend, if you’re eligible.
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12

Or MPC which was faster than GE when I last went through JFK.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12

Yes. Arrived on BA 175 last week and took 3 minutes going through GE.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Unfortunately immigration is something that BA have no control over. You were just unlucky. However, as others have said, GE or MPC are your friends.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:25 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
I sometimes get in the wrong queue with my Nectar card in Sainsbury's....seriously that's the lottery of all immigration queues, just because you flew in first means nothing....I have flown in economy and got through quickly because I knew where I was going and also got lucky. You all will have got the same cheerful greeting by CBP
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Yep, hard to not justify the spend on GE - I was through within 2 minutes last night vs. a line at least 150 people deep greeting the rest of the BA113 passengers while the CBP agents did their usual lazy meander around the immigration hall to decide if they fancied working their shift or not.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’d second Global Entry. Been banging on to friends for a long while, they did it last week, got their codes and were approved in a handful of days. Will do interview on arrival at LAX in a fortnight. Then we can travel together again
Mekko likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
So you flew into JFK over spring break and it was busy - frustrating but nothing to do with BA unfortunately.

M
armouredant likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by wrp96
Security? Or immigration?
I'm guessing the OP is referring to connecting at JFK and going through security with the TSA after arrival while staying airside. I could be wrong of course. It would be helpful if the OP would clarify.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:27 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by BWBriscoe
Last week I arrived on BA173 travelling First. Was second off the aircraft heading towards security. There were two lines at security and I joined one and over the next 15/20 minutes moved quite close to the desks. Then a TSA agent directed me and a number of people I'd been in First with and some others to join a different, even longer line. It took another 40 minutes to clear security and I saw people who were a lot further back in the original queue clear it 20 minutes before me! It meant priority disembarkation meant absolutely nothing. Utter chaos.
'Twas ever thus.

Well over an hour in an immigration line in my last two BA JFK arrivals in F within the last 6 months, both of them arriving just after a Qatar DOH arrival. The demand swapping of lines by barking operatives is all part of the First "experience" if you don't have Global Entry, US passport, or green card.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I’d second Global Entry. Been banging on to friends for a long while, they did it last week, got their codes and were approved in a handful of days. Will do interview on arrival at LAX in a fortnight. Then we can travel together again
Any idea how long the GE interview process is likely to take? I’m into T8 in Oct with 3hr 30min connection for flight to LAX. Wondering if I apply if that is long enough. Travelling HBO.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by higham44
Any idea how long the GE interview process is likely to take? I’m into T8 in Oct with 3hr 30min connection for flight to LAX. Wondering if I apply if that is long enough. Travelling HBO.
See this thread:
​​​​​​Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:28 am

If eligible the US passport app works wonders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.