Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

What has changed in New York City since February 2020?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

It's been four years since I was in NYC. I'm sure a lot has changed. What has changed over the last four years in terms of tourist attractions and transportation (i.e. subway)? I think OMNY is now all over NYC? Can I use Apple Pay to go from EWR/JFK/LGA straight into Manhattan? Is it still possible to buy a weekly pass? If not, are trips capped after spending a certain amount? My plan is to eat and maybe shop.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Subway is less crowded. Tap-to-pay at all turnstiles. Weekly fare cap after 12 rides. Tourists are back. Attractions are open. Midtown is quieter with fewer office workers. Retail is still struggling (though this started pre-pandemic). Uglyass dining sheds on the streets.

Some things have changed but most of the day-to-day is back to normal despite what people who haven't visited in years might tell you.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
Subway is less crowded. Tap-to-pay at all turnstiles. Weekly fare cap after 12 rides. Tourists are back. Attractions are open. Midtown is quieter with fewer office workers. Retail is still struggling (though this started pre-pandemic). Uglyass dining sheds on the streets.

Some things have changed but most of the day-to-day is back to normal despite what people who haven't visited in years might tell you.
In other words, you're saying that after 12 rides, defined as going from point A to B as one, then it'll be free for the remainder of the week? If so, how do I know the start and end dates?

No subway expansion since?

No new tourist attractions?

No discount on subway using OMNY card vs Apple Pay?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:59 am

In other words, you're saying that after 12 rides, defined as going from point A to B as one, then it'll be free for the remainder of the week? If so, how do I know the start and end dates?

The start date will be the first day you ride the subway using that method of payment. The end date is +6 days, so if the first day you tap in is April 1 then the end date is April 1 + 6 days = April 7. After April 7, a new 7-day period will start the next time you tap again, so if you don't ride the subway again until April 9, then the next 7-day period doesn't start until April 9.
No subway expansion since?

No.
No discount on subway using OMNY card vs Apple Pay?

No.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 10:55 am

The biggest change in NYC is they stopped arresting people so people act crazy all over the city with no regard for the law and the cops just watch
Michaeljinnyc and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because people acting crazy all over the city and flouting the law is somehow a new thing
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
No new tourist attractions?
There's always something new in NYC.. depends what you're looking for.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
As a long time resident, there is a reason I have started flying 200K miles+ a year as of a few years ago, plus countless number of Amtrak trains and regional/longhaul buses, away from NYC at every opportunity I can have. While NYC still has a lot to offer, it is no longer a place I can recommend. My best advice would be enjoy but be vigilant, especially at night.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like a person who doesn't spend much time in NYC telling us what it's really like there out on the streets
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by nerd
Sounds like a person who doesn't spend much time in NYC telling us what it's really like there out on the streets
I still spend a lot of time in NYC caretaking my mom in between all of work/personal trips. These days, you can go to the other coast and come back the same day, if necessary.

If you find problematic with my view and rec below, feel free the engage in a civil discussion, or ignore. If you do, I would kindly request quote post me, so I can be alerted to it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
While NYC still has a lot to offer, it is no longer a place I can recommend. My best advice would be enjoy but be vigilant, especially at night.
​​​​​​
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:51 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
New Jersey transit and NYC transit are not combined so that 12 tap thing is only for MTA travel, not for PATH or other New Jersey fares
Repooc17 and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
New Jersey transit and NYC transit are not combined so that 12 tap thing is only for MTA travel, not for PATH or other New Jersey fares
Yep, PATH's new contactless payment system, TAPP, is currently in pilot across select station and turnstiles.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Yep, PATH's new contactless payment system, TAPP, is currently in pilot across select station and turnstiles.
So $16 from EWR to Penn Station and then whatever MTA will charge me to get to my final destination in Manhattan?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
So $16 from EWR to Penn Station and then whatever MTA will charge me to get to my final destination in Manhattan?
$2.90 for NYC subway

The $16 is for Airtrain to EWR rail station and then NJ transit to NY Penn Station.

PATH won't be necessary if you ride Airtrain/NJTransit. PATH another way to get to NYC, slower but cheaper, usually 62 bus from EWR to Newark Penn Station and then PATH train to NYC (33rd St bound with multiple stops in NYC or World Trade Center bound).
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:44 am

Things that have changed:
  • OMNY is great. On the "12 rides then it's free" thing there are a couple of nuances:
    • It's technically a $34 spending cap, not a 12-ride cap. So the first 11 rides are $2.90 each, your 12th ride is $2.10, and your 13th and subsequent rides are free.
    • Free transfers to/from buses are still a thing. Just tap using the same card or device.
    • If you tap twice (or more) in a row at the same station or on the same bus, it won't count the extra rides (only the first one) toward the cap. .
    • More details here: https://omny.info/fares
  • There is now a LOT more outdoor dining, including at many nicer restaurants.
  • E-bikes and e-scooters are now legal and there are a ton more people on bikes generally (including me most days) so traffic patterns are a little different. In particular, many cyclists are NOT good about stopping for red lights or yielding for pedestrians, so please be careful when crossing the street.
  • Motorized traffic has also grown more aggressive and chaotic, with lots of illegal mopeds and drivers running lights. But that seems to be a nationwide thing, not unique to NYC (and it's not like NYC was ever known for having calm drivers...).
  • I do think that homelessness has gotten a little worse, and crime is a little higher than it was pre-pandemic (as it is all over the US), but it's come down significantly from the 2021-2022 highs and it's still extraordinarily rare to be a victim of a crime in NYC. You're FAR more likely to be hurt in a car crash in suburban America than to be harmed in a crime in NYC.
  • Marijuana is legal to buy and possess (but not to smoke in public, although people certainly do it) and there are a handful of legal recreational dispensaries along with a couple thousand (yes, thousand) illegal dispensaries that operate openly, selling products of completely unknown provenance. If THC is your thing, please seek out the legal dispensaries where you know what you're buying (everything is tested and clearly labeled) and you're generally supporting a good cause (most of the legal dispensaries are operated by non-profit organizations, with a couple run by formerly incarcerated people, and they pay taxes).

Things that haven't changed: amazing food, entertainment, art, architecture, experiences, and people.
lsquare, ijgordon, dstan and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.