Wiki Posts
Search

Yankees game newbie help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2024, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IC Plat Elt, Hilton Diamond, QF silver
Yankees game newbie help

Hi All. I’m in NYC on Sunday 21st July -Tuesday 23rd July with my 10 year old son. He’s a Yankees fan and would love to go to a game. I’m a complete Baseball newbie so I was looking at what would be a good option for seating in Yankee Statium on Monday 22nd when the are playing the Tampa Bay rays. Any help or advice for a first timer is appreciated
Old Feb 24, 2024, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
When seeing baseball game you want to be closer to the field to see the ball. My preferences are behind home plate but not the first row, bring around the middle of the bottom section is better.

if you go in when the gates open they usually allow families with kids to get closer to the field during the warm ups even if you aren’t sitting there. Each time takes time on the field finishing around 20 minutes before game starts. This time you can get autographs of players.

inside the stadium they have gift shops you can buy some stuff.

is your child a base ball fan? They could teach you about that
Old Feb 25, 2024, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I agree with sitting behind the plate. My seating preference is upstairs in the grandstand, but still behind the plate. Best views are seats between 1st and 3rd. For day games, I'd suggest getting a seat between home and 1st to avoid the sun. If it's hot and sunny, seats on the 3rd base side can be bothersome. If this game is a night game, it won't matter where you sit.

Yankee Stadium upped their food offerings when the new stadium was built. If you like steak, Lobel's offers a steak sandwich at a round $17, and they're not skimpy. It beats getting 2 hot dogs at $6(?) each. Lobel's is an upscale meat purveyor in NYC.

dh
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Yankee Stadium upped their food offerings when the new stadium was built. If you like steak, Lobel's offers a steak sandwich at a round $17, and they're not skimpy. It beats getting 2 hot dogs at $6(?) each. Lobel's is an upscale meat purveyor in NYC.
I used to work for an employer that had the $1,000 seats on top of the Yankees dugout, which included unlimited food in some kind of VIP lounge. They offer a carving station, a pasta station, sushi, and other some such “premium” food. Other than the seats, which were great, I hated it. If I’m at a baseball game I want a hot dog!
Old Feb 25, 2024, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I agree with sitting behind the plate. My seating preference is upstairs in the grandstand, but still behind the plate. Best views are seats between 1st and 3rd. For day games, I'd suggest getting a seat between home and 1st to avoid the sun. If it's hot and sunny, seats on the 3rd base side can be bothersome. If this game is a night game, it won't matter where you sit.

dh
Quite possibly the most pathetic condiment station you'll ever see is at Yankee Stadium:

Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:00 am

The price of tickets varies hugely, from about $20 for the cheapest tickets (sometimes even less on Stubhub, as season ticketholders will often unload tickets for less desirable games at a loss) to well over $1,000 for the best seats. Different tickets also come with different amenities, with the more expensive seats often including access to lounges/restaurants and/or waiter service at your seat. But I agree with @Blumie that those amenities are kind of silly so I wouldn't pay extra just for those (there are plenty of decent a la carte options for food throughout the stadium).

When I take my family we usually try to sit in sections 418, 419, 420A, or 420B as close to the front of the section as possible (for night games 420C, 421 and 422 are just as good, but see @dhammer53's comment above about the sun for day games). Those sections are really high up, but still offer a good view, and they're FAR cheaper than sitting farther down. That said, if this will be your only Yankees experience and you aren't on a tight budget, sitting farther down is definitely better (there's a reason they charge more!). I've sat at the back of 122 a bunch of times when work is paying and the view from there is fantastic. I just can't justify the $300/seat price for my family of five to watch grown men play a game.

So I'd probably recommend looking for seats around the infield (i.e., sections X15 to X24) on the lowest level you can afford.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:03 pm

I have been a Yankees season ticket holder for over 15 years and I HATE sitting behind home plate. You lose all perspective of where the ball is going. It could be a pop up to 2nd base or a homerun, its impossible to tell.

My favorite spot is pretty much dead even with 1st or 3rd base. If its a night game either is fine, if its during the day you want to be in the shade. Obviously closer to the field is better, but even from the upper deck you will get a great view. I have spent many games in the range of section 427, in the front row and the view is great. You might be further from the action, but you can see the interplay of the players clearer, if thats something he is interested in. I personally love watching that just as much as the game itself.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 12:34 am

If you get to the stadium early enough, you can also check out Monument Park, which has plaques and tributes to Yankee greats across the years. It's located out in center field but the line to get in before the game can be pretty long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.