Special assistance at JFK?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2023, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Special assistance at JFK?

Never mind - sorted out.

Last edited by leelapa; Oct 21, 2023 at 2:04 pm Reason: not relevant
Old Oct 20, 2023, 12:24 pm

Do you know what airline you're flying? Delta and Virgin both fly into Terminal 4 at JFK, which has a specific program in place for assisting folks with autism and other hidden disabilities:
https://www.jfkt4.nyc/4info/accessibility
https://www.jfkt4.nyc/4news/article/...ties-lanyards/

Whether the average employee actually knows about it or not, I don't know. But if you print out those two web pages and bring them with you, I would HOPE it would save you a lot of trouble if you get a clueless employee. Same goes for other terminals at JFK (e.g., JetBlue at T5, BA at T7, AA at T8, etc.). While the management at other terminals may not have a specific program in place like at T4, I would still ask to use the accessible lanes at any JFK terminal and if questioned I would show the employees the materials from the T4 website and explain that you have a legitimate hidden disability and would appreciate reasonable accommodation.

(Also, I'd never heard of the sunflower lanyard thing, but that's very cool. Thanks for teaching me about that today!)
leelapa likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by themicah
Do you know what airline you're flying? Delta and Virgin both fly into Terminal 4 at JFK, which has a specific program in place for assisting folks with autism and other hidden disabilities:
https://www.jfkt4.nyc/4info/accessibility
https://www.jfkt4.nyc/4news/article/...ties-lanyards/

Whether the average employee actually knows about it or not, I don't know. But if you print out those two web pages and bring them with you, I would HOPE it would save you a lot of trouble if you get a clueless employee. Same goes for other terminals at JFK (e.g., JetBlue at T5, BA at T7, AA at T8, etc.). While the management at other terminals may not have a specific program in place like at T4, I would still ask to use the accessible lanes at any JFK terminal and if questioned I would show the employees the materials from the T4 website and explain that you have a legitimate hidden disability and would appreciate reasonable accommodation.

(Also, I'd never heard of the sunflower lanyard thing, but that's very cool. Thanks for teaching me about that today!)
Thanks for the info! I fly with British Airways, so I guess terminal 7? The sunflower lanyards are pretty well established in the UK now, and most employees at the London airports recognise them, but I don't think they're as widely known or used in the US!

I've checked out the JFK website, and they have a TSA Cares programme for the security screenings, but I don't think I need that. I wonder if it's fine to just show up and ask to use the accessibility lane at immigration, and explain that I have a hidden disability? That's what I've done everywhere else, but JFK is huge and intimidating!
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:55 am

Yes, BA flies into T7. TSA mainly controls security for departures so you're unlikely to deal with them until you fly back out. US Customs and Border Patrol run immigration. I expect it'll be fine to just show up and ask to use the accessibility lane, but it definitely can't hurt to print out the stuff from the T4 website showing that autism is a hidden disability eligible to use those lanes. Have a great visit!
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by themicah
Yes, BA flies into T7. TSA mainly controls security for departures so you're unlikely to deal with them until you fly back out. US Customs and Border Patrol run immigration. I expect it'll be fine to just show up and ask to use the accessibility lane, but it definitely can't hurt to print out the stuff from the T4 website showing that autism is a hidden disability eligible to use those lanes. Have a great visit!
T7? I thought they had moved to T8.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:51 am

D'oh. I haven't flown BA in a long time. It is indeed T8 now, not T7.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 11:41 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Good you sorted it out. Could you post the solution so the next flyer in your position has the info they might need?
leelapa likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Good you sorted it out. Could you post the solution so the next flyer in your position has the info they might need?
I wanted to remove personal/identifying info from the OP. I haven't really found a solution other than that theoretically I should be able to use the accessibility lane. I'll do as themicah suggested and print out a copy of what their website says, in case they argue that I'm not disabled and don't need help.

Will let you know how it goes!
nogoingback likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by leelapa
I wanted to remove personal/identifying info from the OP. I haven't really found a solution other than that theoretically I should be able to use the accessibility lane. I'll do as themicah suggested and print out a copy of what their website says, in case they argue that I'm not disabled and don't need help.

Will let you know how it goes!
Hi OP. How did it go at JFK? Myself and my children have hidden disabilities. Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.