FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

JFK Airtrain Finally Has OMNY

Contactless payments starting October 10th:

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...airtrain-omny/
Analise and guv1976 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
They have already started adding OMNY on some of the turnstiles when I went through last week at Jamaica.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

At the Jamaica station, the larger of the two subway connections (it also has an LIRR stop), the Port Authority installed three OMNY readers for travelers exiting the AirTrain, and one OMNY reader for those entering it. At Howard Beach, there is one reader for each direction of travel.

The readers are covered in black cloaks with cute patches that read "Use MetroCard at this time."
https://hellgatenyc.com/the-jfk-airt...ga-neverending
Old Oct 11, 2023, 6:07 pm

Am I right in thinking you can just use any contactless payment card? No need to pre-register it or anything? If so, that's a massive upgrade!
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:38 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by leelapa
Am I right in thinking you can just use any contactless payment card? No need to pre-register it or anything? If so, that's a massive upgrade!
That is true for OMNY. Registration is only needed if you want to track your trips online. But you can use any contactless card to pay.
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:10 pm

Great! Now when are they going to make the AirTrain free?
Old Oct 12, 2023, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

About time! I was last on the Airtrain on September 28 returning home from FRA. I was wondering when they would install OMNY or something similar.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
That is true for OMNY. Registration is only needed if you want to track your trips online. But you can use any contactless card to pay.
Including non-US ones? Such an upgrade! No lining up to put money on my Metrocard!
Old Oct 14, 2023, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by leelapa
Including non-US ones? Such an upgrade! No lining up to put money on my Metrocard!
I went through fast without looking carefully, but it looks like there is only one OMNY one entering Jamaica station (multiple exiting). I went through one of the MetroCard turnstiles (had a 10-trip MC) with nobody else during very nonpeak hours, and there was a line of there people at the OMNY one.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:05 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I went through fast without looking carefully, but it looks like there is only one OMNY one entering Jamaica station (multiple exiting). I went through one of the MetroCard turnstiles (had a 10-trip MC) with nobody else during very nonpeak hours, and there was a line of there people at the OMNY one.
At Jamaica, entering AirTrain, only the turnstile on the far right is set up for OMNY, exiting AirTrain there are two in the center. (The leftmost of the "exit only" turnstiles.) The remaining are MetroCard only.

In some other fora there have been questions as to why all the turnstiles don't take OMNY, the answer is that it is either/or. The OMNY ones are OMNY only, presumably it will remain this way until the PA and MTA work out the transition of the 30 day and 10 trip cards to OMNY. It also looks like the OMNY turnstiles might be a new design.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:02 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by dstan
Registration is only needed if you want to track your trips online.
Note this feature has been removed, even for registered accounts.

"This feature has been removed while we evaluate new tools to serve our customers."

I'd guess another security incident, like when they removed unauthenticated trip retrieval via card number.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by bennos
Note this feature has been removed, even for registered accounts.

"This feature has been removed while we evaluate new tools to serve our customers."

I'd guess another security incident, like when they removed unauthenticated trip retrieval via card number.
Oh no. I rely on that feature to get reimbursed from my pre-tax transit account!
Old Oct 21, 2023, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few weeks in, still a mess during rush hours exiting Jamaica.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did I get an extra day?

Airtrain 10 trip purchased on October 13 and used on the same day. Adding 30 days, including Oct 13, then Nov 11 should be the 30th day. I was able to exit Airtrain using the same 10 trip card on Nov 12.

Should I push my luck? Lol. Need to travel again on Nov 14.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Did I get an extra day?

Airtrain 10 trip purchased on October 13 and used on the same day. Adding 30 days, including Oct 13, then Nov 11 should be the 30th day. I was able to exit Airtrain using the same 10 trip card on Nov 12.

Should I push my luck? Lol. Need to travel again on Nov 14.
The MTA says that the card is good for 30 days from first use:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.