Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

NYC Public Transit Fare Increase 8/20/2023 (& other discussions re: the state of NYC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Public Transit Fare Increase 8/20/2023 (& other discussions re: the state of NYC)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2023, 9:49 am
Original Poster

NYC Public Transit fares will increase on August 20th.

Introduction of City Peak Times Ticket on MTA Commuter railroads of $7 for travel within in NYC like to/From Penn/Grand Central to Jamacia for those taking public transit to JFK via AirTrain.

Fare increase August 20th
$2.90 Subway/Local Bus
$7.00 Express Bus
$34 7-day MetroCard
$132 30-Day MetroCard
10% LIRR/MNRR increases > 6% increase max $0.50 MNRR increase to NY Fare Zones only/No Increase CT farezones
LIRR Off-Peak Discount reduced from 27.5% to 26%
MNRR Off Peak Discount increased from 25% to 26%
New City Ticket Peak Times at $7 no change $5 off-peak
Old Jul 20, 2023, 6:39 pm

Sigh 1/4 of the people who pass through do not pay, and the other 3/4 watch as the service becomes worse and worse every day.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by FlyingM
Sigh 1/4 of the people who pass through do not pay, and the other 3/4 watch as the service becomes worse and worse every day.
And many of that 3/4 voted for this in terms of their Governor and Mayor. As someone that lived in NYC (Manhattan from 1995 to 2013) what's happened in NYC is sad. I at times yearn for the city and then realize it's like an older adult now suffering from dementia and a shell of what they once were. I was talking to an old NYC friend the other day and he said the Chelsea neighborhood has become horrific with crime, drugs and homeless everywhere.
Repooc17 and FlyingM like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingM
We must use it for different things, then.

I take around 18 rides/week on the subway and service is much better than it was 6 or 7 years ago.
dhammer53 and ijgordon like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 4:07 pm

I find service is pretty good, too. I'd like to see them make transit free at least for kids under 18, and THEN crack down on fare evasion. I'd also like to see a major crackdown on motor vehicle license plate violations before they start busting kids for jumping turnstiles. There are SO many people driving around with fake or obscured or defaced license plates. I bike to work most days and can usually spot 20+ cars during my half hour ride that are involved in some kind of license plate shenanigans to avoid paying tolls. Plus a dozen or more illegal mopeds.
dhammer53 and dstan like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by EXP100
And many of that 3/4 voted for this in terms of their Governor and Mayor. As someone that lived in NYC (Manhattan from 1995 to 2013) what's happened in NYC is sad. I at times yearn for the city and then realize it's like an older adult now suffering from dementia and a shell of what they once were. I was talking to an old NYC friend the other day and he said the Chelsea neighborhood has become horrific with crime, drugs and homeless everywhere.
I am not one to discuss Politics, but, I certainly do not disagree with you. The politicians that represent the city are a complete joke, and out of touch. I didn't vote for our current Mayor (or the last one) but had high hopes for Adams anyway. What a complete Bozo he has turned out to be.

The city is NOTHING like it was, during the Bloomberg days. Honestly, I feel like things are getting back to the late '80s, early '90s. The difference then, was that walking zombies and crazies could be avoided in certain areas. Now... it's concentrated in every area.

Originally Posted by nerd
We must use it for different things, then.

I take around 18 rides/week on the subway and service is much better than it was 6 or 7 years ago.
It's constantly delayed for me (I take the Red Line from the UWS) and I honestly, feel incredibly uncomfortable taking it late at night, even for a short trip from Midtown to UWS. Pre-COVID -- I would take the train at 2am, without a second thought.

Originally Posted by themicah
I find service is pretty good, too. I'd like to see them make transit free at least for kids under 18, and THEN crack down on fare evasion. I'd also like to see a major crackdown on motor vehicle license plate violations before they start busting kids for jumping turnstiles. There are SO many people driving around with fake or obscured or defaced license plates. I bike to work most days and can usually spot 20+ cars during my half hour ride that are involved in some kind of license plate shenanigans to avoid paying tolls. Plus a dozen or more illegal mopeds.
The kids already have discounted / free transportation for School and out-of-school activities. The real issue is... and I notice this EVERY SINGLE DAY, at 72nd St, and Lex & 51st... is the fare evaders, are dressed in high-end tennis shoes, have the latest iPhone, and other expensive fashion and electronic accessories. These are simply not individuals who can not pay, but willingly choose to break the law. I have ZERO Sympathy for them, whatsoever.

As for defaced license plates, I don't completely disagree with you. I do not want people driving around with fake/no plates, but, the unfortunate fact -- is that's a much smaller issue, according to the MTA. Successful Payment rates at most toll bridges, and plazas are in the very high 96/97+ percent rate, and the fines & penalties for license plate defacement/toll fare evasion are very high.

Meanwhile... the inconvenient truth, is that certain Subway Platforms have non-payment rates exceeding 16% - 25%. I think personally, the rate at my station (72nd) is probably around 10 - 12%. The other unfortunate fact is internal NYPD Studies show that the individuals who commit violent crimes and muggings, typically start their crime sprees by beating the fare. The same studies show, that when fare enforcement increases, subway crimes fall dramatically.
Rare and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 4:50 pm
Suspended

I used to think that transit should be free. No more. Every single person should pay something for a ride, even $1 or whatever, since any decent person won’t have an issue with paying.

Fare evaders are thieves. All of them should be punished. Same for the thieves who steal from CVS…they are one and the same.
Rare, awayIgo and FlyingM like this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
For any transit system to be free at the point of use would require a huge subsidy from the public purse to cover the lost fare box income (though there would be savings from not having to pay to install and maintain ticket gates and machines)
Old Jul 24, 2023, 9:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
For any transit system to be free at the point of use would require a huge subsidy from the public purse to cover the lost fare box income (though there would be savings from not having to pay to install and maintain ticket gates and machines)
Those are significant savings. Major transits spend billions on those quickly outdated fare collection systems that could be used towards transit improvements
Old Jul 24, 2023, 12:34 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by EXP100
I spent a ton of time in Chelsea in 2022 and in March of this year and I didn't see any of the above, other than some unhoused people, which you see in every major city in America. We walked from Battery Park up to the middle of Central Park, over to the East side and to the Hudson River and back.

Most Trip Reports over at TripAdvisor mention the unhoused issues as well as lots of empty store fronts, but I'm not seeing many reports of crime (there was a pickpocket thread started last week as that did happen to a tourist), and you smell weed on and off, but I smelled weed here near LA yesterday, so again, an issue everywhere
Old Jul 24, 2023, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I spent a ton of time in Chelsea in 2022 and in March of this year and I didn't see any of the above, other than some unhoused people, which you see in every major city in America. We walked from Battery Park up to the middle of Central Park, over to the East side and to the Hudson River and back.

Most Trip Reports over at TripAdvisor mention the unhoused issues as well as lots of empty store fronts, but I'm not seeing many reports of crime (there was a pickpocket thread started last week as that did happen to a tourist), and you smell weed on and off, but I smelled weed here near LA yesterday, so again, an issue everywhere
What's unhoused? Oh you mean homeless.

I have been living in NYC for almost my entire adult life, and I have never seen it so bad. Every day, there are multiple reports of gun shootings; no borough and no neighborhood are spared. People injecting themselves with needles in broad daylight and in a busy area are common occurrence nowadays.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
What's unhoused?
I have been living in NYC for almost my entire adult life, and I have never seen it so bad.
I could not agree more, on that point. The stuff I have witnessed over the past two years has been absolutely shocking. Probably, the worst was watching a Armed Car Jacking happen in real-time, while in SoHo. I never in a million years, thought I'd ever see something like that. I've witnessed young boys steal a row of Bikes, from Target, and then pull a knife on a security guard. I've even walked past a Bank Branch, as it was being robbed - on the UES of all places, which, was basically a bizarre anomaly until recently.

People keep trying to deflect attention to the fact that the city is failing, and crime is prevailing. I still do not fully understand why. Why would anyone purposely want to create a wild west atmosphere, where violence flourishes? Why will the City District Attorney not prosecute criminals for firearm offenses?
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Out of my Element

Can't believe you are relying on TripAdvisor for crime reporting...did you know there was shooting in Times Square last week? Did TripAdvisor tell you that? There was also a shooting in Astoria around 10 days ago, which is unheard of, but TripAdvisor wouldn't tell you that.

Here is an account on Twitter/X which provides real time reporting of NYC crimes and incidents: https://twitter.com/NYC_Alerts911
Old Jul 25, 2023, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't believe you are relying on TripAdvisor for crime reporting...did you know there was shooting in Times Square last week? Did TripAdvisor tell you that? There was also a shooting in Astoria around 10 days ago, which is unheard of, but TripAdvisor wouldn't tell you that.
C'mon - I'm sure the Chicken Littles post on TripAdvisor, too.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 10:13 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos

Here is an account on Twitter/X which provides real time reporting of NYC crimes and incidents: https://twitter.com/NYC_Alerts911
Lots of Chicken Littles there, too. All I know is what I've seen and I've had boots on the ground for more than 20 days each year for the past 20 years, other than 2020, and other than more unhoused people and empty storefronts and easier to get Broadway discounts, the city seems pretty much the same to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.