Wiki Posts
Search

LGA/Queens/Brooklyn

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2023, 10:44 am
Original Poster

LGA/Queens/Brooklyn

Looking for some suggestions.

I have a 90 minute event on a weekday afternoon, in April, in lower Manhattan. I'll be flying into LGA. I've done all of the Manhattan stuff.

Right now, just planning to fly in, go to the event, stay at a LGA property (Marriott, Hilton, or IHG), and leave the next morning.

However, I'll have an entire later afternoon/evening to walk around in Queens or maybe Brooklyn. And I'll use Uber/taxis.

Any can't miss things to see in Queens or Brooklyn or suggestions otherwise. If there is enough todo, I may stay an extra day.

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2023, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Given the time of year, a visit to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden would be a good option. https://www.bbg.org/collections/cherries

The Brooklyn Museum is next door: https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/
lamphs and dhammer53 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
I've done all of the Manhattan stuff.
I've lived here for 20+ years and still haven't done a fraction of "all of the Manhattan stuff." Heck, last week I spent an afternoon just walking around my own neighborhood and managed to visit 20 some art galleries I'd never been to before.

Checking out Brooklyn and Queens is cool, too, but I assure you there is a lifetime worth of more stuff to do in Manhattan!
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
If you're staying near LGA and have an afternoon/evening, you can walk around Jackson Heights, Queens, and get some amazing food. Among my personal favorites are the Jackson Diner for Indian and Mustang Thakali Kitchen for Tibetan/Nepali. Both of those restaurants are right by the subway station, which is also where the Q70 bus from LGA stops. There's also a historical district in the neighborhood with many beautiful garden co-op apartment buildings - that makes for a pleasant walk, assuming the weather is decent.

You can also take a short ride on the 7 train from Jackson Heights to Flushing to get amazing Chinese food.
lamphs and awayIgo like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by themicah
I've lived here for 20+ years and still haven't done a fraction of "all of the Manhattan stuff." Heck, last week I spent an afternoon just walking around my own neighborhood and managed to visit 20 some art galleries I'd never been to before.

Checking out Brooklyn and Queens is cool, too, but I assure you there is a lifetime worth of more stuff to do in Manhattan!
Poor choice of words on my part re: Manhattan. I was thinking this was an opportunity to broaden my horizons in NYC.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:53 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
The Brooklyn navy shipyard

This site has a lot history and today it is still being used for art and industry
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 11:14 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
If you're staying near LGA and have an afternoon/evening, you can walk around Jackson Heights, Queens, and get some amazing food. Among my personal favorites are the Jackson Diner for Indian and Mustang Thakali Kitchen for Tibetan/Nepali. Both of those restaurants are right by the subway station, which is also where the Q70 bus from LGA stops. There's also a historical district in the neighborhood with many beautiful garden co-op apartment buildings - that makes for a pleasant walk, assuming the weather is decent.

You can also take a short ride on the 7 train from Jackson Heights to Flushing to get amazing Chinese food.
+1 on stopping for a meal in Jackson Heights. I had a great meal on the way home from LGA yesterday. Queens is one of the most diverse urban areas in the world with 138 languages spoken.
lamphs likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

I just wanted to report back.

I stayed at Hotel Indigo in Flushing. A fairly new property. Had a good view of the Manhattan skyline and Citi Field. Also, it had a free shuttle to/from LGA. I should also mention that the United Club at LGA was quite nice (as was Terminal B itself).

Citi Field looked intriguing. I went to the Padres game (for a win). I tried to tell the serious Mets' fan next to me that I was a Yankee's fan. He laughed and said that I neither had the accent nor the attitude to pull that off. (And Citi Field was just one stop away from Flushing Main Street.)

Rather than going to any specific attractions the next day, I decided to take the 7 Line to 52nd Street and walk back. It was a beautiful day. Walked through many diverse neighborhoods. And had some good food along the way. I did divert off of Roosevelt Avenue a few times along the way. The entire walk took about 4 hours, with stops along the way.

My event was that evening. An easy ride to lower Manhattan and back. I had dinner in a Korean restaurant a few blocks from the hotel. After dinner, I walked another 15 blocks on Roosevelt Avenue in the opposite direction.

I guess everyone thinks of Manhattan when thinking of NYC. Queens definitely has something to add and I hope to have the opportunity to explore it some more, especially the food!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.