Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Late Midnight Coffee/Tea/Bakery Options Near New York Penn Station

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2021, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Late Midnight Coffee/Tea/Bakery Options Near New York Penn Station

Dear folks,

I would have a 2h30min transfer at the New York Penn station in the upcoming days ( May 2021 ) from about 10:30-11:00pm till 01:00-01:30am.

Pre-COVID, there was a Starbucks open at the old Penn Station ( not the Moynihan Building ) that closed at 01:00am and was a perfect space to spend time while waiting for a red-eye departure. Unfortunately, that store now closes earlier in the evening and that was the only place in NYP station which offered tables and chairs for their customers rather than a grab-and-go concept in the later hours.

So my question is, is there any location where I could actually sit, drink something like coffee/tea, maybe enjoy some bakery items at that time around New York Penn Station that would allow me to sit in their dining area. I am not looking for a restaurant type place as I would have baggage but a place that I could have something, sit and enjoy Wi-Fi. I am OK to walk 10-15 blocks. I am also OK for a self-service restaurant/fast-food chain ( McDonald's, etc... ) which would let me sit for 90+ minutes, though it shouldn't be take-away only.

Sidenote: The Amtrak waiting hall wouldn't work for me as my onward travel from NYC is by bus which would depart somewhere near Penn Station.

Thank you for your help.
Old May 22, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
There is a ticketed waiting area in Moynihan (not the Amtrak lounge) - would that work? I don't know how enforced the waiting area is for ticketed passengers (or people who at least look like they're traveling). Worst case it is enforced, but since it's shared with LIRR, you can buy a ticket for a few dollars to Woodside; there are departures after midnight so it's a feasible story.

There is still a covid indoor dining midnight curfew until May 31 so your options are going to be very limited. I think your best option would be Koreatown, 32nd St between 5th and 6th Ave. A few cafe/bakery places might be open until midnight particularly Fri/Sat night, Tous Les Jours and Grace Street come to mind. Grace Street transitions to table service (pre-Covid) with $10 minimum. However plan on loud atmospheres, not quiet coffee shop vibes, at night. Hours of operation are changing rapidly right now so it's worth checking for any updates day of travel.

On restaurant - if you have 1 piece of carryon luggage I wouldn't think twice about that being a barrier. I've done that plenty of times in ktown at least and have seen others do it too. I would avoid all fast food locations (e.g. McD) around Penn Station at any time of day and especially at night.
Old May 22, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
There is a ticketed waiting area in Moynihan (not the Amtrak lounge) - would that work? I don't know how enforced the waiting area is for ticketed passengers (or people who at least look like they're traveling). Worst case it is enforced, but since it's shared with LIRR, you can buy a ticket for a few dollars to Woodside; there are departures after midnight so it's a feasible story.
I didn't know LIRR passengers could have used the waiting area. There is an attendant at the entrance checking tickets and entry is restricted to ticketed passengers only.
Also, I might buy a refundable Amtrak ticket and refund it at a later stage.

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
There is still a covid indoor dining midnight curfew until May 31 so your options are going to be very limited. I think your best option would be Koreatown, 32nd St between 5th and 6th Ave. A few cafe/bakery places might be open until midnight particularly Fri/Sat night, Tous Les Jours and Grace Street come to mind. Grace Street transitions to table service (pre-Covid) with $10 minimum. However plan on loud atmospheres, not quiet coffee shop vibes, at night. Hours of operation are changing rapidly right now so it's worth checking for any updates day of travel.

On restaurant - if you have 1 piece of carryon luggage I wouldn't think twice about that being a barrier. I've done that plenty of times in ktown at least and have seen others do it too. I would avoid all fast food locations (e.g. McD) around Penn Station at any time of day and especially at night.
Yes, I know the safety issues around Penn Station and thanks for telling me about the dining curfew. I would check Koreatown and I would be traveling with a carry-on size bag and a backpack. By the way, both of the places you mentioned look like OK to me.

Once again thanks for your suggestion.
Old May 22, 2021, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've gone into the new waiting area many times and the attendant never gives more than a passing glance at my ticket from 3 feet away.
Old May 22, 2021, 12:09 pm

How about a hotel lobby? Plenty of options within 10-15 blocks.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Petdog
How about a hotel lobby? Plenty of options within 10-15 blocks.
Makes super sense!
Old May 22, 2021, 7:33 pm

Cafe Bravo on the corner of 30th/9th used to be my go-to spot for a coffee before Rangers games. It used to be 24 hours but I can't speak to it post COVID now... It's really a deli/bodega place but they do have some tables. Not the most comfortable but definitely convenient.

The best dessert in NYC is at Ayza (31st b/w 6th and 5th; a 5-10 minute walk depending on how quick you are). This would be my recommendation and it gets you away from the craze of the Penn Station/MSG/7th Ave area. It's a chocolate/wine bar with a large outdoor area. They should be open and have fantastic coffee. You can get an incredible espresso martini if you're really feeling crazy haha.

It's hard to say who has what hours right now. Google Maps is not accurate, unfortunately. Local (31st/8th) was always a good spot too, and their huge back terrace should be open, allowing you to sit outside.

Others mentioned Ktown. This will definitely be lively and is just a few blocks east. Head straight down 31st and you can come back on 32nd if you don't see anything appealing initially.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses

In the end I looked at your solutions and could report that;

- Tous Les Jours were closing their dining room at 11:15pm. They were to-go only after that time.
- There were about 20 people waiting for Grace and they were closing at 11:30pm. So no luck over there.
- While walking, couldn't spot Ayza.
- It was raining hard so didn't go too far to spot other options.

Headed to the old Penn station as Moynihan is closed after late-evening. Until 12am several convenience stores, coffee shops and Haagen Dazs were open and was able to sit at a quiet corner in the floor alongside with some other NJT passengers. At midnight, police officers came and told us that sitting is not permitted and we need to stand. The Amtrak waiting area was open but didn't accept LIRR or NJT tickets. So, I eventually did a 15-20 minute walk + sat/stood up at Penn Station for 1h30mins.

Maybe wasn't worth the hassle though I saved a lot of money where Amtrak and air prices were super high due to the Memorial Day weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.