Wiki Posts
Search

Broadway: What's Closed, Cancelled, Reopening, or Rescheduled

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2021, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Broadway: What's Closed, Cancelled, Reopening, or Rescheduled

The good people at the Theatre Development Fund (TDF) are maintaining an updated list of Broadway show Reopenings, Reschedulings, Closings and Cancellations.

The list can be found HERE.
dstan likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 5:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Has anyone heard of any shows taking place outdoors during the summer?
Old May 14, 2021, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeTheLights
Has anyone heard of any shows taking place outdoors during the summer?
Here's what I know about, and it's an incomplete list. Some venues have announced that they will be producing but haven't released a schedule

NOTE: Many of the previously free, walk up venues will be requiring reservations or tickets. Check with the venue in advance.

Bryant Park will have a performance series. They are trying to host some of the venues that are currently closed. They have released a schedule
Shakespeare in The Park will produce Merry Wives of Windsor and possibly something else
Celebrate Brooklyn is planning to produce. No schedule yet.
Lincoln Center will be producing shows from many of its constituents I haven't seen a schedule.
River to River is producing and has released a schedule.
Something will be happening on Governor's Island.
Little Islands (Pier 55) is planning to produce. No schedule yet.
Forest Hills Stadium is presenting. Partial schedule available
Central Park Summerstage is presenting. Partial schedule available.
Jones Beach is presenting. Partial schedule available. There will be the Air Show over Memorial Day weekend
Garden State Arts Center is presenting. Partial schedule available. (Very similar to Jones Beach)
SeeTheLights likes this.

Last edited by AMflier; May 20, 2021 at 11:48 am Reason: Added venues. Added Note
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:03 am
Original Poster

A quick note and a bump, The Governor's Ball, historically on Governor's Island has been expanded and moved to Citifield.

The opening Philharmonic concerts at Bryant Park were great!
Old Jun 18, 2021, 7:31 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by AMflier
The good people at the Theatre Development Fund (TDF) are maintaining an updated list of Broadway show Reopenings, Reschedulings, Closings and Cancellations.

The list can be found HERE.
Great list, thanks for posting! Love TDF!
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

I actually went to a Play tonight!

I actually went to a Play tonight!

Granted, it was an invited dress rehearsal, but Robert Icke's adaptation of Ibsen's An Enemy of the People, now an interactive one women show starring Ann Dowd (The Handmaid's Tail's Aunt Lydia) opens Tuesday, 6/22 in the Park Avenue Armory. The Armory is large enough so that the audience pods can be safely distanced.

Info

We're getting closer to normal.
dstan likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Trip Report: Broadway Show

We went to see Hadestown last night. It's a tremendous show. This was our experience. I suspect that it is similar at the other Broadway venues, YMMV.

Tickets are all electronic. I bought them at the box office, but they were still delivered through the SeatGeek app.

Theaters open 45 minutes prior to the performance instead of the customary half hour. The line to get into the theater was quite long when we arrived at 6:20 for a 7:00 curtain. Be prepared to wait a bit outside.

They have gotten good at moving the audience along. There have a lot of people directing you. Yelling was minimal.

Masks are required. Proof of vax is required. Performers are not masked. Musicians not playing brass or woodwinds were masked onstage.

First stop was the proof of vaccine check. They actually check. The DOB on my excelsior pass wasn't visible. They made me scroll it up before checking my ID. Second stop was a bag check. Third stop was a metal detector (not sure all theaters have this) then into the lobby where your tickets are electronically scanned. Once in the theater, it was a typical Broadway experience.

We had orchestra seats. Every seat in that section was sold. No distancing with seating. First row was also sold, I wasn't sure if they would have a buffer zone from the stage; they didn't.

They were selling food / drinks and you were allowed to lower your masks to consume.

RIghtly or wrongly I was a bit unnerved by the amount of people in the theater and their proximity. I haven't been with that many people that close together in two years. I'm not sure that I was prepared for "normal"

Completely enjoyed the show. It's a new take on a very old story. It started slow but built to "wow".
dstan and ijgordon like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 3:12 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Thanks for the report! Have been wondering what shows & movies are like these days.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 8:06 am
Original Poster

What I'm hearing from the larger concert halls is that they want 90-ish minute concerts with no intermission. At one of the major concert halls, I know that this policy is in effect through at least mid January.

We also went to the MET Opera Simulcast of Fire Shut Up in My Bones at BAM's movie theaters It was pretty much the same protocols as Broadway, and just as crowded. It's also one of the better modern operas that I've seen in years.

The neighborhood movie theater....I haven't gone yet.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

A sign of things returning to something closer to "Normal", Sleep No More, an immersive take on The Scottish Play reopens on 2/14/22. There will be new protocols, but it's still a worthwhile experience.

Also Music Man with Hugh Jackman has opened.

During the Omicronn surge, Broadway stopped selling food and drinks. I haven't heard if those sales have resumed, but I suspect that they have.

There are a lot of deals at the TKTS booth. A couple more shows are mostlikely nearing the end of their runs.

Last edited by AMflier; Feb 12, 2022 at 11:07 pm
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:09 pm

I went to the Music Man with Hugh Jackman last month and it was amazing. They were not selling drinks at the time. Not sure if it is resumed now.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I saw American Utopia for the fifth time last night. I didn’t notice if the concessions were open. But the show closes April 3. If you’re a David Byrne/Talking Heads fan, this is your last chance!
Old Mar 25, 2022, 10:14 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by gbdbld
I went to the Music Man with Hugh Jackman last month and it was amazing. They were not selling drinks at the time. Not sure if it is resumed now.
Just saw it tonight. So good. My wife bought water, so I guess that means drinks are being sold.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Broadway Mask & Vaccine Update

Vaccination and Mask Policy for Broadway Shows in NYC

Source

The owners and operators of all 41 Broadway theaters in New York City have extended the current mask requirement for audiences through at least May 31, 2022, but many will no longer check vaccination status after April 30, 2022.

While masking mandates will remain in place at all Broadway theaters through at least May 31, many theaters may no longer require that audience members provide proof of vaccination. Please consult the show website or point of purchase for information about proof of vaccination requirements for your show. You will also find links listed per show to the individual theater owner sites below.

Audience masking protocols for June and beyond will be announced in May.

Also a shout out to the Martin Crimp adaptation of Cyrano de Bergerac at BAM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.