Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR - midtown Manhattan, how long?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

EWR - midtown Manhattan, how long?

Okay -- I have never before flown in/out of EWR! Assuming my flight is on time (a big assumption, I know), how long does it take to get to midtown Manhattan by PATH (to Herald Square) and/or NJ Transit (to Penn Station)? Which would be better?

Or is it better to take PATH to the WTC, and then change to ABC or 123 subway lines to get to midtown?

I would rather avoid cab/Uber, given the uncertainty of rush hour traffic. Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:34 pm

I take NJ Transit very often and I would say about about 20-25 minutes for the three stops, either way (assumption that there are no delays and stops en route).
I find NJ Transit way more convenient since it's directly linked to the AirTrain after getting into/out of the airport.

Last edited by risenmyth; Jan 16, 2020 at 6:43 pm
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:42 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
You are much better off using NJ Transit. They have two different lines that stop at the airport station (Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line) so there are a lot of trains to chose from. Amtrak also stops there but is more expensive and runs on the same track. Both bo from the airport right to Penn Station in Midtown. PATH would mean a bunch of train changes and wasted time. As risenmyth said, 20-25 minutes from the airport station to Penn Station NY and add about 10 minutes to go from Terminal C to the airport rail station.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
NJ transit is the way go to. Get the phone app and avoid standing in line at the user-hostile ticket machines.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by dulcamara
NJ transit is the way go to. Get the phone app and avoid standing in line at the user-hostile ticket machines.
New app is way better than the old, garbage one. I love it now.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Practically speaking, I would expect 45 minutes from deplaning to detraining (in Penn Station). The NJ Transit train ride itself is like 20-25 minutes. Add walking, the AirTrain, and waiting. If it's on the weekend the NJ Transit train schedules have some pretty big gaps (sometimes 40 minutes between trains), so I'd keep an eye on the schedule and consider taking the Newark Airport Express bus.

Also, whether or not your flight is on time will have no real bearing on how long it will take to get to Midtown. @:-)
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
If it's on the weekend the NJ Transit train schedules have some pretty big gaps (sometimes 40 minutes between trains), so I'd keep an eye on the schedule and consider taking the Newark Airport Express bus.
Good advice, also be aware NJ transit midday or late night schedule is more sparse than during rush hour since it's primarily a commuter railroad. During midday you might wind up waiting a while (10 - 30 mins) if you just happen to miss one of the Penn Station bound trains.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 8:38 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hi All,
I arrive into EWR on Alaska Airlines tomorrow
How do I reach my Northeast Regional train to Stamford CT?
One agent @ Amtrak said take the monorail to the train and another agent said the Amtrak station
is across the street from the terminal facing the parking garage
Quite confused and appreciate any help or guidance Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2022, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Hi All,
I arrive into EWR on Alaska Airlines tomorrow
How do I reach my Northeast Regional train to Stamford CT?
One agent @ Amtrak said take the monorail to the train and another agent said the Amtrak station
is across the street from the terminal facing the parking garage
Quite confused and appreciate any help or guidance Thanks
You take the monorail (EWR AirTrain) to EWR rail station (the end of the line), and board Amtrak there.

Or, you can take the #62 bus or a taxi/Uber from any terminal at EWR to Newark Penn Station, if you have a ticket from Newark Penn Station to Stamford.

More information here:

https://www.newarkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 11, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
You take the monorail (EWR AirTrain) to EWR rail station (the end of the line), and board Amtrak there.

Or, you can take the #62 bus or a taxi/Uber from any terminal at EWR to Newark Penn Station, if you have a ticket from Newark Penn Station to Stamford.

More information here:

https://www.newarkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train
Your awesome👍
Where is the monorail? In the actual terminal? My ticket states EWR to Stamford CT business class
if I arrive @5:30 PM and I have to collect bags enough time to catch the monorail and get to the train?
great link btw should be on the Amtrak site!
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your awesome👍
Where is the monorail? In the actual terminal? My ticket states EWR to Stamford CT business class
if I arrive @5:30 PM and I have to collect bags enough time to catch the monorail and get to the train?
great link btw should be on the Amtrak site!
That depends. What time does the train depart?

There is an AirTrain station landside in each of EWR's three terminals.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:28 pm

7 PM departure
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7 PM departure
I'd say that if you collect your checked luggage by ~ 6:15 pm, you should make your Amtrak departure.

Note that your Amtrak ticket includes the $8 charge to pass through the fare gates at EWR Rail Station, so do not buy any other tickets. You will show your Amtrak ticket to the attendant at the fare gates, and (s)he will then let you pass.

Edited to add: AS uses Terminal B at EWR. You should see an AirTrain sign that looks like this:

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 11, 2022 at 11:12 pm
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:33 pm

Someone needs to hire you. What a mass of confusion when you call.
One agent said change trains in Penn Station and that there is no monorail /air train
You have to catch a shuttle outside the terminal
If I'm running late I will cancel and re book.Hopefully my flight is on time.Fingers crossed
Thank you again.Absolutely valuable information in the nick of time! Hope I can help you out sometime
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone needs to hire you. What a mass of confusion when you call.
One agent said change trains in Penn Station and that there is no monorail /air train
You have to catch a shuttle outside the terminal
If I'm running late I will cancel and re book.Hopefully my flight is on time.Fingers crossed
Thank you again.Absolutely valuable information in the nick of time! Hope I can help you out sometime
My pleasure! That's what FlyerTalk is all about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.