Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Best way from Penn Station to Yankee Stadium?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM

Hello New Yorkers. I might be traveling to Yankee Stadium for a game next year. If arriving at Penn Station, what's the best subway route to Yankee Stadium? Is it the E to 4 train or something else which may be better? Many thanks in advance.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The E doesn’t connect to the 4, you’d have to transfer to the 6 at Lexington/51St (a bit of an annoying transfer) and then transfer again to the 4 downstairs at 59th.

You could do the A train to 125 or 145 and then transfer to the D (or B if it’s peak direction rush hour - basically the afternoon).

Or if you find yourself closer to the 7th Ave side of Penn Station, you could take the 1 train to 59th/Columbus and then the D/B.

Google maps will give you a good indication as well with estimated travel times.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The E doesn’t connect to the 4, you’d have to transfer to the 6 at Lexington/51St (a bit of an annoying transfer) and then transfer again to the 4 downstairs at 59th.

You could do the A train to 125 or 145 and then transfer to the D (or B if it’s peak direction rush hour - basically the afternoon).

Or if you find yourself closer to the 7th Ave side of Penn Station, you could take the 1 train to 59th/Columbus and then the D/B.

Google maps will give you a good indication as well with estimated travel times.
Thank you very much! I lost sight of the fact the 4 doesn't stop at 51st Street... only the 6.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:51 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
You could also walk a block to 6th Ave / 34th Street and take the B/D from there directly.
Repooc17 and themicah like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I’d be inclined to do the A to the D. It’s an easy transfer, so I’d opt for that over walking over to 6th Avenue.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:09 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Practice?
themicah likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mhy
You could also walk a block to 6th Ave / 34th Street and take the B/D from there directly.
This is the best recommendation.

- Lifelong New Yorker

Originally Posted by Blumie
I’d be inclined to do the A to the D. It’s an easy transfer, so I’d opt for that over walking over to 6th Avenue.
​​​​Penn Station is on 7th, so you would have to walk over to 8th to catch the A/C. No time savings vs. heading to 6th Ave.
mhy likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
​​​​Penn Station is on 7th, so you would have to walk over to 8th to catch the A/C. No time savings vs. heading to 6th Ave.
As a lifelong New Yorker, you undoubtedly have noticed that Penn Station stretches from 7th Avenue to 8th. And assuming the OP is not being teletransported to the 7th Avenue front entrance, he may well arrive by train on a track closer to the 8th Avenue side.

That having been said, there’s not a huge difference between the two options, but when I arrive by train I find connecting to the A/C/E lines just as easy as connecting to the 1/2/3 (or walking to 6th Avenue, which I’ve done many times as well). It’s also been my observation that outside of the morning rush hour, the Penn Station A/C/E subway station is less of a zoo than the Herald Sq subway station, and in particular the Herald Sq area around the subway station (though, again, not a major factor).

One final, and possibly deciding, factor is whether the OP will have any time to kill between arriving at Penn Station and departing to Yankee Stadium. Among the good eating options in the area are Pizza Suprema, on 8th Avenue between 30th and 31st, for a great slice (I’m a particular fan of their Sicilian and Grandma square slices), and Keens Chop House, on 36th Street a little east of 6th Avenue, where I enjoy sitting at the bar and ordering off their more casual pub menu (including a great chicken-under-a-brick, a sinfully good roast beef hash, and a very respectable steakhouse burger).
Petdog, andrewesque, nerd and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Practice?
I’m pretty sure that’s how you get to Carnegie Hall.
ryw, GadgetFreak, themicah and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:00 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
A/C -> B/D at 59th if arriving closer to 8th avenue. Transferring to the B/D at 59th is easy - just stay on the same platform.

Walk to 6th and take the B/D from 34th St - Herald Square if arriving closer to 7th avenue.
themicah likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. You've set me up with some good options!
mhy likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mhy
Walk to 6th and take the B/D from 34th St - Herald Square if arriving closer to 7th avenue.
My preferred option to accomplish this is to walk east on 32nd street, enter the Manhattan Mall on the north side of 32nd, and then enter the 34th St. Herald Square Station through the lower level of JC Penny's.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Not mentioned earlier. If attending a mid-week game which will start in the evening (unless a matinee) you should take the A/C uptown and transfer at 59th St as mentioned earlier. If you arriving PA station for evening game that translates to you are arriving PA station during evening commute home and no human should try to walk East on 31-34th St to get to B/D on 6th Ave if can avoid it because the majority of people are walking in your direction (with a high level of urgency) to catch their train homes.
Sidebar - the only advantage you can have in this scenario during evening rush is many passengers deboard at 34th St so if you are seeking a seat for the long trip to the Bronx it might be the best place to find one during evening rush hour on B or D.
If the game is a matinee or weekend - you can choose either method but I'd take the A/C uptown to 59th St and transfer because it has one-two less stops to 59th St (A C stops at 42, and maybe 50th (if local) vs B D stops at 42, 47th, 7th Ave) so if you factor in the time to walk to 6th Ave plus extra stops - not worth the effort IMO as the transfer is very easy.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:27 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Blumie
I’m pretty sure that’s how you get to Carnegie Hall.
I will keep on tossing you softballs to hit out of the park!
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I will keep on tossing you softballs to hit out of the park!
Very much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.