Wiki Posts
Search

Hudson yards Highline

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Hudson yards Highline

Nice day tomorrow, thinking of going to Hudson Yards, highline

anyone been there? Tourist but ok thought it might be interesting for a nice day walking around
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold, B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, CET 7*, MLIFE Plat, Cosmo Gold
Be prepared for the crowds, for both the Highline and Hudson Yards, especially given the nice weather tomorrow. Since Hudson Yards opening last weekend, there has been immense crowds, especially if you want to go to The Vessel. If you want to visit the new Hudson Yards shopping center, be prepared to wait a long time. They've been doing crowd control and only letting people in as people come out.

Last edited by easy_money; Mar 23, 2019 at 11:26 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Went there yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. Wow, was it crowded! The northern part of the High Line (north of 23rd Street) has usually been the least crowded, but it slowed to a crawl for many stretches up to Hudson Yards. Tons of people milling around and gawking at The Vessel. The Shops (aka the mall) was packed. Definitely know where to avoid when tourist season hits its peak in the summer...I think the folks who designed the original High Line layout are going to regret not going for a wider walkway on that northern portion up to 30th Street.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold, B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, CET 7*, MLIFE Plat, Cosmo Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Went there yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. Wow, was it crowded! The northern part of the High Line (north of 23rd Street) has usually been the least crowded, but it slowed to a crawl for many stretches up to Hudson Yards. Tons of people milling around and gawking at The Vessel. The Shops (aka the mall) was packed. Definitely know where to avoid when tourist season hits its peak in the summer...I think the folks who designed the original High Line layout are going to regret not going for a wider walkway on that northern portion up to 30th Street.
Agree with the walkway. Especially when it approaches from both the north and/or south sides towards Hudson Yards, it gets more narrow right there. Problem is there's not much expansion they could or could've done. Partly because of the existing train tracks that are still there.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Weren't they kind of constrained by the size of the original railbed?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by nerd
They are and there are points it gets pretty tight in the summer with a single file in each direction with the crowds. I love the place in the winter when it is pretty empty using it to commute instead of the street. Staying away from the north with the Hudson Yards opening.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by nerd
Yes, but they are using only about half of the elevated platform as a walkway, with the rest landscaped out. I went back yesterday and it was crowded pretty much all the way up and down from 14th Street until it curves out to the West Side Highway at 30th Street. It's going to be absolutely brutal come summertime.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The landscaping is what makes it a park and worth going to.

It would be almost deserted if it was a bland, elevated walkway with no planting.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The landscaping is what makes it a park and worth going to.

It would be almost deserted if it was a bland, elevated walkway with no planting.
Really? I thought the plantings all pretty much looked like weeds!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Really? I thought the plantings all pretty much looked like weeds!
"One person's weed is another person's wildflower."

https://www.thehighline.org/gardens/
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:32 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I was a collateral casualty of the Hudson Yards traffic on Saturday on my drive out to NJ. I normally take 31st St to the short Expressway that leads into the Lincoln Tunnel, but construction around Hudson Yards had the Expressway closed so I was forced onto 10th Avenue in front of Hudson Yards and the mix of people using the parking lots and commercial vehicles exiting the mall created a pretty solid gridlock. I'll need to re-think my routes in this area if the construction closures become a regular thing.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:29 pm

Bumping this thread...

Is the Vessel still packed? Thinking about going before Xmas...should I wait til the free 14-day window opens?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:57 pm

Yes, packed. Walked by 9am Sunday and people were lined up. The whole area is very, very busy.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:58 pm

Pass by there almost on a daily basis, it has died down quite a bit. The tickets are time slotted and there's a daily limit now I believe. You can purchase tickets in advance for the day of (if available) for the time you think you will be going around. If you're unsure, you can always buy the flex ticket for $10 which covers the whole day and is available 6 months in advance. Even though it's during the Xmas holiday, I'm not sure if it will be packed at all considering how cold it would be.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Thanks for bringing this back to the top of the list!

I'd totally forgot about The Veessel (I saw some of the early contruction and had no idea what it was) so I've booked a couple of tickets for next week (earliest was Monday)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.